IGNORED

Aphex Twin @ Bestival 2008

boris

Guest esquimaw

I still might. The urge to get mangled and run around and dance will be strong though.

I'm trying to imagine the conversation with my girlfriend:

Her: Why do we have to stand quietly and deadly still, right by the soundstage?

Me: Shut up woman, I'm recording

Her: Why are you recording?

Me: Some guys I don't really know from the internet will think I'm cool if I spend the entire set stood right here, rather than dancing and having fun

Her: .....?

Me: (mumbles) watmm

Her: Wat?

Me: Never mind.

Not a good look.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest joshier

Saw him

thought his set was below poor

volume far far too quiet throughout whole set - despitte all the other acts having much louder output volume

2 hour set

played some tuss, mostly dancy weak music, very very few other songs by him.

personal opinion - total let down, but I am very convinced that he was told to put on a very specific set on, perhaps because the big top (the tent he was playing in) had very dancy-like acts on the whole weekend and a very good aphex set would have consisted of not quite dancy music but good if you're fan of aphex music. - shame because a lot of aphex fans in there but then again, a lot of people had no idea he was playing - he was also *not* announced or anything, so people weren't sure who couldn't see the DJ.

its VERY WHET

it was fucking atrocious, it poored down with rain probably the most it has within this year on the isle of wight. total fucking nightmare.

p.s. he had the body builders on stage like usual.

Do we have any recordings?

Do we have any press stories?

Do we have any pictures?

Do we have any suspicions of unreleased afx?

Guest joshier

you wouldn't want any recordings, honestly, it was just soft dance music.. I didn't have my phone so didn't bother taking pictures but I didn't believe it was him because he had fairly long hair covering his forehead and that.

I told my brother how it was and we heard people walking passed a day later just hearing over conversations like 'aphex ... what a let down'..

tell you guys what though, there was an electronic band on friday in the big top that were really good, changing beat / tempo every 3 minutes, keeping it real fresh really good... gonna see who played.

wow that was really really bad...

We weren't even sure it was aphex for the first half hour, stayed the whole set out of some weird kind of loyalty. Started off with some absolute shite then got a bit better but was so quiet that it didn't matter. Started off rammed, finished off half empty. 808 state on afterwards made up for it though..

4th time I've seen him, first flop, no idea what happened

Guest joshier
wow that was really really bad...

We weren't even sure it was aphex for the first half hour, stayed the whole set out of some weird kind of loyalty. Started off with some absolute shite then got a bit better but was so quiet that it didn't matter. Started off rammed, finished off half empty. 808 state on afterwards made up for it though..

4th time I've seen him, first flop, no idea what happened

Wasn't me just being weird then.

But yeah, the volume thing was fucked. I saw many people in the big top and they all had a fucking hard punch on their drums, really fucking great sound system and aphex came on I thought he was going to rip the shit out of it, but turns out he had a low voluem throughout.

As I say, I reckon bestival/bigtop told him to put on some mundain dance music to keep the idiots who had no idea who aphex was - happy. I can't think of any other reason.

Love to hear what aphex has to say about it.

Guest Glass Plate

well if the guy had long hair, then it had to have been some one else or something, maybe he cancelled and the venue didn't want to give refunds, who knows.

Archived