IGNORED

Elektron

soundwave

What's your opinion on the influence that the Manchinedrum and Monomachine have had in Autechre's musical direction?

I can help being a little biased in this matter but I listen to the recent live sets a lot more than any album these days in fact they never come off my mp3 player.

Saying that I was never a big Autechre fan until a few years ago but I appreciate their past work a lot more now.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest hahathhat

lead demonstrator? elektron should have printed them business cards, at this point. if the music ever stops paying the bills, or they get bored, i'm sure elektron would love to have them for machine concepts....

Guest funkychorlton

It means they sound a whole lot less mysterious than they once did. That machinedrum sound is everywhere now... and those nasal monomachine filters are only astonishing the first few times you hear them.... I'd be happy if they took an axe to these things

Do they just whack in rhythms with the standard built in drum hits (+ a bit of Nord synth stuff+effects), or do they make their own drum sounds?

Do they just whack in rhythms with the standard built in drum hits (+ a bit of Nord synth stuff+effects), or do they make their own drum sounds?

Both. Quaristice and the related ep's feature much more standard and recognizable elektron sounds than any of their other work.

As an elektron owner, I can confirm that AE haven't even come close to touching all the potential of these machines.

That said, I kind of want them either to do an album like their live sets, or do a completely different direction with like an acoustic/found sound album or play with their computers some more.

Both. Quaristice and the related ep's feature much more standard and recognizable elektron sounds than any of their other work.

That's a shame. Lazy bastards. ;)

Could you give examples? I don't mean sound clips, but just a few quick ideas on tracks where they've used standard presets.

Could you give examples? I don't mean sound clips, but just a few quick ideas on tracks where they've used standard presets.

The most obvious to my ears is Blyz Castl off of the Jap ep. Sean uses samples from the stock sample back from the original machinedrum which I have and adds lots of reverb. Bnc Castl uses a lot of the stock drum sounds on the monomachine. Those chords during chenc 9 are pretty standard monomachine sound which I haven't used prolly since my first few months of having the thing. Same with the SID sound on the chenc 9 melody. But I like that synth sound and still use it. But usually with more distortion.

and those nasal monomachine filters are only astonishing the first few times you hear them.... I'd be happy if they took an axe to these things

yeah BRA lets go back to analog so we can get fuckin PHAT filters dawg because no one is using analog at all right now

monomachine is a digital piece of shit no WARMTH niga !

The most obvious to my ears is Blyz Castl off of the Jap ep. Sean uses samples from the stock sample back from the original machinedrum which I have and adds lots of reverb. Bnc Castl uses a lot of the stock drum sounds on the monomachine. Those chords during chenc 9 are pretty standard monomachine sound which I haven't used prolly since my first few months of having the thing. Same with the SID sound on the chenc 9 melody. But I like that synth sound and still use it. But usually with more distortion.

besides what Rook already mentioned, the bass drums on perlence are from the physical modeling machinedrum kit pretty much unaltered

the clicking "tap tap tap" drums at the end of chenc9 are a slightly altered md kit, forgot which one

Io is pretty monomachine and machinedrum centric but its very effected and manipulated probably not many presets being used here.

90101-5l-l sounds like exclusively monomachine an machinedrum but is also heavily effected with lots of lfos running to make the drums get all skittery.

That really deep metallic bass drum in Iera is a stock sound. Same with the cowbell. I love that deep bass drum sound though lol.

Guest AOOproductions
if the music ever stops paying the bills, or they get bored, i'm sure elektron would love to have them for machine concepts....

:laughing: that won't even happen... :mellow: Will it?

I like the elektron sound. I was just listening to the glasgow 05 recording a moment ago, sounds like the set had a lot of elektron influence scattered about.

Guest musicforairports

Personally I feel autechre's recent stuff (which is good but not as older stuff) is a bit schizoprehnic, in the sense that its like sean and rob forgot they are autechre and started ripping their own ideas to sound like autechre, yet more mundane. Hope they dump the elektrons, it just gives their sound a "made in 20 minutes before jeremy kyle came on" aesthetic.

Quaristice was still ace though.

Guest funkychorlton
Hope they dump the elektrons, it just gives their sound a "made in 20 minutes before jeremy kyle came on" aesthetic.

tee hee

Quaristice was still ace though.

huh? you mean ace considering it was made in 20 minutes before jeremy kyle came on? Quaristice sounds like a demo to me

F

it sounds elektron-ish and that's it. i don't believe in gear influence on ideas of ae

Actually they talk all the time about how different pieces of equipment influence their work.

Guest Goum Le Chat

Sublimit sounds imo a lot like tweaked samples in machinedrum with rtrig, rtim and start/end position, and all that mixed up in song mode.

In the Untitled/Quaristice live sets, you can easily recognize Elektron stuff, maybe more machinedrum (but I know quite well this piece of gear, so it's maybe just me). Like in Quaristice set that PI-machine sound alone around 20 minutes, or the monomachine rythm in Untitled set around 38 minutes.

oh yea. That shake sound and snare sound in the beginning of Sublimit is pretty standard machinedrum.

And yea their live sets, especially Glasgow, are an elektron party. But seriously, I have been trying to emulate that snare sound Sean uses a lot like forever and I can never get it quite right. Like the one in LCC and in the LCC remix during the live sets. The one that is all over the place during the quaristice tour. The really powerful one.

oh yea. That shake sound and snare sound in the beginning of Sublimit is pretty standard machinedrum.

And yea their live sets, especially Glasgow, are an elektron party. But seriously, I have been trying to emulate that snare sound Sean uses a lot like forever and I can never get it quite right. Like the one in LCC and in the LCC remix during the live sets. The one that is all over the place during the quaristice tour. The really powerful one.

you know i was thinking the snares they use might be from the MPC as well, after all they do have one on stage during both of those tours. the snares are probably the weakest aspect of the Machindrums, the claps sounds fucking great especially through the compression and reverb master effects, but just straight snares (especially the synth generated ones) are kind of disappointing for me.

you know i was thinking the snares they use might be from the MPC as well, after all they do have one on stage during both of those tours. the snares are probably the weakest aspect of the Machindrums, the claps sounds fucking great especially through the compression and reverb master effects, but just straight snares (especially the synth generated ones) are kind of disappointing for me.

Yea, I use the EFM Bass Drum for snare hits lol along with the noise machine and that really good clap one.

Guest Goum Le Chat

Yea, I use the EFM Bass Drum for snare hits lol along with the noise machine and that really good clap one.

Did you try the LCC sysex file on elektron-users that Futureimage did ? He get quite close.

Archived