IGNORED

What are you consuming right now?

Squee

Just opened a bottle of Mercurey, Domaine des Chaumellottes, it's very nice. Going to have it with some reheated curry, onion bhajis and samosas I had in the freezer.

about to fuck up this mujaddara f'real

that sounds delicious. :emb:

They sell it at Trader Joe's, mayne.

Edited by doublename

Picked up a bottle of Chimay Grande Reserve. I've been meaning to try it for a really long time, but it turns out this is really not my kind of beer. I'm glad I grabbed some IPAs to cozy up with too.

What put you off of it, not enough IBUs?

Chimay in general but the grande reserve specifically is on a short list of my faves. I usually only have 1 beer of that style in a night though, they're pretty heavy.

I think so, yeah. I've gotten to the point where my beer aesthetics are so narrow I can really only stand hoppy IPAs. Not into that, yeah, heavy stout kind of a thing at all.

about to fuck up this mujaddara f'real

that sounds delicious. :emb:

They sell it at Trader Joe's, mayne.

Yeah but:

I think so, yeah. I've gotten to the point where my beer aesthetics are so narrow I can really only stand hoppy IPAs. Not into that, yeah, heavy stout kind of a thing at all.

I dig both. Like a really heavy stout in between lighter ales/pilsners, and really hoppy IPAs anytime/24-7. IPAs are my favorite but I like to break them up with Saisons and Stouts, yeasty beers, etc.

Btw the korean chicken wing thing inspired me to try making Karaage tonight. It's chicken marinated a long time in soy, sugar, sake, garlic, and ginger, then coated in potato starch and fried. First batch is going in the fryer in an hour, pics to follow =)

Edited by StephenG

I dig both. Like a really heavy stout in between lighter ales/pilsners, and really hoppy IPAs anytime/24-7. IPAs are my favorite but I like to break them up with Saisons and Stouts, yeasty beers, etc.

Btw the korean chicken wing thing inspired me to try making Karaage tonight. It's chicken marinated a long time in soy, sugar, sake, garlic, and ginger, then coated in potato starch and fried. First batch is going in the fryer in an hour, pics to follow =)

Oh awesome, that sounds great. Yes, please, report back on how it turns out!

Have to work late tonight so I just made coffee per my standard hi-dose, quick Aeropress recipe:

-Medium roast coffer, whole bean

-three Aeropress scoops of beanz

-pre rinsed Aeropress paper filter

-grind to approximate standard paper filter setting (have to do it by eye)

-let water sit off boil for 2 full minutes

-drip enough water to cover grounds inside Aeropress, let bloom 15 seconds

-pour water into Aeropress until water just touches the bottom of the 4 marker

-stir 10 seconds

-insert Aeropress plunger, depress slowly, aiming for about 20 seconds before hiss of air being forced through grounds

-stop pressing immediately upon hiss, then push the rest out over the sink and rinse Aeropress so it doesn't get gross

-add just a bit of remaining hot water to cup of pressed coffee to bring it down to French press strength (I can do this by eye easily with my little ikea cup, otherwise it's a bit trial and error and/or up to personal preferences.

It's, uh, easier than it sounds.

Edit: note: it tastes much better in the Aeropress if the water isn't too hot.

I need to get a real coffee grinder to make this perfect (using a shit standard blade grinder, which is inconsistent and can add some powdery fines which shouldn't be in my drink).

Edited by baph

second bottle of wine, Morey St Denis, another Burgundy. a few sips in and I think it really needs to breath, going to decant this guy.

Oh awesome, that sounds great. Yes, please, report back on how it turns out!

aETMM7B.jpg

Ok, ok... first pic doesn't do it justice. They are slightly overcooked (I was a dumbass and didn't get the wings to room temperature before coating and frying so I was a bit paranoid), and a tiny bit too much starch (there was slight residuals on the surface as you can see, even after frying).

But even the first batch is some of the best wings I've ever, ever had. The coating with the potato starch is very crispy, but thin and delicate somehow at the same time. Holds your seasonings well too, and the marinade added the right level of saltiness and broke down some of the fat so they were nice and tender.

Wicked deal, you should give it a shot. The second batch was far better looking as the wings had come up to room temp. They were perfectly golden brown and delicious. But of course my dumbass ate them before taking a pic. heh.

Edited by StephenG

lamb curry, a coriander, mint, cream sauce. was v. lush.

vkj55L2.jpg

spent hours cooking the fucking thing, made loads so lots of leftovers for freezing, but then my brother spills the lot on the ground, ffs.

Whipped up meatless kielbasa drizzled with Sriracha on a hoagie bun with sauteed onions and garlic plus pickles on top. Couldn't really taste the veg-basa t.b.h.

Wish there was a better way to eat healthy without compromising flavor.

Field 41 IPA. Enjoying it much more than that Chimay.

lamb curry, a coriander, mint, cream sauce. was v. lush.

spent hours cooking the fucking thing, made loads so lots of leftovers for freezing, but then my brother spills the lot on the ground, ffs.

That looks lush indeed... boy I could go for some lamb right now. Damn klutzy brothers!

The only vegetarian dishes I've every liked are curries, usually indian ones. Deep fried pakora with curry sauces are delicious.

This. Indians have been eating vegetarian for hundreds (thousands?) of years; they know how to do it right.

I've had some beautiful vegetarian soba kaiseki but it was a more aesthetic experience, where the Indian dishes really satisfy, even without the meat.