IGNORED

animal collective - merriweather post pavilion

Guest Jimmy McMessageboard

I've never listened to this album. It kinda feels like I've been intuitively avoiding it since it was released, as pretentious as that sounds.

I enjoyed the first two albums when they came out as a 2xCD thing, as odd lil psychedelic curios. And I have a very nice split 12" on fatcat between Avey Tare and David Grubbs

But when this album was about to drop it felt like either getting on the AC hype train or choosing not to. And I chose the latter. Might listen to it this week.

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it's a great album, it deserved all the praise it got. not many albums that try and do this sort of thing actually work but this one definitely did. it also fucking rocks on a good system with nice subs. sports brother sports brother sports brother sports brother

I loved it to bits when it came out, but I haven't listened to it in ages - its easily my favourite animal collective album, haven't liked any of the new stuff as much, but painting with was pretty good I thought

I haven't loved any panda bear solo stuff since person pitch - maybe I need to relisten

Check this out if you haven't already, Abyss Song (Abby's Song) is very very good

https://www.discogs.com/David-Grubbs-Avey-Tare-Split-Series-16/release/327132

One of my favorite Avey Tare songs

Another relatively unknown track that I love. Brings me back to tripping on shrooms:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=fwc6UyhZLbc

it's a great album, it deserved all the praise it got. not many albums that try and do this sort of thing actually work but this one definitely did. it also fucking rocks on a good system with nice subs. sports brother sports brother sports brother sports brother

totally agree

sports bra!

Have you heard his new one?

Yes, apparently Domino has been sitting on Buoys since September, so it leaked a month or two after that. I preordered so I don’t feel bad listening to it. It’s quite good, but a departure from Grim Reaper and Homies - a lot more stripped down and mellow. At first I was iffy but I enjoy it more every time I hear it.

I think they were sitting on it even longer than that!

But yea, I love it. Saw him this past May and seeing him next month

Yeah I mean from what I’ve heard, Homies was originally going to be 1 of a trilogy of EPs and then the last two became Buoys. Which means they’ve had it for a long damn while. Poor PeeBz.

homies is amazing. That stuff live hits really hard. his setup is really nice and the sound is always super full. Excited to see what he does this tour.

Yeah Part of the Math fucking jams, especially now that I managed to grab it on record and I’m not stuck listening to the rip. Came close to my SOTY.

homies is amazing. That stuff live hits really hard. his setup is really nice and the sound is always super full. Excited to see what he does this tour.

Yeah Part of the Math fucking jams, especially now that I managed to grab it on record and I’m not stuck listening to the rip. Came close to my SOTY.

I nabbed the vinyl as well. Have you seen him live?

I nabbed the vinyl as well. Have you seen him live?

Yeah, it was transcendent. 2014 at Sasquatch Music Festival, I hadn’t ever really given him a chance bc of the AnCo affiliation. When he played Boys Latin I was a convert for life. Probably one of my top 10 concerts of all time.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived