IGNORED

Autechre Live in LA. The MP3.

Guest maus

actually i'd have to say this recording is better than having been there. i'm not being beat down by a bass barrage. it's not crowded as all fuck like it was at the show (really seemed like they over sold the thing). i'm not tired and i can take it in. Autechre stuff is always better in a recorded state so you can take it all. and i'm looking at just about the same thing as i would be at the show which is to say nothing.

you guys that didn't get to make it to that physical space that Sean and Rob were in, and are listening to this, you've done yourself a service by saving some money, you didn't have to wait through Massonix and you still came out on the better end of the audio, really.

hahahah WRONG. its better to listen to a mic recorded MP3 in your house than to be at an autechre GIG????? WTF are you talking about??? yeah id much rather drink tea and have my slippers on whislt letting the muddy MPS3 surround me in mono goodness instead of being in a venue listening to a live perfromance of one of the best live artists on the planet on a huge soundsystem surrounded by other like minded people raving and having a good time.

eh you're just saying that cause you weren't there. like minded people, hardly. obviously you've never been to Hollywood. these are the least "live" (or lack of live) artists i've ever seen. live is about a show and they are more void of show then anyone i've ever paid to see. a live show is not just about the music, it's about the artist being there and you're extremely lucky if these buzz killers even acknowledge the audience. MP3 ftw.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest burnibus

live for you is about the show and not just about the music. for me and for autechre and for many of their fans its about how they recreate music with live interaction with their instruments in a live environment. you are right i haven't been to hollywood and maybe its a bit wierd with the people but seeing an act i love play live on a big soundsystem is amazing. If you are after live crowd interaction and a show you are out of luck with electronic music. the very nature of it makes it notoriously difficult to do these things and only a very few artists even try to put on a performance let alone do it successfully. However listening to live music in a club IS what its all about somewhere to dance and feel the Sound pressure levels literally move you. Autechres music is borne out of a live scene. going to gigs and playing tunes as a DJ or a PA. its this environment which has made it possible for acts like autechre to create their music. i can buy an infinite number of CD's and records but the best musical experiences ive ever had have alwasy been in a live envorinment.

the bottom line is if you think a recording of a gig in mono in poor quality is better than being at the venue hearing it live in full range stereo then whats the point? why do any of the artists we love make their musik which is dance orientated? why do soo many artists dedicate so much time to presenting their music in a live enironment? i know people are different and crowds make nights but generally your view just seems a bit backwards

i have significantly cleaned up the recording using mastering techniques and i think it sounds a whole lot better now. only problem is i dont want any backlash from rencode nazis so what do i do? its a wave file right now how can i put it back in mp3 form without making pretend audiophiles very upset and holier than thou?

I vote for no FLAC. Or if you do FLAC, decode it as an MP3 and re-post it since I suck at FLAC on MACs. But yea, haven't listened to it much since I want to be fresh for next week. I pretty much know what to expect anyway. Can't wait to hear IO.

i have significantly cleaned up the recording using mastering techniques and i think it sounds a whole lot better now. only problem is i dont want any backlash from rencode nazis so what do i do? its a wave file right now how can i put it back in mp3 form without making pretend audiophiles very upset and holier than thou?

Cheers man, and who gives a crap about fake audiophiles, just upload a 320 mp3 or flac.

Guest Enter a new display name

Cheers man, and who gives a crap about fake audiophiles, just upload a 320 mp3 or flac.

Yeah, I vote for a 320kbps mp3 encoding.

ok they have started uploading at http://www.recordlabelrecords.org/robhall/

i have divided them up into individual files/tracks. if am uploading the wave of it because i dont know how to make flacs easily, so in like 3 hours the full wave will be there too (but it sounds the same to me honestly)

there are other goodies in that directory as well if you guys care to download :)

if you guys have any suggestions for further polishing this live set let me know. i only spent about an hour or two making this sound better

downloading now. Initial thoughts are that your version sounds much smoother and I already noticed something new on it.

Also stealing your new album. Will report on that too. Is that a cow mooing in the first track?

