IGNORED

cap.iv

Fredd-E

• 2 years later...

love the piano notes / melody around 4'30'' and on, or whatever it is.

also, the song is best when played at 33 and the mids turned all the way down..... or something like that. i forget, but one way is fukin ace

How have I never listened to this EP at 33? All the micro detail in it, should be perfect.

I'm going to go and rectify this right now.

QUOTE (James Fucking Cagney @ Apr 17 2008, 03:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
DIAL

Dial... the melody satisfies me sexually.

I have always found a relationship (perhaps desired) between the growing scale of the Dial's motif and the Ligeti's Devil's Staircase. But no one has ever given me the pleasure to say "good, you've hit the center"  :catrage:

• Farnsworth 1

DIAL

Dial... the melody satisfies me sexually.

I have always found a relationship (perhaps desired) between the growing scale of the Dial's motif and the Ligeti's Devil's Staircase. But no one has ever given me the pleasure to say "good, you've hit the center" :catrage:

I remember them saying in the AAA that it was a Shepard tone experiment.

DIAL

Dial... the melody satisfies me sexually.

I have always found a relationship (perhaps desired) between the growing scale of the Dial's motif and the Ligeti's

. But no one has ever given me the pleasure to say "good, you've hit the center" :catrage:

I remember them saying in the AAA that it was a Shepard tone experiment.

Indeed, the Ligeti Devil's Staircase is - in turn - a Shepard-scale experiment. Ligeti, Rob ... they all must have happened, by chance, on this tutorial...

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...
On 7/3/2018 at 12:13 PM, EXTRASUPER81 said:

How have I never listened to this EP at 33? All the micro detail in it, should be perfect.

I'm going to go and rectify this right now.

I went and did this in Audacity and realized then realized there's a pretty heavy swing in the beat. It's not so clear with the normal speed.

Listen to the clip attached

capiv33.mp3

The whole EP maybe has swing? Dael has swing pretty definitely, right?

But does Gantz Graf also? It's a bit hard to tell from all the stutter effects that have even timing and pretty chaotic drum patterns but I think there's a swing when you start to slow it down enough.

Like here

gantzgrafslow.mp3

1 hour ago, zkom said:

But does Gantz Graf also? It's a bit hard to tell from all the stutter effects that have even timing and pretty chaotic drum patterns but I think there's a swing when you start to slow it down enough.

Like here

Your browser does not support the HTML5 audio tag.

gantzgrafslow.mp3 221.11 kB · 25 downloads

Dial not Dael:facepalm:

12 hours ago, zkom said:

I went and did this in Audacity and realized then realized there's a pretty heavy swing in the beat. It's not so clear with the normal speed.

Listen to the clip attached

capiv33.mp3 330.93 kB · 104 downloads

6 hours ago, zkom said:

Like here

gantzgrafslow.mp3 221.11 kB · 58 downloads

Doesn't sound like swing to me. Sounds more like polyrhythms that sometimes syncopate in a swing like manner.

3 hours ago, dingformung said:

Doesn't sound like swing to me. Sounds more like polyrhythms that sometimes syncopate in a swing like manner.

I think that it's swing that sounds like polyrhythms because of the stutter effect that creates an illusion of evenly timed rhythm layered in but I don't know for sure. That's how I would go on about creating it, lol.

If I remember correctly there were other examples of Autechre sounding polyrhythmic or with odd time signatures because the swing was turned all up to 11? Cfern maybe?

With polyrhythm I don't mean they use odd time signatures, I'm referring to irregular divisions. To me it sounds more like varying between and layering abnormal divisions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuplet

But of course that's only my take, you could be right.

By the way, 100% swing literally results in a perfect polyrhythm of duplets and triplets. At 100% swing every second 1/16 is replaced by a 1/24: You're combining normal notes with triplets. By adjusting the percentage of the swing you slide every second note between the triplet and the quadruplet position.

• Like 1
  • Farnsworth 1

21 minutes ago, dingformung said:

With polyrhythm I don't mean they use odd time signatures, I'm referring to irregular divisions. To me it sounds more like varying between and layering abnormal divisions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuplet

But of course that's only my take, you could be right.

By the way, 100% swing literally results in a perfect polyrhythm of duplets and triplets. At 100% swing every second 1/16 is replaced by a 1/24: You're combining normal notes with triplets. By adjusting the percentage of the swing you slide every second note between the triplet and the quadruplet position.

Because I'm not so well versed in music theory, this might be the case. I'm just trying to figure out how I would do it in a tracker or drum machine to get the same effect. There are of course multiple ways to do swings, polyrhythms and polymetres even in them. Use a global groove setting, delay notes, layer different time signatures, fuck around with the BPM or ticks/lines per beat, etc.

I suck at music theory, too, and I find it hard to talk about music because I lack the vocabulary, but I read a bit here and there for the same reasons as you.

From what I know, there are roughly two kinds of polyrhythms (that can be combined):

One layers different time signatures but the divisions match, they just repeat at different times (the bars have different lengths), e.g. you could combine a 4/4 rhythm with a 7/4 rhythm and their first notes will only meet again after 4*7 bars. If my mathematics are right, I suck at math, lol

The other one uses different divisions within the same time signature, so it repeats at the same point in time (bars have same length) but each track divides these set time periods differently with a combination of odd and even numbers, e.g. 4 on 5. It immediately sounds super polyrhythmic and "African".

In Cubase you can mess around with the quantisation settings and add your own "N-toles", which is useful when you sequence per hand in piano roll. Reaktor Blocks has a module called Clock Divider, that lets you use abnormal divisions; modulating the division numbers is fun. I've never worked with tracker software, probably has a totally different work flow.

If I’m not mistaken (again, I suck at the simplest of math) 90bpm is the triplet version of 120bpm, or at least you can think about it this way (triplet quarters at 90bpm are indistinguishable from duplet quarters at 120bpm, quadruplets at 150bpm equal quintuplets at 120bpm, etc.). So, as you said, messing with the BPM and the BPM/time division correlations can be a way to trick drum machines that don’t have this stuff integrated.

Edit: Sorry, totally off topic and not meant as a lecture. Was more structuring my own thoughts

Edited by dingformung

5 hours ago, dingformung said:

I suck at music theory, too, and I find it hard to talk about music because I lack the vocabulary, but I read a bit here and there for the same reasons as you.

Polyrhythms are simply parallel repeating patterns of different lengths, they don't have to map to bar lengths/boundaries or anything else. As long as theres two (or more) patterns with different lengths, e.g. you have straight up 4/4 bass drum (over 16 beats on 1, 5, 9, 13) and a TB-303 pattern repeating every 3 or 5 beats - that's it, you've got a polyrhythmic track. When you combine (poly)rhythms that make the track sound off-beat, you've got syncopation. Add weird time signatures like 7/8, 11/16, 15/16 or 31/32 to the mix and you can frustrate people who like to count beats to no end.

Edited by dcom
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, dingformung said:

I've never worked with tracker software, probably has a totally different work flow.

Trackers generally have two global speed settings. Lines/Ticks per beat and BPM. LPB basically tells how many lines in pattern correspond to each beat in BPM. It's more of a visual and calculation aid mostly since the patterns in trackers can be any length of lines regardless of LPB. These values can be usually changed with automation commands. And old trick to create a swing in a tracker track is to switch between two speeds (LPB or BPM) on every line.

There's also an option to delay a note or trigger with a precision of 1/256 of a line. With 4 LPB this is then equivalent of a 1/1024 of beat. By delaying a note by approximately a 1/3 or a 2/3 of a line you can do an approximation of a 3/4 pattern in parallel with a 4/4 pattern while the beat length in time stays the same. (The fun part comes when calculating the delay times in hexadecimals).

This is all pretty old school and 90s though. Renoise has a global groove setting where you set percentages of times used for each line. And the later versions of Renoise support phrases for instruments. The phrases can have their own LPB setting and shuffle in addition with a variable phrase length and optional looping, and the aforementioned delay commands. So you can pretty much do any kind of crazy polyrythmic, polymetric and off grid stuff you can think of.

Sorry for derailing the thread, but I was just bored and had the time :cisfor:

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...