IGNORED

Scintilli out in '09

Dale

Right, I'm getting really pissed off waiting for this album now.

the thought of it rotting away in a locker of warp headquarters completely finished with everything is really annoying

Yeah, that's pretty galling. Like someone (can't recall who) mentioned a while back, they really should try and find someone who appreciates them more than Warp seem to.

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest sirch

Well Plaid have got quite a few tracks on the Warp 20 thing. More than Autechre, who're considered to be 'bigger'. So i think Warp do still appreciate them.

Plaid have been busy with their soundtrack projects. Maybe Warp reckon Plaid are fine and have been happy doing their own thing with other people.

I think when Scintilli does finally come out it will be made a big deal of. And rightly so. I guess Warp probably dont want to just squeeze it in quickly between other releases.

Well Plaid have got quite a few tracks on the Warp 20 thing. More than Autechre, who're considered to be 'bigger'. So i think Warp do still appreciate them.

Plaid have been busy with their soundtrack projects. Maybe Warp reckon Plaid are fine and have been happy doing their own thing with other people.

I think when Scintilli does finally come out it will be made a big deal of. And rightly so. I guess Warp probably dont want to just squeeze it in quickly between other releases.

Fair point, and I do hope you're right.

• 3 weeks later...

New Update (kind of) on the Plaid website says :

"We continue to play some of the material destined for our next album live but we still have no release date.

Thanks for the many emails of support and frustration. We'll be posting more details here as we have them."

Interestingly, though, there's a new 'live' picture up, which when you click, takes you to the RRS Records website.

Could this mean that 'Scintilli' might be coming out on this label and not on Warp this time! ?

I remember hearing an interview with Andy Turner in '08, where he said that they're not actually signed to Warp anymore......

"We continue to play some of the material destined for our next album live but we still have no release date.

Thanks for the many emails of support and frustration. We'll be posting more details here as we have them."

Interestingly, though, there's a new 'live' picture up, which when you click, takes you to the RRS Records website.

Could this mean that 'Scintilli' might be coming out on this label and not on Warp this time! ?

I remember hearing an interview with Andy Turner in '08, where he said that they're not actually signed to Warp anymore......

where is that interview?

where is that interview?

It was an audio interview recorded in early '08 i think. In Australia. Andy DJ'd there.

I guess they are 're-signed' now though as there are new Plaid tracks on the Warp 20 thing.

I cant remember where i found the interview, it was on some IDM site. Do a search my good man. :)

It has been frustrating waiting for Scintilli, since we've known about it so long, but at least the 2 soundtracks have been amazing and far better than Spokes...so we can't really complain. That's two albums' worth of material there in the last 6 years. I'm just hoping Scintilli will be as good or better.

It has been frustrating waiting for Scintilli, since we've known about it so long, but at least the 2 soundtracks have been amazing and far better than Spokes...so we can't really complain. That's two albums' worth of material there in the last 6 years. I'm just hoping Scintilli will be as good or better.

I like 'Spokes' a lot.

It was miles better than Greedy Baby, anyway... which took around 4 years to complete in the end and wasn't much worth waiting for, imho. But was still interesting.

I like their use of sounds and the seemingly (almost) live sort of 'random-noise-style' in some of the tracks on Spokes.

Most of the recorded live gigs from around that time are also a good listen. Also i love the artwork on Spokes. Wicked front cover and letterstyle!

Cool artwork yes. But I can't really warm up to the album. I try once in a while though. It's certainly not bad, it just doesn't move me like their other stuff.

Greedy Baby didn't do much for me at first. Initially I just played the DVD when I got it, and thought it was interesting but nothing grabbed me. I didn't really listen to the CD till much later, and thought it was ok. However this summer I played it through headphones a few times while laying in the sun and I've come to really like it.

There are some really good tracks on Spokes, but not all of them move me, either. It might have made a better EP i suppose!

But on the whole i like their style (artwork & live gigs included) around that P-Brane/Spokes era. There's certainly a lot, lot worse 'IDM'/ techno music out there from that time.

Yeah, I don't understand all the hate for Spokes. I think it's pretty solid. Marry, Zeal, and Buns are some of their best tracks. I guess in 2003, people expected only innovative things from "IDM" or whatever. Like whenever a new album came out that didn't have some groundbreaking new technique employed in the music, people automatically thought the album sucked? I think this kind of thinking turns electronic music into more of a novelty than a real type of music.

P-Brane is the greatest though.

Yeah, I don't understand all the hate for Spokes. I think it's pretty solid. Marry, Zeal, and Buns are some of their best tracks. I guess in 2003, people expected only innovative things from "IDM" or whatever. Like whenever a new album came out that didn't have some groundbreaking new technique employed in the music, people automatically thought the album sucked? I think this kind of thinking turns electronic music into more of a novelty than a real type of music.

P-Brane is the greatest though.

Yeah I agree with you completely. And 'Buns' is such a good tune! I think it's brilliant. And 'Cedar City'... Marry, Zeal, Upona, etc. etc.

I also think P-Brane is the greatest, though. It's the best thing they've release so far this decade, imho.

Although, the Trainer compilation was very good, and that '+One' production was lovely stuff aswell! smile.gif

i'd hope for october/ november, but don't reckon it'll be out 'till february/ march next year....

hope it's worth the wait and not dissapointing. thing is though when things get built up for a long time and hyped, they're never 'all that' they're built up to be! imho.

i'd hope for october/ november, but don't reckon it'll be out 'till february/ march next year....

hope it's worth the wait and not dissapointing. thing is though when things get built up for a long time and hyped, they're never 'all that' they're built up to be! imho.

I agree. At some point the anticipation surpasses the quality, no matter how good. Best release it now before it's too late, dudes!

When I went to see them at Warp20 in Paris this year, I noticed that practically every single track played was unreleased. If all the new tracks being dropped left, right and centre at all their gigs were to make it on Scintilli, it will surely be one of their best releases. I shouldn't presume anything though.

When I went to see them at Warp20 in Paris this year, I noticed that practically every single track played was unreleased. If all the new tracks being dropped left, right and centre at all their gigs were to make it on Scintilli, it will surely be one of their best releases. I shouldn't presume anything though.

I noticed a lot of unfamiliar stuff when I saw them in January 08, and it was all very very good. I just wasn't sure if they were remixing previously released tracks or if it was new stuff, but it was so awesome. One show I'm really glad I didn't miss.

I haven't seen Plaid live for ages.

Did either of you two manage to get a recording of the gigs you went to? :smile:

I think a lot of what they were playing earlier this year was from the Heaven's Door soundtrack, wasn't it?

and there was that Double Moon II remix that was getting a lot of play, from what i saw of live vids on youtube, etc.

• 2 months later...

Archived