Seriously though I really will buy it someday when I get around to it lol

Also stealing your new album. Will report on that too. Is that a cow mooing in the first track?

cool, feel free to do so ;). It isnt a cow but sounds like one, it was actually recorded at a museum here in san francisco called the exploritorium. when they close they announce it via a very very loud acoustic siren thats generated using a humongous squeezebox like children's toy. Thats where that sound comes from.

The first track is great! I hope you will churn out similar quality for the Metropolis soundtrack.

Is that you on the guitar on Celtic-K-Hole?

The first track is great! I hope you will churn out similar quality for the Metropolis soundtrack.

Is that you on the guitar on Celtic-K-Hole?

thanks!, no it isnt i cant claim i made any of the material on that song because its a completely stolen mashup of several different songs. the rest of the album is original though, barely any sampling, and when i mean sampling i mean that literally most of the album is synthesis except for track 1, 2, and 4 (the sampling/field recording/studio recordings in them is original work not stolen)

... if you do FLAC, decode it as an MP3 and re-post it since I suck at FLAC on MACs.

Just use xAct:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/xact

Job done. Otherwise Toast version 7 and above will burn FLACs directly to audio CDs, and you can even use it to convert from FLAC to MP3, AAC, ALAC, whatever you like. If you load the FLACs into its audio CD window you can select them and do an Export which allows you to choose the format.

Guest beavis14996
ok they have started uploading at http://www.recordlabelrecords.org/robhall/

i have divided them up into individual files/tracks. if am uploading the wave of it because i dont know how to make flacs easily, so in like 3 hours the full wave will be there too (but it sounds the same to me honestly)

great work GB3, still waiting for wavs!

there are other goodies in that directory as well if you guys care to download :)

i'm listening to the first track of gaseous opal orbs right now and i really love it. should be on WARP (easily)

downloading the repolished version as well, but why on earth did you split the mp3s?

mesa needs a single file .wav/.flac/.mp3 I don't care but just make it into a single file.. and if you do prefer mp3 make it a v0 lame vbr mp3 (--alt preset extreme) it's the best mp3 format to take; making a 320kbps cbr is overkill, vbr is the way to go!

my rule of thumb is if your source was lossless ie, wav/ flac, flac it up. however if your source is lossy ie mp3, use mp3, same bitrate as the original or VBR. its annoying when you download a flac expecting it to be perfect quality only to find that its been chewed up and spit out along the way.

my rule of thumb is if your source was lossless ie, wav/ flac, flac it up. however if your source is lossy ie mp3, use mp3, same bitrate as the original or VBR. its annoying when you download a flac expecting it to be perfect quality only to find that its been chewed up and spit out along the way.

well im uploading a wav right now (originally the mp3 and converted to wave using nuendo) i dont have experience nor the software to convert it to flac

well im uploading a wav right now (originally the mp3 and converted to wave using nuendo) i dont have experience nor the software to convert it to flac

flac is really easy to use, drag and drop the file into the flac front end and hit 'encode' thats about all there is to it. either way, i wish the original WAVs were made available by OP so your effort wasnt in vain.

hook us up with the lossless maus, your efforts are greatly appreciated.

your efforts are greatly appreciated.

yes thank you very much for this, i held off listening to it until i saw the show and im so glad i waited this was like a christmas present waiting at home for me.

original mp3 length > 55:07

your remastered wave file > 46:54

whilst encoding your wave to .flac:

autechre live recording remastrered.wav: 83% complete, ratio=0,594autechre live
recording remastrered.wav: WARNING: unexpected EOF; expected 149587200 samples,
got 124121088 samples
autechre live recording remastrered.wav: 83% complete, ratio=0,594

Your wave file seems to be incomplete. Should be bigger than 484.864KB I suppose because you're missing 10 minutes. Also I think the sound quality, when compared to the original mp3, is hardly better. It does sound a bit less muddier but also the total volume output is heavily reduced which makes the result lose a lot of impact, especially on the subbass. This is definitely noticeable when I crank up the volume here on my speakers which are connected to a subwoofer.

I've checked the wave file and there seems to be enough headroom, you should amplify your remastered file so that it sounds louder/heavier again, because now it's missing the punch. And that's a pity.

Archived