Join WATMM Now!

Register and Subscribe now for as little 3.00 USD for one year to gain Supporting Member access. We also have other subscription packages to choose from that grant you extra abilities and features.

By joining and subscribing, you are helping support the forums, as well enable us to add new features and enhancements (and maintain them).

Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Autechre

Unofficial video for plyPhon

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#26 QBLA

QBLA

Formerly Known As Asymmetrical Head

• EKT Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,380 posts
  • 289 topics
  • Joined 16-November 05

Posted 28 June 2008 - 10:36 AM

QUOTE (jubes @ Jun 27 2008, 04:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We need more ppl like lucio, you have an amazing mind !

i wonder what your next projects will be like

awesome! make one for me!

(i have no money though)!

#27 Guest_nsixqatsi_*

Guest_nsixqatsi_*
  • Guests
  • 12 topics
  • Joined --

Posted 29 June 2008 - 05:03 PM

it's a fucking masterpiece

#28 ishishiba

ishishiba

Recently Joined

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 182 posts
  • 54 topics
  • Joined 20-February 06

Posted 29 June 2008 - 06:23 PM

killer stuff! i love this.

#29 Springymajig

Springymajig

1000 Club

• EKT Plus
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,208 posts
  • 31 topics
  • Joined 21-November 00

Posted 30 June 2008 - 04:00 AM

I'm afraid I'm gonna have to be a sheep and just join in with what everyone else said:

1) AMAZING

2) Reminds me of Gantz Graf

3) Make more

It's hard not to compare to Gantz Graf, but I don't think you've ripped it off at all. I think the main similarity here is the fact that you managed to capture the sound of Autechre visually absolutely perfectly. Actually, the main thing that I think you improved on is by making it go on a sort of forward path. I've always pictured Autechre songs moving forward on some vaguely linear path. I'm really glad you've done that here, it just works so perfectly I think.

Also, I'm blown away by the amount of effort you put into a fan creation! I sincerely hope this helps you in your professional life too.

#30 Stickfigger

Stickfigger

Pushing a Rock Up a Hill

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  • 117 topics
  • Joined 15-April 08

Posted 30 June 2008 - 08:48 AM

i endorse this

#31 Guest_Enter a new display name_*

Guest_Enter a new display name_*
  • Guests
  • 7 topics
  • Joined --

Posted 30 June 2008 - 11:03 AM

We need a fol3 3D animation!

#32 Guest_lucio81_*

Guest_lucio81_*
  • Guests
  • 38 topics
  • Joined --

Posted 30 June 2008 - 11:25 AM

Thank you all for the kind words

I was wondering if opening a flickr with the scanned synchronizations diagrams I wrote on paper before the working of the video could be a point of interest, even if the risk is to realize some kind of 'making of' which I'm not very interested to go in.

However, stay tuned! more works to come. Thank you again

#33 triachus

triachus

⊂(◉‿◉)つ

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,800 posts
  • 208 topics
  • Joined 12-April 06

Posted 30 June 2008 - 12:53 PM

how long did it take to work on this video?

how long did it take to render?

#34 Guest_lucio81_*

Guest_lucio81_*
  • Guests
  • 28 topics
  • Joined --

Posted 30 June 2008 - 01:11 PM

I don't have an exact count, probably 400-450 work hours distributed from first half of april until second half of june. Render sessions realized mostly overnight, not very long at all (good equipment)

#35 sysyphus

sysyphus

Recently Jointed

• EKT Plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 721 posts
  • 101 topics
  • Joined 08-April 08

Posted 01 July 2008 - 12:39 AM

excellent work lucio81, as others have said, you have brought new light to this song. it would be excellent if warp were to see this.

#36 Mika Technika

Mika Technika

Recently Joined

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 204 posts
  • 117 topics
  • Joined 05-September 07

Posted 02 July 2008 - 08:58 AM

as i said before: very nice!

