IGNORED

PIC of Aphex Twin performing Now from COACHELLA!

Guest aphexvancouver

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest griever

please mr james, come on tour in germany :smile:!!! and if you do so, i hope it's after i passed my final exams at school, otherwise i would be very sad if i'm not able to join the show :sad:...

someone got a new vid up today. this is from the beginning of the set.

I think it's Public Enemy's "by The Time I Get To Arizona" (I could be whong about that) into RUN DMC's "Beats to the Rhyme".

SO FUCKING DOPE

I was about 6 "rows" back for the madness. Glad I could finally pay my respect!!! And yeah I think I heard a few unreleased Aphex tunes in there. In a couple of years when he gets around to releasing them we'll be in for a treat for sure.

SO FUCKING DOPE

I was about 6 "rows" back for the madness. Glad I could finally pay my respect!!! And yeah I think I heard a few unreleased Aphex tunes in there. In a couple of years when he gets around to releasing them we'll be in for a treat for sure.

When was the last time he played a track at a concert before releasing it?

Guest bunty
SO FUCKING DOPE

When was the last time he played a track at a concert before releasing it?

He played some Tuss tracks in 2005 in Austria. Although that doesn't count of course, as the Tuss is actually the pseudonym for a secret Scooter/Pendulum collaboration.

his headphones..!!!

what a fu**!!!!

superSony.. a big one!

wich kind? do you know?

*i want it

Sony CD-1700, I checked them out myself. They were hanging off his backpack, and when I was having him sign my SAW 85-92, I asked him, Richard wasn't sure what model, so I grabbed them up and looked. :shade: They look like the ones he's been using for about 10 years now...

ok this is one of the ones that was suspect of possibly being an unreleased tune. this is the one right before, and going into the Current Value track. the melody toward the end did it for me.

name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>">
name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

Guest KleptoSiloBismo

I basically went to Coachella to see Aphex Twin perform. I did get there in time to see Adam Freeland, Sarah Collins, and Diplo, and they were okay. Their music was very "fan-friendly" house/trance/you-name-it stuff that you would associate with "strictly DJs" (like Digweed, Tiesto, etc.) and other outfits. (They did the obligatory head bopping, dancing around, and yelling stupid stuff, like, "Yo Coachella, are you out there?" over-and-over again.) So you can imagine what it must be like to have Aphex Twin there in the midst of all this? They rolled in the equipment table which was higher up than the other tables that came before, and brought the two side speakers closer together...and then Mr. Richard D. James walks in all cool and calm (like Coachella was just another gig, ha ha!). There were murmurs in the audience because I think most of us thought that he wouldn't show or that this was too good to be true. It was like seeing a living legend take his place. Being there in suspense for what kind of sounds he was going to bring was half the fun. I did not think much of what he played for the first 20 minutes. (It almost sounded like Freeland, Collins, and Diplo hadn't left.) But my theory is that Aphex Twin was both testing out the local sound system and warming up the crowd for the insanity to come. His music was much, much, MUCH more detail oriented than anyone else before it. I think "detail oriented" is the best way to put it. He did not have the USUAL amen breaks, and rhythms and sounds within the rhythms were complex. There is no way that his show was just thrown together on a whim. This was planned very, very well IMHO. Some people were going nuts near the end of his set, some just stood there awe-struck, and some just stood there looking confused as if they were planning on getting their dance on with another schmoe disc jockey. Nope! (Sorry.) The funny thing was that those of us who were there FOR Aphex Twin KNEW this was going to happen. The four guys (or girls) dressed in animal costumes who came out to party with the main man were unnecessary, I felt. Aphex Twin held his own. Somewhere in the middle of his set he cracked a smile, and his face was lit up on the jumbo trons--the classic RDJ grin! And a few times he put his thumbs in the air and looked like he was enjoying what he was doing, which is great to see. But most of the time he was focused, focused, focused...and I think that is what you have to expect from a guy like him--someone who many (like myself) regard as a genius and an electronic music pioneer. I watched the YouTube video of him swatting the balloon away. (Hilarious.) During Diplo's show, when they had the HUGE balloons out (bouncy balls?), I wondered if they would remain during Aphex's set and what would happen if they hit his laptop or something...but they were pretty much gone by the time his set began. After the show, one guy standing near me was like, "I bet you were worried during the first 20 minutes, weren't you?" Eh...a little. But I would have listened to him play "Mary Had a Little Lamb" over and over again--I have too much respect for the guy to care what he has in his bag of tricks.

In the end, it was an EXPERIENCE. (I have been a huge fan since 2001, and it was with his music that I got hooked on Autechre, Boards of Canada, and other electronic music acts as well.) I never thought I'd see Aphex Twin play live in my lifetime, or in my neck of the woods for that matter. I once considered flying to the UK to see him, but I have neglected to for the fear he might not show up. Now that I have seen him and Autechre I can rest in peace, ha ha! I wanted to tell a little runty kid standing near me (who must have been no older than 13 or 14) that he was watching history in the making.

Mr. James, THANK YOU for coming to the U.S. to share your music with us. It was an AWESOME experience. (And yes, I did see Prince and Portishead, and was amazed by them, too. But Aphex Twin--wow. And at the same festival? Unreal.)

Hope this shed some light on the experience (for those of you who could not make it).

KleptoSiloBismo

on the Coachella boards they were talking a lot about how many 12 year olds there were in the Sahara tent, and that is all true. we had like 3 of them in front of us to help us see better, but you know one of those 11 year olds like went home and wrote a track that night and is fixing to just pwn what we see as Richard's kid prodigy genius image.

on the Coachella boards they were talking a lot about how many 12 year olds there were in the Sahara tent, and that is all true. we had like 3 of them in front of us to help us see better, but you know one of those 11 year olds like went home and wrote a track that night and is fixing to just pwn what we see as Richard's kid prodigy genius image.

It's true, the young ones were everywhere. At least they were short, which made viewing and shooting a lot easier!

post-4151-1209452062_thumb.jpg

post-4151-1209452076_thumb.jpg

post-4151-1209452090_thumb.jpg

post-4151-1209452118_thumb.jpg

post-4151-1209452148_thumb.jpg

post-4151-1209452167_thumb.jpg

post-4151-1209452206_thumb.jpg

love the ending when all the music stops. he turns around and is like "i'm going home now"

Yea when I saw his reaction to the beach ball on stage and how he just hits it away like he couldn't give a shit I laughed so much.

great analysis of the beach ball slapback, but yeah he really took the time to acknowledge the crowd with the peace signs and the thumbs ups and all. even had his finger bobbing for a bit like a real Ibiza DJ. the most performing i've ever seen him do.

the animal (cow, dog, gorilla and panda) only came out for like the last 7 minutes or so. That was when the really mental stuff was going off. PhonicBoyOnDope was doing some video the whole time (he was a real workhorse) but we thought the audio turned out pretty bad. video is HD though.

Crushing, I hope somebody has good audio so we can edit them together? I'm ready to trainspot the shit out of that set.

The video turned out all right except for the audio of course, just reviewed it and you can hear what is being played, the sound just distorts anytime the bass hits hard (which unfortunately is a majority of the show) Rezpeni has the right idea! Anyone know how to get the high quality uploaded versions of video/audio from youtube? I remember reading a thread on this or another site on how to hack the youtube source files that they stream at 92 kbps off of. Hopefully in time we can collect some good audio, contacting some of the peope that are posting videos through youtube would be a good start, get to work people!

everyone knows true 1337 DJs play only unreleased tracks, wtf is this released 6 months ago current value for the last track crap

and now that GTAIV is out, i'm retiring it, not playing it anymore since everyone else will have it now.

peace

Who are you anyway?

everyone knows true 1337 DJs play only unreleased tracks, wtf is this released 6 months ago current value for the last track crap

and now that GTAIV is out, i'm retiring it, not playing it anymore since everyone else will have it now.

peace

oh yeah, a friend with a cleft asshole.

there isn't one whole audio recording around somewhere?

Soundboard guys probably have one that will never see the light of day. Saw all kinds of cameras and recording gear set up in that area earlier in the day.

I'm sure something decent will surface eventually, there were too many people there with devices out. It was like a sea of LCD screens.

Archived