IGNORED

Perlence Subrange 6-36

thehauntingsoul

you either like it or you dont, but the point still remains that an awful lot of AE fans who aren't accustomed to this style of minimalist music will try MUCH harder to force themselves to like it than they would a random artist. Not necessarily a bad effect, if Autechre can cause someone to appreciate minimalist ambient for the first time in their lives i think thats honestly a good thing.

Guest Zoinkers Hammyshammy

I'm a recent convert. At first this track bored the hell out of me, but the changes have become a lot more obvious and interesting with subsequent listens. I was hoping for the unedited source material for Perlence, and I guess I was initially disappointed when I got an hour of ambience instead.

those albums are just very difficult. Not bad. Just listen to it with the right mindstate and expect what it is.

I would say get really drunk/stoned and listen to it when your burning out so you are in the half asleep sort of state. Like I said with the proper state of mind that Ae/hafler stuff is awesome.

2:30 seconds into AE30, there is distortion with a smoke detector sounding beep going on in the distant background, makes it sound like that's what it would be like to be dying in a fire or something

Edited by thehauntingsoul

i like all of the quaristice stuff. even that metal case. for me personally the music makes ties to the drexciya&dopplereffekt themes, nuclear energy, some alien conspiracy,occult and even some comedy themes. about subrange 6-36, i have listened to the whole thing all the way through, it is what it is. isnt it? can words and thoughts really describe how you feel about it, even if you feel like youve done some thorough analysis and have reached a conclusion?

it doesn't fucking matter,actually.

• 4 weeks later...

I had an absolutely incredible semiconscious dream experience while falling asleep to this track. I'd slept to it before, with positive results - it occupies a space more dark and discreet than Oval's Do While, so it has replaced that track as my #1 bedtime recording.

Anyway. I was falling asleep, listening to this song. At some 10-20 minutes in, I start to drift off... but my attention to the song magnifies a thousandfold as I begin to lose consciousness, to the point of completely changing it... all of a sudden the melody grows with subtly introduced string-pad-shits waxing and waning. The atmosphere is the same, and the original sounds are still there. But this odd and beautiful emotional contour unfolds around everything. It builds and builds. Layers spawn. At its peak, I hear human voices, almost choral, chanting in gorgeous harmony with the music. Still in half-sleep, I was awestruck - this was some of the most beautiful music I had ever heard.

Suddenly the rational part of my waking mind kicked in - wait. You've heard this before. This stuff wasn't there. Could it be that it was, all along, and my state of mind brought it to be? As soon as these thoughts hit me, the song went back to normal, and I got up, sat at my computer, and went back and listened. And it wasn't there, of course. But somehow it was. Some part of it. Something in the song resonated deeply enough in my subconscious to draw out this breathtaking symphony of accompaniment. Something.

The song is special. I think it is quite good, too.

I had an absolutely incredible semiconscious dream experience while falling asleep to this track.

...try this:

Steve Roach - Darkest Before Dawn

Thomas Koner - Unerforschtes Gebiet

Kontakt Der Jünglinge - Frühruin

Edited by xox

yeah also check out both LP's by Phoenecia because they make incredibly atmospheric sometimes broodingly dark ambient style music.

The first album Brownout is like an underwater river type of sound, really floaty and drifty but still very quirky and everything sounds like its not quite alright, with some really darker more upbeat tracks as well.

Also the unreleased Echelon Mall is fantastic if you like Subrange 6-36, the whole thing is incredibly dark morphing ambient shit.

Both of these albums are fantastic to listen to while in that half awake/half dreaming state where everything can be visualized very vividly. I'm actually very disappointed that Phoenecia is not mentioned as much as they should be on these boards, particularly in recommendations.

In short, get these albums

edit: Additional evidence is as follows. See those headphones they're wearing? Guaranteed this album is the music that those men are listening to

phoenecia.jpg

Edited by thehauntingsoul