IGNORED

What are you consuming right now?

Squee

Chilli prawn linguine and a can of coke.

Been posh readymeals agogo for nights this week, the smoked haddock risotto was one of those too. Tomorrow night though, morbid curiousity has won and I'm gonna try the Sainsbury's Basics mac&cheese which is 80p.

RIP my guts.

Yarrow tea - I collected the wild plants from the forest and dried them at home.

Badass! I wish I was better at identifying plants, sounds so fun to do some herb hunt hiking (or shroom hunt hiking which kinda scares me)

Microwaved Kirkland brand beef frank with yellow mustard. I probably don't wanna know what they put into these fuckers but they sure taste good.

Chilled club soda with lime, on the rocks.

The grocery store down the street finally has those nice big fat juicy limes again. I feel like a king squeezing these supple beauties onto my ice cubes.

Mid-day coffee.

I've been into pour-overs lately. Recently got a burr grinder and a decent pour-over kettle with built-in thermometer so I can get OCD about grind size and brewing temps. Love me some coffee science.

Nice, I love pourover but I feel like my game has been failing lately. The sour notes have been getting progressively worse; I probably just need to coarsen the grind. I have a nice burr grinder and a Hario swan neck kettle but I have this shitty thermometer I don't even bother using anymore. I think I'm fucking up something in my process though, I don't think it's the tools. I'm not ruling out the beans, either.

Yeah so many things can affect it. When I'm gonna vary my coffee I try to science it by keeping all parameters fixed except one and changing that one over a few batches to feel out the right level. I usually grind at about 60% fine and aim to start pouring at 200F. Sometimes if the temp gets too low while I'm pouring I'll re-heat the water. Not sure if that's a bullshit move but I figure it can't hurt as long as you don't overshoot.

What makes them Korean (and why do they take so long to make..?)?

I can't remember the exact recipe, and we had to substitute a few ingredients. Normally they coat the wings in potato starch prior to frying, but we used cornstarch. Then you cook up a sauce which you pour over at the end, garlic, ginger, soy, honey (were supposed to use a korean sweet chilli sauce, but we didn't have any), sesame oil.

Yarrow tea - I collected the wild plants from the forest and dried them at home.

Badass! I wish I was better at identifying plants, sounds so fun to do some herb hunt hiking (or shroom hunt hiking which kinda scares me)

It's very fun! I have spots all over the woods that I visit depending on what's in season. Soon the mulberries will be ripe.. best two weeks of the year!

I confident with my plant IDs but very much a noob regarding fungi. I do have several sites where I find reishi mushrooms though, which I'm sure are correctly identified (have been independently verified).

I can't remember the exact recipe, and we had to substitute a few ingredients. Normally they coat the wings in potato starch prior to frying, but we used cornstarch. Then you cook up a sauce which you pour over at the end, garlic, ginger, soy, honey (were supposed to use a korean sweet chilli sauce, but we didn't have any), sesame oil.

Yes, that's it, potato starch! Those are good even without the sauce but that sweet chili sauce (gochujang, I think) is tasty on all kinds of stuff.

When I'm gonna vary my coffee I try to science it by keeping all parameters fixed except one and changing that one over a few batches to feel out the right level. I usually grind at about 60% fine and aim to start pouring at 200F. Sometimes if the temp gets too low while I'm pouring I'll re-heat the water. Not sure if that's a bullshit move but I figure it can't hurt as long as you don't overshoot.

That's smart. I was trying to do that for a while but I was too impatient and undisciplined. I need to get back into that. I do the reheat if it gets low thing too. Usually my process is:

- Bring to boil, take off heat for 30 sec

- Initial soak

- Put back on heat, take off again & wait 30 sec again

- Second soak

- One more boil / 30 second wait

- Precision pour

Which might not be ideal...

Yes, that's it, potato starch! Those are good even without the sauce but that sweet chili sauce (gochujang, I think) is tasty on all kinds of stuff.

We are making wings this weekend, going to try making our own! We generally just fry them but we're going to starch them (not sure if corn or potato) and make some crispy ones ;)

Meant to pick up some beers after work but had to rush home because a guy was meant to come and fix our leaky boiler (dude never showed up, in hindsight expecting someone to come out after 6pm on a Friday night was probably pretty naive, lol), so I've had to improvise- having a green tea with limoncello which is actually a really lovely combination for a quiet night in.

This beer (porter) has been staring me in the face at my local Sainsburys for a long time, for some reason I always swerved it

IMG_20120916_134656.jpg

What an outstanding ale! 7.2% and full of fathoms of delicious flavour.

Porters can be strange beasts, they're either love or hate for me, so I can end up ignoring them alltogether. This I love.

Picked up a bottle of Chimay Grande Reserve. I've been meaning to try it for a really long time, but it turns out this is really not my kind of beer. I'm glad I grabbed some IPAs to cozy up with too.

What put you off of it, not enough IBUs?

Chimay in general but the grande reserve specifically is on a short list of my faves. I usually only have 1 beer of that style in a night though, they're pretty heavy.

I'm going to (because I'm drunk) going to give you a list of everything I've consumed since 4.30am this morning (because I'm drunk). Here we go!

1 pint of tap water with 3 capsules of wheatgrass,

1 cup of green tea, followed by 1 cup of black tea (no sugar)

1 pint of tap water with a large cod liver oil capsule

1 cup of very milky tea (no sugar)

1 bowl of organic porridge with semi skimmed milk

1 banana

1 pint of coffee made with unsweetened soya milk

1 litre of h2o

1 apple

2 hobnob biscuits

1 litre of h2o

1 ginsters steak pie

1 cup of coffee

2 bottles of franziskaner

1 bottle of highland spring

1 bottle of franziskaner

4 pints of London Portabello craft ale pilsner

2 pints of h2O

3 milkthistle capsules

2 bottles of Aspnall Premier Cru cider

viking dinner

1 bottle of Aspnall Premier Cru Cider

2 glasses of H2o

2 nufrofen

1 goldenvirgina rollup

Goodfuckingnightandgodbless

Edited by beerwolf

+ foto_1_lotusspeculooscrunchy1.jpg

I'm intrigued. What's this spread made of? I googled it and don't really understand lol. Speculoos is a cookie isn't it? Is this spreadable cookie?

Edited by StephenG