IGNORED

Good music similar to Analord and the Tuss

saikobjorn

Yes, there are inherent similarities because of the equipment used but the style is the same genre. I don't think Aphex went out of his way to 'copy' Ceephax, he deserves more respect than that. But as I said the album that has been referred to here was released two years before the Analord series was released. The Analord series was a new direction for Aphex. He isn't the one and only creator of this type of sound. Other artists with a less-than-god-like status compared to Aphex deserve more credit.

I suppose both AFX and Ceephax were using almost the same hardware in a similar old school approach so perhaps it’s only natural CAC and Analord sound very similar in parts but then again that same could be said of both their musical styles too as neither of them sound like anything like Plastikman or early Orbital who also used similar bits of kit back in the day.

Speaking of which I forgot to mention Mr Hawtins Dimention Intrusion album which can be thrown in the 'similar' bracket.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I suppose both AFX and Ceephax were using almost the same hardware in a similar old school approach so perhaps it’s only natural CAC and Analord sound very similar in parts but then again that same could be said of both their musical styles too as neither of them sound like anything like Plastikman or early Orbital who also used similar bits of kit back in the day.

It's called Acid Techno, guys.

Don't forget the obvious Larry Heard too...

Mr. Fingers - "Amnesia" (1988)

I suppose both AFX and Ceephax were using almost the same hardware in a similar old school approach so perhaps it’s only natural CAC and Analord sound very similar

I'm not sure about this either, as Ceephax is known to use a pretty traditional Acid mainstay hardware setup (mostly Roland gear), while AFX used a lot of untraditional equipment on the Analords (hardly any TB-303 for example).

Guest Susan Midriff
Please refer to the topic title. I'm eager to hear more of this kinda stuff, but I don't really know of much, apart from some Luke Vibert material which is awesome.

Edit: Oh, and do be kind and write down good album titles as well as the artists' names =)

Valve A

W4sp +/- N3st

myspace

good beats that sound alot like the tuss/tipper/crazy shit/drexciya

I suppose both AFX and Ceephax were using almost the same hardware in a similar old school approach so perhaps it's only natural CAC and Analord sound very similar

I'm not sure about this either, as Ceephax is known to use a pretty traditional Acid mainstay hardware setup (mostly Roland gear), while AFX used a lot of untraditional equipment on the Analords (hardly any TB-303 for example).

Hardly any 303? (LOL) Although he did use a Future Retro Revolution on some tracks.

What 'untraditional' equipment would you be referring too dude?

Guest Super lurker ultra V12
fenix modular

Remember when that guy posted a picture of a Fenix and tried to pretend he was Richard?

good times

Could it be argued that Mr James ripped off Ceephax a little as parts of his 1st ‘Ceephax Acid Crew’ album sounds like it could almost be off an Analord EP?

I hear what you saying. And I have a sneaking suspicion Krafty Aphex got a bit influenced there.

um absolutely , i think even Aphex admits that his favorite artists pre Analord era was Ceephax. seems pretty obvious to me , is this even in question?

Well of course there is 303, but when you listen to someone like Ceephax or a lot of acid, things are often very 303 centric.

AFX uses all sorts of weird synths and sequencers on the Analords to create an acidy sound, and there is a lot more variety then your basic acid sounds.

He even said in the Planet Mu thread

Have you heard some of the acid riffs on analord,fucking amazing

whats he using?

I mean it sounds like a 303 but then again I dont think it is.

I want to buy my boyfriend one for valentines day!

it sounds like a magic 303 to me

Where`s your girlfriend has a really werid tuning on it?!?

the untitled track sounds unlike any 303 ive heard.

and mc4 acid totally magic 303 sounds....oh and xmd ,mental acid!!!!

Deepex is right, in analord the tunes rarely rely on 303 lines in the way that a lot of acid does, and when he uses a 303 it's really never in the conventional way that draws attention to itself.

I love all of analord so much, he is truly the fucking master. Just wish it wasnt ONLY vibert playing these tracks out, i'd love to hear more of them when i'm out and about. I love the way the compositions are all really deep yet they all still feel like jams. Fun stuff.

Cheers rich :beer:

Deepex is right, in analord the tunes rarely rely on 303 lines in the way that a lot of acid does, and when he uses a 303 it's really never in the conventional way that draws attention to itself.

Yeah, that's how I see it as well anyway

some tracks on drukqs use a 303 as well, but it's barely noticable (in my opinion)

On topic: don't really think you're going to find any acid music with as much depth until his next release to be honest mate. That's not to say there's not plenty of great shit, but you'll be disappointed if you compare anything to aphex. I don't want to arselick, but yeah...he's great!

Anyway, try newer dmx krew. Sh101 triggers ms10 is the most analordy but all the stuff he's been doing recently is great. Collapse of the wave function series was nice but he sang a bit too much for my taste! Looking forward to his next rephlex release.

If you haven't checked out saint aime by global goon thats well worth checking out as well, more conventional acid, but still with a nice depth to it (and also about a million times more danceable than anything on analord). Neon psychol is the wickedest acid trak i think i've ever heard!

Also

Amen Warrior

I fucking wish :embrassed:

Yeah, that's how I see it as well anyway

some tracks on drukqs use a 303 as well, but it's barely noticable (in my opinion)

Druqks is a bit different, the acid lines on that are so cut up, distorted and fucking mental that there's no doubt it was all assembled on a computer. It's a lot easier to mangle stuff beyond recognition on a computer than it is to actually use such ubiquitous gear in an unconventional way like he did on analord.

Druqks is still fucking wicked though. My favourite computer-aided-acid bits of drugs were the bits where he played around with the drum machines, it was great to hear all the familiar sounds ticking away far beyond the capabilities of the machines we know they're from! Listen to cock 10 at 28 seconds for an 808 going absolutely spastic!

I'm off to bed :beer:

i don't hear ceephax argument. not an analord picture there, pure oldskul acidocentricity

Not a whole lot is going to sound identical to Analord or The Tuss for reasons laid out by Amen Warrior, but the Mr. Fingers album I recommended (from 1988!) is probably the closest thing I've heard.

I'm really not an expert on acid, but I've given my input. I too would love some more quality acid and electro recommendations.

edit: One of the reasons that Mr. Fingers sounds similar is due to lack of 303 use. It also shares some of the characteristic Analord warmth.

Archived