IGNORED

What is it like being an Australian?

Salvatorin

Guest bitroast

haha. was doing my head in at fisrt. i thought the show was broadcast live, to children, early in the morning.

australian humour for me = the late show. what with pissweak world, charlie the wonder dog, etc.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Betty
haha. was doing my head in at fisrt. i thought the show was broadcast live, to children, early in the morning.

Well, it probably wasn't live but it was for children.

i live in an australian/polish area of london. theyre like super drunk versions of the american stereotype - loud, obnoxious cretins you can spot a mile-off. their womenfolk are pretty annoying too, they're always like "that's so hot" "she's so hot" and address each other as "babe".

the funny thing is i never meet or see ozzies when out and about london, just drunk on the bus or around antipodean bars called walkabout or redback or waggawallabarbiedoof. its as if when they come over here they just naturally group together to only get pissed at shitty home-themed boozers.

im sure there are exceptions but otherwise this is fact.

Iran-BurnDanishFlag-AustrailianEmbassy-2006-02-06.jpg

No whingeing poms thanks.

Guest bitroast

yeah yeah, the camera man says stuff like "let's do that again". pretty sure saying something like "let's do that again" doesn't really go down well when you filming live tv.

i live in an australian/polish area of london. theyre like super drunk versions of the american stereotype - loud, obnoxious cretins you can spot a mile-off. their womenfolk are pretty annoying too, they're always like "that's so hot" "she's so hot" and address each other as "babe".

yeah those are basically our mainstream corporate types. work a cubicle job by day, then on weekends get super smashed and start fights on the streets, yelling and being general nuisances.

Guest Betty

I've been to quite a few national parks around the eastern part of Australia, more than most people, it's something I like to do. More people would probably do it but it's hard because it's like a full day's drive between some of them and there are a lot of them (although many would argue that there should be more areas preserved in this way) so you literally need weeks or months to do it.

My favorite one was probably Nightcap National Park which is in the North-East 'Rainbow Region' of New South Wales. The area used to be volcanic so the soil is extremely fertile due to all of the ash in it. I found some pics of it on the web:

blackbutt-lookout.jpg

It has a waterfall called "Protester Falls" which was renamed after the hippie protesters who famously saved the area from being cleared for logging in the 70's.

r211010_810364.jpg

r211011_810368.jpg

When I visited the waterfall I tried drawing it in pencil for a couple of hours but gave up as it was too epic for me to render in the kind of detail I wanted.

The thing that really appealed to my sensibilities is that almost every surface seemed to be covered with some kind of moss or lichen.

IMG_4543.jpg

IMG_4545.jpg

IMG_4547.jpg

WALKTWO.JPG

walktwelve.jpg

WALKFIVE.JPG

As far as where I live it's quite suburban but it's 30 minutes drive to get to Mount Dandenong National Park which is pretty amazing seeing as it is so close to the city (in fact it may even be considered part of the greater metropolitan area of Melbourne). It's a cool-temperate rain-forest as opposed to the photos above which are sub-tropical.

IMG_0206_13.JPG

There is also a sanctuary there with lots of sculptures in amongst the trees.

38846891.186_8657_RJcopy.jpg

I hope you've enjoyed today's lesson. :rolleyes:

Guest Betty

Urrr. I think I posted too many photos and not all of them are showing up. Let's see if the sanctuary one works this time:

38846891.186_8657_RJcopy.jpg

Urrr.

Archived