#37 thehauntingsoul

thehauntingsoul

Cardboard and duct tape

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,168 posts
  • 208 topics
  • Joined 16-April 08
  • XBOX360:TheHauntingSoul

Posted 02 July 2008 - 11:49 AM

absolutely amazing are you planning on doing some more ae vids? I can't wait to see more

#38 Guest_vodor_*

Guest_vodor_*
  • Guests
  • 35 topics
  • Joined --

Posted 02 July 2008 - 02:58 PM

brilliant brilliant brilliant

the video doubles the bandwidth between the track and your mind, so it really does facilitate comprehension and appreciation of the track.

#39 Dr Clitterhaus

Dr Clitterhaus

Clitterhaus = Ratings

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts
  • 117 topics
  • Joined 11-March 06

Posted 02 July 2008 - 03:20 PM

Brilliant video, Brilliant graphics, loved it - amazing, well skilled.
Only thing I thing I could think of complainin about is that it seemed to drift into auto pilot in the second half, it got slightly boring....but i feel the same about the Plython track .... so lucio won.

#40 Berk

Berk

2K, On My Way

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,190 posts
  • 132 topics
  • Joined 24-February 08
  • SoundCloud URL:http://soundcloud.com/sint

Posted 02 July 2008 - 03:43 PM

QUOTE (sysyphus @ Jul 1 2008, 08:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
excellent work lucio81, as others have said, you have brought new light to this song. it would be excellent if warp were to see this.

agreed

#41 triachus

triachus

⊂(◉‿◉)つ

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,800 posts
  • 57 topics
  • Joined 12-April 06

Posted 02 July 2008 - 03:57 PM

i bet they've seen it
the staff from warp probably lurk these forums on a regular basis

*shifty eyes*

#42 Guest_vodor_*

Guest_vodor_*
  • Guests
  • Joined --

Posted 02 July 2008 - 04:06 PM

ATTN: WARP

GIVE THIS GUY MONEY

#43 Guest_lucio81_*

Guest_lucio81_*
  • Guests
  • Joined --

Posted 03 July 2008 - 02:18 AM

QUOTE (Dr Clitterhaus @ Jul 2 2008, 01:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Brilliant video, Brilliant graphics, loved it - amazing, well skilled.
Only thing I thing I could think of complainin about is that it seemed to drift into auto pilot in the second half, it got slightly boring....but i feel the same about the Plython track .... so lucio won.

I think this is an interesting point :)

#44 thehauntingsoul

thehauntingsoul

Cardboard and duct tape

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,168 posts
  • Joined 16-April 08
  • XBOX360:TheHauntingSoul

Posted 06 August 2008 - 01:39 AM

Lucio if you were to render entire AE albums into video i would pay top dollar, i've always thought that the ae music would be perfect accompanyment for an epic animated film

Edited by thehauntingsoul, 06 August 2008 - 01:40 AM.

#45 sweepstakes

sweepstakes

phone calls from the dead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,043 posts
  • Joined 23-February 08
  • Interests:MIDI
    samplers
    delays

Posted 07 August 2008 - 04:53 PM

hmm... this... is...
technically superb. great syncing, obviously you put a lot of work into it.
but I have to be a naysayer and say that I think it would've been a lot better if you put more effort into the planning stages. I think your concept is weak. watching those little cylinders get arranged in a line somehow isn't that exciting to me. it looked more like a transcription of the music where Gantz Graf (the only other truly synaesthetic video I've ever seen, and for the same band, and what looks like a similar shader/tracer so yes it's inevitable that the comparison is drawn) was more of an interpretation. Gantz Graf makes me high because it feels like I'm watching a top secret military weapon in a testing facility. not a pixel is wasted, there isn't one extraneous polygon. I didn't get that impression with this video.
it was fun though, again, you did a really excellent job with the concept that you did have. and I actually liked the colors. it's possible that I only have mixed feelings about this because this is one of my favorite tracks from Quaristice and I was just floored the first time I heard it. I had much different imagery in my head.
in short, this video just isn't tense/scary enough to do the original justice. but I applaud you for trying.

#46 dr lopez

dr lopez

i did it for the general banterness of the act

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,189 posts
  • Joined 06-April 08
  • Interests:Riven
  • PSN:conlon_nancarrow

Posted 08 August 2008 - 10:13 PM

Fucking insane. Only crit would be the somewhat "rainbow" colors of the organic shapes. Autechre to me has always been a band with few colors and most of them gray.

