IGNORED

What are you consuming right now?

Squee

Made a quick sauce with minced beef/pork, zucchini, onion and garlic of course, sofrito at the end. Seasoned with fennelseeds, cloves, nutmeg and cumin. Served over some perle, shitloads of freshly grated parmesan and crushed black pepper added on plate.

Washing it down with merlot. It's fucking lush. 

• Like 1

It was. Those four spices really make meat and tomato based pasta sauces for me, only thing to watch is to not overdo it on the cumin. Cumin.  

Bang on the Beavertown Gamma Ray.

Had quite a few months off the craft ale, but my local M&S has buy 2 cans and get 1 free so I was tempted back into the fold. Got a stash of Neck Oil, Gamma Ray and Lupuloid.

Man, it has to be said their beers are pretty amazing. 

On 5/13/2019 at 11:05 PM, hello spiral said:

cumin me.

Yeah might have to give it a go. Feel free to write out a more detailed recipe

Ok, I'll try. I'll write out the recipe for the most fancy version, usually I'll leave out/substitute some things, cept for the spices of course.   

Ingredients:

Minced meat (usually go for pork or pork and beef) (sometimes I'll also add some pancetta)

Couple of tomatoes

Red bell pepper (chop this very finely)

Either a can of tomato pulp or a thing of tomato frito (frito is a bit more lush) 

Courgette 

A carrot or two

Couple of sticks of celery

Red onion

Garlic

Cloves (powder)

Nutmeg

Fennel seed (powder)

Cumin

Bayleaf 

I tried putting the spices in the order of most used to least, the main thing to watch is not to overdo the cumin. (lol) (but seriously, don't overdo it)   

Onions and after a minute or 2 the pepper are first to go in the pan, I try to get the pepper to disappear in the sauce. 

When things start browning throw in the carrot and celery, this all cooks on a medium/highish heat for around 10 minutes. 

Add garlic for a minute or 2 before adding the meat and the courgette. At this stage throw in all the spices and (liberally) salt and pepper. When the meat is more or less browned/cooked add the tomatoes and the pulp/sofrito, simmer down and let it simmer for as long as you can wait at this point obvs have a taste and see if the spicing needs adjusting. If you've had a bad day and need some extra consoling add a couple of spoons of sour cream/creme fraiche to the sauce to make it more comforting.      

By this time the previously unmentioned pot of pastawater (very liberally salted) should be reaching the boil so throw in the pasta, when that's cooked toss in a couple of spoons of pastawater into the sauce, drain the pasta and add to sauce. 

Add tons of black pepper and hard italian cheese on the plate.   

• Burger 1

A glass of Graham Norton's Sauvignon Blanc. It's on special offer at Tesco (boring fact but thought I'd tell you anyway).

Very nice indeed!

@user lush ty<3 I'll give it a go when I'm on annual leave next week(s) and report back

Now Consuming: Yesterday was takeaway night during this set of nightshifts. I'm brassic atm so I declined. Everyone else ordered from the West Indian place down the road. The dipstick I work with for the first few hours of each shift took 2-3 bites of his order and said "nah, I don't like this".

SO now I got a massive portion of goat curry which has lasted me 2 nights so far :^)

• Burger 1

Netherlands. Funny, I actually googled it before posting the recipe and googled for sofrito but then realized what I use is frito, heinz make it. It should be available at sainsbury's. 

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/shop/gb/groceries/heinz-tomato-frito-traditional-520g

It looks a bit different from what I buy here but seems to be the same thing. It isn't terribly essential, one of the things it does is add some sweetness, usually use a little bit of sugar or honey to remove a bit of sourness when using tomato pulp, forgot to mention.     

The boy bawang - that's like an inca corn type snack? Super crunchy? 

We've got some jalapeno cheddar ones here, we just buy it in bulk from the grocery store but its so good. 

Edited by StephenG
  • Burger 1

lol good ole ding dong! Not readily available here, maybe at the Asian supermarkets. love that shiz. 

Just now, yekker said:

i bought these spicy cheetos but they are not very good. I usually buy the jalapeno flavor but they were out.

the "flaming hot" ones? 

Not nearly as good as the jalapeno ones =(

Just now, StephenG said:

lol good ole ding dong! Not readily available here, maybe at the Asian supermarkets. love that shiz. 

the "flaming hot" ones? 

Not nearly as good as the jalapeno ones =(

Yep! Fuck this shit :catrage: