IGNORED

Article in Future Music

ten fingers ten toes

Read it while I was having coffee at a bookstore, didn't elect to buy it because it's just a rehash of older articles really. News: Luke still uses Reason, sampled bits of SH-101 and TB-303 and SH-1000 for most synth stuff. He has two broken Italian JEN synths (they sound a lot like Minimoog's anyway). Says most of the material he has for synth stuff are off of a few hour long tape sessions he did with the Roland gear and he just cuts up bits and sequences them in Reason. Says he uses Reason because he tried Cubase but found he just spent all day twiddling with plugins not being able to decide what sounded best so he went "ok, thats it, no plugins for me". Came off very endearing. I swear though, if I were him I would want to punch every interviewer who started in on the RDJ questions. It must suck feeling like your entire worth as an artist is summed up in your friendship with RDJ.

Yah, says he has loads of stuff, like sent hours of stuff to Mike P and RDJ, says Warp and Ninja Tune put him off a bit. Ninja Tune really scared him when he sent them an album of stuff and they went "we dont know if X track sounds "ninja" enough" he goes "whatever the fuck THAT means". Says Planet Mu is doing the best of all the labels because Mike doesn't employ anyone so they can actually make money. Says Warp & Ninja Tunes are struggling (P2P, too many employees), and Rephlex does as well as however many DJ gigs RDJ decides to play that month.

Says Warp & Ninja have delayed new releases for another year or two but to watch on P-M and Rephlex, says he's been doing more disco stuff but its hard to quantify, because now that he's not using his Atari anymore, he can work on like 20 tracks at once, all different styles. He'll do little bits to each a little bit every day then come up with like 20 finished tracks after a month.

Interesting... there's got to be a Wagon Christ release in the pipeline, his last one was 4 years ago. Although, I think the weakest Wagon Christ shit is the Ninja stuff, but it also coincides with his switch to Reason.

Interesting... there's got to be a Wagon Christ release in the pipeline, his last one was 4 years ago. Although, I think the weakest Wagon Christ shit is the Ninja stuff, but it also coincides with his switch to Reason.

i thought all wagon christ was ninja tune....

Guest AOOproductions
I swear though, if I were him I would want to punch every interviewer who started in on the RDJ questions. It must suck feeling like your entire worth as an artist is summed up in your friendship with RDJ.

Ya I agree. As much as I think RDJ and other label mates like Tom J obviously deserve more attention, if only due to the fact they have had music videos and more initial commercial success. Not to mention they have been more "ground breaking", whatever that means. But Vibert is a top top top notch artist as well, almost doubling any artists output in his genre and producing quality tracks all the fucking time. He's not someone to take lightly. Overall I enjoy his music just as much as any artist on this board. Did he do SAW or Hard Normal Daddy? No... but whatever, I'd listen to Tally Ho on a hot summer day over SAW any time. his music is just pure fun and innovative.

Yah, says he has loads of stuff, like sent hours of stuff to Mike P and RDJ, says Warp and Ninja Tune put him off a bit. Ninja Tune really scared him when he sent them an album of stuff and they went "we dont know if X track sounds "ninja" enough" he goes "whatever the fuck THAT means"

I'm surprised Ninja Tune has their head up their as that much, I love Coldcut and Vadim and some other staple guys, but for fuck sakes they put out a ton of shit. And for them to think they have a signiture "Ninja" sound, thats a LOL.

i thought all wagon christ was ninja tune....

All Pre Tally Ho! was Rising High

Tally Ho! and singles from it were Astralwerks and Virgin

And everything after that was Ninja

Guest chunky

AOO mate you never heard of PLUG?

think i remember mike p going on about PLUG being a big influence on afx and pushr

who is plug? luke vibert :laughing:

Guest Enter a new display name
Says Planet Mu is doing the best of all the labels because Mike doesn't employ anyone so they can actually make money.

That sentence is so fucking wrong.

Guest chunky
btw he said he can't stand being asked "whats it link being the inventor of Drill 'n Bass" he said "excuse me? what the fuck is Drill' n Bass?"

lol - mind if i put taht in my sig?

Guest AOOproductions
AOO mate you never heard of PLUG?

think i remember mike p going on about PLUG being a big influence on afx and pushr

who is plug? luke vibert :laughing:

Not to mention:

Analord? *ahem* Luke *cough*

Tuss? *ahem* Luke *cough*

I realize this guys... omfg. I'm just saying that RDJ and Tom J have had more commercial success with this type of music, does that make them better, NO. Sure we can all know deep down inside that Plug was one of the true fonders of Drill n Bass, before RDJ, Mike P, and Tom J... But does it really matter when it comes to interviews? He has done so much and contibuted alot to many artists who are more well known than him, andt then he gets questions asked to him like "whats it like to know the great RDJ". It's Ironic and actually kinda wrong.

So im with you guys all the way, I just listened to a subtle blend on my car ride home actually, one of my fav Plug tracks. Then I stumbled back into this thread and am questioned whether I have ever heard of Plug. I'm gonna go cry in a corner and listen to Plug.

Says Planet Mu is doing the best of all the labels because Mike doesn't employ anyone so they can actually make money.

Seems to make sense. :undecided:

They released from ziq100 to ziq200 within like 2 years and nobody cares about their stuff.

They released from ziq100 to ziq200 within like 2 years and nobody cares about their stuff.

They sell a lot of Snares & Dubstep and the difference between Warp & Ninja Tune having to pay 50 employees and P-M having to pay just Mike P (now that his ife left him!) is quite a substantial savings.

Guest AOOproductions

They sell a lot of Snares & Dubstep and the difference between Warp & Ninja Tune having to pay 50 employees and P-M having to pay just Mike P (now that his ife left him!) is quite a substantial savings.

Basically I don't know if he is the most successful, in thast he makes the most money. But he makes the most profit because hes the only one there.

Basically I don't know if he is the most successful, in thast he makes the most money. But he makes the most profit because hes the only one there.

I am sure Mike P has employees outside the musicians signed to the label.

Not according to Luke! Not sure if he's totally reliable but from the article it sounds like the two hang out and talk with one another a lot. He also said Mike basically has no ltime for writing music anymore because he's so busy with the label and focused on it. I'm pretty sure its ruining his music career and has ruined his marriage, and he SHOULD hire someone, but hasn't.

Guest AOOproductions

Not according to Luke! Not sure if he's totally reliable but from the article it sounds like the two hang out and talk with one another a lot. He also said Mike basically has no ltime for writing music anymore because he's so busy with the label and focused on it. I'm pretty sure its ruining his music career and has ruined his marriage, and he SHOULD hire someone, but hasn't.

W/E, first off, his marriage is his own damn business(huge LOL) and I am sure there was more to his divorce than his time spent on fucking music... AND second, He has made a shit ton of music and most of it is classic, I can grantee he’s not done making music. Plus I don't see RDJ, BOC, Squarepusher, and Autechre in any hurry to release music these days either. Mike P has his life in control and he doesn't need anyone from the peanut gallery to give him advice on how to live it.

^ LOL I just realized were in a Luke Vibert Sub-forum.

Archived