Question: What software was used?

Again totally amazing.

#47 Guest_lucio81_*

Guest_lucio81_*
  • Guests
  • Joined --

Posted 12 August 2008 - 09:34 AM

QUOTE (sweepstakes @ Aug 7 2008, 02:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hmm... this... is...
technically superb. great syncing, obviously you put a lot of work into it.
but I have to be a naysayer and say that I think it would've been a lot better if you put more effort into the planning stages. I think your concept is weak. watching those little cylinders get arranged in a line somehow isn't that exciting to me. it looked more like a transcription of the music where Gantz Graf (the only other truly synaesthetic video I've ever seen, and for the same band, and what looks like a similar shader/tracer so yes it's inevitable that the comparison is drawn) was more of an interpretation. Gantz Graf makes me high because it feels like I'm watching a top secret military weapon in a testing facility. not a pixel is wasted, there isn't one extraneous polygon. I didn't get that impression with this video.
it was fun though, again, you did a really excellent job with the concept that you did have. and I actually liked the colors. it's possible that I only have mixed feelings about this because this is one of my favorite tracks from Quaristice and I was just floored the first time I heard it. I had much different imagery in my head.
in short, this video just isn't tense/scary enough to do the original justice. but I applaud you for trying.

Well, you can judge it in a positive or negative way but I think you catched the point, this video is a transcription – or better, is a 3dimensional score. It doesn’t wants to be a creative-trippy-visual experience, it wants to be an analitic experience, an attempt to unveil the music structure in a visive way. Many people (especially those not inside Ae music or even into this music genre) told me that the song itself just resembled some kind of electronic crap while with the video sounded perfect – this is a fact that made me think about.

That’s why I say that this video is different from Gantz Graf that you’re right, is more than an interpretation, and I didn’t wanted to do that. Just different ways to see things. The only slightly disappointing aspect of this work is that seems to generate more talk about gg than the video itself :) but that’s ok, I should expect it. I think that to be compared with Rutterford should be an honor for everyone

Actually I have a new idea for another Ae video but I don’t know if something concrete will ever come out. I’m working now on a short-videoclip with a soundtrack wrote by myself but it will require two or three months yet to be finished, since it’s totally autoproduced and I’m the only one involved in the work.

I’ve also a ready dvd version for plyPhon, I’m going to upload it somewhere. I’ll put the link around :)

#48 Root5

Root5

2K, On My Way

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts
  • Joined 11-June 07

Posted 12 August 2008 - 09:56 AM

That was unforgetable! I really like that track, and this is a very accurate representation of what I see when I listen to it. The blobs of colourful lines (or whatever you call them) are really true to the tone of the synth, and your representation of the drums is very impressive. I am both amazed at how you synced this to the music so well, and in awe that it is such a beautiful artistic video. Is there a file to download, or do I have to watch it on the websites?

PS: wow

#49 Guest_Scrambled Ears_*

Guest_Scrambled Ears_*
  • Guests
  • Joined --

Posted 12 August 2008 - 12:00 PM

QUOTE (thehauntingsoul @ Aug 6 2008, 12:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lucio if you were to render entire AE albums into video i would pay top dollar, i've always thought that the ae music would be perfect accompanyment for an epic animated film

so one song to video takes 400-500 hours and you want a whole album!? damn...im still stunned every time i watch this. to go beyond just gg i really like all the decisions you made and the ammount of detail on some of those metallic explosions shows true dedication. i have to disagree with whoever said autechre have few colors. i find quaristice to be a very colorful album. but i suppose its all open to interpretation. i can understand the desire to constantly critique and develop ones work, but seriously...fuck the naysayers this is something to be proud of. i think its even more special that there wasnt a team of people doing it. really allows your vision to come out.

Edited by Scrambled Ears, 12 August 2008 - 12:00 PM.

#50 Adamovich

Adamovich

1000 Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,862 posts
  • Joined 05-February 08
  • SoundCloud URL:https://soundcloud.com/adamovich88

Posted 30 August 2008 - 02:07 PM

QUOTE (Enter a new display name @ Jun 30 2008, 07:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We need a fol3 4D animation!

fixed