IGNORED

Autechre Live in LA. The MP3.

Guest maus

Guest moo duck

inspider's info

title: IT DOESNT SOUND LIKE AUTECHER, BUT THERES TWO GUYS ON THE FUCKING STAGE

artist: WELL, IT DOESNT SOUND LIKE autecher at all, at least. .

format: EP, label: Warp (WAP 248 X), r.date: 20-08-2008

jesus saves this release

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
original mp3 length > 55:07

your remastered wave file > 46:54

whilst encoding your wave to .flac:

autechre live recording remastrered.wav: 83% complete, ratio=0,594autechre live
recording remastrered.wav: WARNING: unexpected EOF; expected 149587200 samples,
got 124121088 samples
autechre live recording remastrered.wav: 83% complete, ratio=0,594

Your wave file seems to be incomplete. Should be bigger than 484.864KB I suppose because you're missing 10 minutes. Also I think the sound quality, when compared to the original mp3, is hardly better. It does sound a bit less muddier but also the total volume output is heavily reduced which makes the result lose a lot of impact, especially on the subbass. This is definitely noticeable when I crank up the volume here on my speakers which are connected to a subwoofer.

I've checked the wave file and there seems to be enough headroom, you should amplify your remastered file so that it sounds louder/heavier again, because now it's missing the punch. And that's a pity.

Ill have to check it to see if it finished uploading. About the overall loudness of the file. You will have to understand my reasoning for what i did. First i wanted to bring back some of the dynamic range, the file was originally recorded with a limiter and was squashed. I personally do not care if the redux file is not overall as loud because imo it is much more dynamic, you can tell by looking at each waveform s.ide by side. The user can simply turn up his or her volume to compensate for the decrease. Also the sub bass from around 40-70hz on my version is actually slightly boosted from the original by about 2-3db. Im not sure why on your sound system you are hearing less bass, i hear more bass than the original file. It could be that on your speakers they emphasize the high end more than mine and its giving you the impression that at 'full volume' the bass isnt as loud, which makes more sense (because ive boosted the highs quite a lot too). The only way i can bring more 'punch' into it is by compressing it/limiting it again and i guess i just dont prefer that squashed sound at all.

in other words, please enjoy it for what its worth until we get a proper soundboard :laughing:

true, but please finish the uploading then because now we miss 10 minutes of your überremastered version!

(I'll apply the extra decibels myself aftwards for maximum pleasure) :)

What is all about dBs and volumens? Don't you people have the Volume faders on your players? It's good that 'master' is quieter because the orig is too loud but it's a bad remaster tho...Too harsh, no life in it, no transient attack added, not panned in the middle, too compressed...etc.

Sorry about my english... :embrassed:

Is my avatar too loud? I can change it easily...

What is all about dBs and volumens? Don't you people have the Volume faders on your players? It's good that 'master' is quieter because the orig is too loud but it's a bad remaster tho...Too harsh, no life in it, no transient attack added, not panned in the middle, too compressed...etc.

Sorry about my english... :embrassed:

Is my avatar too loud? I can change it easily...

no your avatar fits in perfectly here, i prefer my remaster over the original (or else i would have given up) and so do a few other folks. but different strokes for different folks my N1gga!

(my speakers, tannoy reveals are relatively flat compared to other home stereo setups so i could see it sounding too harsh on shitty speakers :innocent: )

i prefer my remaster over the original

(my speakers, tannoy reveals are relatively flat compared to other home stereo setups so i could see it sounding too harsh on shitty speakers :innocent: )

I prefer your remaster to. :sorcerer:

It's not that about what speakers do you have it's more about how good do you know them. If you know that your speakers are flat than act like that.

