IGNORED

Aphex Twin @ Bestival 2008

boris

Guest joshier
well if the guy had long hair, then it had to have been some one else or something, maybe he cancelled and the venue didn't want to give refunds, who knows.

last time i saw aphex he had short hair.. but when I say long hair, it was covering his forehead.. I guess it could be an imposter but that's pushing it a bit.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest joshier
He's going deaf.

It would have been louder then!

Yeah, you know I'm genuinely pissed off.. I don't know what the fuck happened and I'm very inclined to try and investigate what. Something is very fishy/not right. I'll be happy once I know why.

Hey, ask him for me will you!?

Guest Calx Sherbet

yeah joyrex, talk to him. there has to be a reason behind it, richard is not the kind of person who would put on such a quiet show.

Yo guys just got home, full report later!

AFX gurners were there dressed as adult babies, very poor sound, very poor crowd.

Aphex tracks played - Fenix Funk 5, a Tuss number from the LP, something from Selected Ambient Works 1 (mixed into Ace of Clubs Madonna sampling tune), Arched Maid

Noone recognised any of them except me going mad and dancing on my own, seemed like everyone was there just to say they've seen AFX and talk shite. Poor set wasn't really Richard's fault, the sound was wank and he was getting NO crowd response. At the end he cut it off short and looked at the crowd and shrugged in a sort of "what's going on" way and STILL no response. I felt bad for the guy, after being helicoptered in and Bestival trying to get him to play for 5 yrs you'd think the crowd would go mad.

Oh and it was clearly AFX, he's just growing his hair back

At the end he cut it off short and looked at the crowd and shrugged in a sort of "what's going on" way and STILL no response.

I'd like to see that.

Guest joshier
Yo guys just got home, full report later!

AFX gurners were there dressed as adult babies, very poor sound, very poor crowd.

Aphex tracks played - Fenix Funk 5, a Tuss number from the LP, something from Selected Ambient Works 1 (mixed into Ace of Clubs Madonna sampling tune), Arched Maid

Noone recognised any of them except me going mad and dancing on my own, seemed like everyone was there just to say they've seen AFX and talk shite. Poor set wasn't really Richard's fault, the sound was wank and he was getting NO crowd response. At the end he cut it off short and looked at the crowd and shrugged in a sort of "what's going on" way and STILL no response. I felt bad for the guy, after being helicoptered in and Bestival trying to get him to play for 5 yrs you'd think the crowd would go mad.

Oh and it was clearly AFX, he's just growing his hair back

I was a bit drunk but would have danced if he played some good stuff. as it was it was poor and I was almost at the front .. then I noticed how quiet it was so walked back a bit but no help.

Also, as I recall there were quite a few people dancing.. not wildly but certainly enjoying it and loosing it in the moment.

I on the other hand didn't really welcome it.. yes he played archmeid, fenix funk.. but they aren't really knock ur socks off and get ur body moving like a twat on acid. The other material he played as I said didn't do anything.. just kind of mellow - and again, the sound was really quiet.

All the other artists playing there, even the pretty shit boring ones had this hard hitting bass you felt on your chest it was a good volume.

I have checked out the bestival forum and apparently it had to be turned down due to "environmental health issues" don't know what the fuck that's about but i do feel sorry for aphex for that shit... ah well.

oh and, lets be honest, he wasn't announced which was fucking stupid.. aphex is the god lets face it, playing at an electronic orientated festival and he wasn't on the main arena?!.. Fair enough, might of been too much, but not to even announce was just silly..

Guest griever
Ah well. If this one sucked lets just wait for the next one:

16 November 2008 - Moscow, Russia

where did you get this info from :smile:? can't find it anywhere!

Guest esquimaw

OK, here's my take on what went down..

I was down the front at the beginning (it was definitely Richard), volume was ok - not banging but alright. Playing fairly tedious material, most of the original stuff I picked out was older stuff.. Polygon Window/SAW/Analogue Bubblebath era tunes.

Went out to get more beer about 30/40 mins in.. by the time I came back the volume had gone very very quiet, with no bass whatsoever.. Maybe they killed the amps or something.. Tried gesturing to the sound guys, all I got was a shrug that suggested 'there's nothing we can do'. Hmm. Richard eventually left to pretty much zero reaction.. everyone was a bit confused I think.

The odd thing was 808 state came on afterwards.. They were really quite loud, but still with absolutely no bass frequencies.. Which was a shame, because I thought they rocked it otherwise.

Environmental health issues sounds a bit vague to me.. I think it was a case of blown/drenched sub amps or something. It was all sorted the next day though.

Big let down for the end of saturday.. Shame really. What a soggy muddy mess it all was.

My Bloody Valentine were absolutely jaw droppingly good on the friday though - personal highlight by far!

Guest joshier
OK, here's my take on what went down..

I was down the front at the beginning (it was definitely Richard), volume was ok - not banging but alright. Playing fairly tedious material, most of the original stuff I picked out was older stuff.. Polygon Window/SAW/Analogue Bubblebath era tunes.

Went out to get more beer about 30/40 mins in.. by the time I came back the volume had gone very very quiet, with no bass whatsoever.. Maybe they killed the amps or something.. Tried gesturing to the sound guys, all I got was a shrug that suggested 'there's nothing we can do'. Hmm. Richard eventually left to pretty much zero reaction.. everyone was a bit confused I think.

The odd thing was 808 state came on afterwards.. They were really quite loud, but still with absolutely no bass frequencies.. Which was a shame, because I thought they rocked it otherwise.

Environmental health issues sounds a bit vague to me.. I think it was a case of blown/drenched sub amps or something. It was all sorted the next day though.

Big let down for the end of saturday.. Shame really. What a soggy muddy mess it all was.

My Bloody Valentine were absolutely jaw droppingly good on the friday though - personal highlight by far!

Yeah, this is what I cant understand.. It was much quiter overall, but totally agree with the bass.. Odd thing being is that everyone knows highs travel further than the lower spectrum of sound for example bass and as you pointed out - 808 state much louder.

I don't know if I'm just ultra picky but that volume alone ruined it for me.. thats without even commenting on the soft dance music that had no groove or passion.

I don't buy the whole noise pollution, robin hill is in the middle of fucking nowhere and no other tent had these restrictions.

The only other thing that really pissed me off at the bestival was the fact that my cousen apparently got told he couldn't take a crate of beer to the camp site. To do that is very fucking cheeky considering the diabolical weather conditions. To be fair, I did find it hard to believe and wasn't there at the time, apart from that I did enjoy the bestival and will be going next year.

Guest MajaIloveyou
Ah well. If this one sucked lets just wait for the next one:

16 November 2008 - Moscow, Russia

i wonder if he will be interviewed by retards again in an interrogation room.

Just curious, I met a big aphex fan there, he had some kind of beanie on and gave me a high five after he stated he liked autechre.. Anyone of you?

Just curious, I met a big aphex fan there, he had some kind of beanie on and gave me a high five after he stated he liked autechre.. Anyone of you?

Should have asked him about WATMM

Yeah, this is what I cant understand.. It was much quiter overall, but totally agree with the bass.. Odd thing being is that everyone knows highs travel further than the lower spectrum of sound for example bass and as you pointed out - 808 state much louder.

Everyone doesn't know this. Bass actually travels further.

Guest Ultravisitor

he dropped the third or fourth track from quaristice in at the beginning.

i really enjoyed aphex, purely because i was fucked and had nothing to compare his set to. plus, right at the front, the sound seemed a bit better.

still, the crowd were one of the shittest crowds i have ever been in. and to think it was to aphex twin makes me annoyed.

Archived