Guest punk data

THX for the upload

Track around 12:18 - 15:15 min is GREAT

I remember it from Zagreb and all people went crazy

They are TRUE ARTIST ONE OF A KIND

If you know that your speakers are flat than act like that.

i will make sure i do next time :whistling:

What about resuming your upload? The wave file is still stuck at 476MB which doesn't include the last 10 minutes of the show... Will you finish the upload?

in other words, please enjoy it for what its worth until we get a proper soundboard :laughing:

true, but please finish the uploading then because now we miss 10 minutes of your überremastered version!

(I'll apply the extra decibels myself aftwards for maximum pleasure) :)

its going pretty fast and the file size is supposed to be 529 megs

should be done in around 20 mins

Thanks for finishing the upload.

Based on your upload I've experimented a bit and applied some DirectX mastering tools myself; I've extracted 6 minutes of the set to show the difference between your remastering and mine, both files are encoded with lame mp3 v0 settings:

1. excerpt remastering by fluorescent grey
  2. excerpt remastering by fredd-e
I've boosted the lows, made the highs a little bit less sharp. Used compression to gave the mix a proper boost, without clipping the mix. The dynamics are still present like in your mix but with added punch and power. Also the general volume is more alike to the sound level of a regular cd; yours was really low in volume when compared to other music.

Tell me what you think. If it's worth it I could apply these preliminary settings to the full mix and make the flac/mp3 available here.

Thanks for finishing the upload.

Based on your upload I've experimented a bit and applied some DirectX mastering tools myself; I've extracted 6 minutes of the set to show the difference between your remastering and mine, both files are encoded with lame mp3 v0 settings:

1. excerpt remastering by fluorescent grey
  2. excerpt remastering by fredd-e
I've boosted the lows, made the highs a little bit less sharp. Used compression to gave the mix a proper boost, without clipping the mix. The dynamics are still present like in your mix but with added punch and power. Also the general volume is more alike to the sound level of a regular cd; yours was really low in volume when compared to other music.

Tell me what you think. If it's worth it I could apply these preliminary settings to the full mix and make the flac/mp3 available here.

i like my mix for the high end better. i do think overall the high end details and transients above 14khz are pretty important but yours for the punch and bass better. the bass in yours is pretty ridiculous i like it.

i like my mix for the high end better. i do think overall the high end details and transients above 14khz are pretty important but yours for the punch and bass better. the bass in yours is pretty ridiculous i like it.

pretty ridiculous bass like at the show then! :)

I've uploaded the full mix of my remaster in v0 mp3 quality.

It could be that I'll reconsider the tweaking of the high end tomorrow after sleep/work and reupload a second version. Also I haven't really listened my remastering on high volume yet because it's 2:11 am right now and I can't really make loud noise right now... :-)

big thanks to GB3 for the remaster, sounds lots better to me. also, cheers for making so much other stuff available on that directory! i liked your 1st Fluorescent Grey album and have been meaning to check out the new one..... thanks again. :ok:

Thanks maus and GB3. I couldn't make it to the LA show, and this recording is helping feel a lot less emo about it. Really good quality.

I used MAX to convert GB3's .wav to apple lossless (why the fuck not). Sounds great running through an apogee duet into some nice Sennheiser Hd-595s. I'm all about overkill.

Thanks maus and GB3. I couldn't make it to the LA show, and this recording is helping feel a lot less emo about it. Really good quality.

I used MAX to convert GB3's .wav to apple lossless (why the fuck not). Sounds great running through an apogee duet into some nice Sennheiser Hd-595s. I'm all about overkill.

Have you tried running my remastered file through your 1337 setup? Mesa needs some feedback from teh audiophiles.

Have you tried running my remastered file through your 1337 setup? Mesa needs some feedback from teh audiophiles.

Downloading yours now--I'll let you know what I thinks.

Ok, I did a little quick a-b testing. Yours sounds good, too. No question. Without having been to the show it's a little hard to make any judgment calls, and I'm honestly not much of a real audiophile, anyway.

My comments are right in line with GB3s. Yours is missing a bit too much on the high transients and I can pick up a bit more detail in his version. The bass in yours can be a little overwhelming, but it's entirely possible (and probably likely) that's the way anyone at the show would have experienced it. So hard to say. Yours has some great kick to it, but it comes across as a slightly muddy on my set up, which is pretty neutral. I can hear a bit more of the room dynamics also in GB3's, but without the sort of massive punch you'd get if you were there in person. Yours comes a little closer to that visceral goodness.

You did a good job compressing without clipping. That's probably a good level to have if you're gonna throw this on in your car or listen at lower volumes. I do like all the headroom in GB3's remastering--scales nicely with good dynamics, and if I was gonna play one of these really loud I'd pick GB3's. But yours is definitely closer to what you'd get in a modern CD (again without clipping), so if you're gonna need consistency in that respect, yours wins.

All this stuff's really just a matter of preference, and with my setup in particular GB3s sounds just a bit "better". Yours is fucking fun to listen to, maybe a bit closer in that respect to the actual show, and that probably counts more for lots of people. Honestly it's not a night and day difference (except for general loudness), so good job to both of you (and maus too).

Ok, I did a little quick a-b testing. Yours sounds good, too. No question. Without having been to the show it's a little hard to make any judgment calls, and I'm honestly not much of a real audiophile, anyway.

My comments are right in line with GB3s. Yours is missing a bit too much on the high transients and I can pick up a bit more detail in his version. The bass in yours can be a little overwhelming, but it's entirely possible (and probably likely) that's the way anyone at the show would have experienced it. So hard to say. Yours has some great kick to it, but it comes across as a slightly muddy on my set up, which is pretty neutral. I can hear a bit more of the room dynamics also in GB3's, but without the sort of massive punch you'd get if you were there in person. Yours comes a little closer to that visceral goodness.

You did a good job compressing without clipping. That's probably a good level to have if you're gonna throw this on in your car or listen at lower volumes. I do like all the headroom in GB3's remastering--scales nicely with good dynamics, and if I was gonna play one of these really loud I'd pick GB3's. But yours is definitely closer to what you'd get in a modern CD (again without clipping), so if you're gonna need consistency in that respect, yours wins.

All this stuff's really just a matter of preference, and with my setup in particular GB3s sounds just a bit "better". Yours is fucking fun to listen to, maybe a bit closer in that respect to the actual show, and that probably counts more for lots of people. Honestly it's not a night and day difference (except for general loudness), so good job to both of you (and maus too).

Thanks for your extensive feedback. I will incorporate this information in my second version of the mastering. Also I need to check my mix on loud volume as I haven't been able to do so yet.

I will post a second version afterwards for you to judge.

I really want to achieve the best possible sound with regards to the feeling at the live set itself; powerful, bass heavy and a direct in your face punch effect but without losing too much of the juicy details in the high end. In my current version I explicitally toned down the high end a couple of dB at around and above 10khz to make it sound less harsh, but apparently it lost some of the magic touch now; it's easy to undo this obviously by changing the parameters in my mastering plugin.

Also I might have added a little bit too much dB on the subbass, which might have made it sound a bit muddier.. I will tone that down a little bit as well. Also I will lower the general output a little bit to give it a tiny bit more headroom.

It should become a real proper loud remastering with lots of details and without losing the in-your-face effect at all.

Stay tuned! :)

I just finished version 2 of my remastering of this amazing live show. I'm satisfied with the end result now. Thanks to the extensive feedback of baph and fluorescent grey I enhanced my first version by starting over based on the fluorescent grey's remastering. It now has subtle but positive differences over my first version:

1. high end is enhanced now instead of toned down; should be crispy and sharp now
  2. a bit more headroom to keep the dynamics even more intact
  3. a little bit less subbass which results into a less muddier mix

You can download the new and final version, yet again in lame mp3 v0 quality, over here.

Enjoy! And special thanks go out to maus for providing us the source material in the first place!

Archived