IGNORED

How did you come across Aphex twin?

Guest Ikiru

Guest vodor

back when craig kilborn ran the daily show and they had a music video review segment, they "reviewed" the come to daddy video. the bit was funny but i also thought the music and video were quite neato, and so aphex twin was filed in the back of my mind as "electronic musician of renown."

radio rock became deeply unsatisfying to me a bit later, and napster was around, and i started to get the feeling that i should explore electronic music, because it was an unexploted frontier. radiohead was one band that wasn't unsatisfying, and a review that i read of Kid A name-dropped that aphex twin guy again, so i set about investigating.

i checked allmusic.com for aphex twin and they gave the most stars to "i care because you do" so i napstered it.

fucking looooooved that shit. particularly icct hedral.

stumbled upon joyrex.com during later investigations. learned about autechre, etc.

the end.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest Somethin

i knew someone on another discussion board who mentioned it in the music section. i just utubed it and liked what i was hearing

O man I'll never for get the day I heard my First Aphex Twin Song...

Well one day I had the intent of listening to NIN Further Down the Spiral but instead I came across a CD cover with children all having this same creepy man's face. I must have been 11 or 13 at the time and thought wow this looks most unappealing. None the less I poped it in and OMG I think my mind lost its virginity. The very first song that played was Come To Daddy and I was immediatly hooked, then the blissful Flim came on and it was like the perfect contrast and means to calm me down after Come To Daddy had just made me punching the air and doing flips. From that moment on I was on a rampage looking for all kinds of music like that and he's kept me alive since then, as I now listen to music non stop everyday.

I later found out the guy I had to thank for me accidental finding of Aphex Twin's Come To Daddy CD. My sister's friend from Greece had came to visit and he bought her that CD. As soon as my Sis told me that the next time I went to Greece and saw him I thanked him. I was like "Thanks to you I have reason to live, thanks to you I know Aphex Twin". god happy days. Nothing like the first time though.

Guest hahathhat

These days, you instantly have EVERYTHING you could ever hope to know about a band, all mapped out on MySpace and Wikipedia. I guess it makes me understand more why people want to create this Tuss-like veil of secrecy around things. Make it more like it used to be, where you had to accept or not accept, without all the research. Sometimes these days, getting into a band feels like researching a school report, the amount of information that comes in an instant.

the upside is finding MORE good music via related artist links, links from the wiki, etc.

for a new artist, if i don't already know what i want, i'll usually skim through the wiki and see what it seems to suggest as the "important" tracks or albums. then i'll get that. then i will shut off wikipedia and actually listen to the shit. if it is good, i will get more. once i listen to that, i will pick a branch off to some other artist, and the process repeats. you wind up swallowing gobs of music, spending less time re-listening. not sure whether that's good or bad.

Guest cuntainer

i saw come to daddy on late night rage when i was a young lad and it scared me so i didn't give aphex a chance until years later.

then i found out the 2 best tracks on further down the spiral were both aphex. (well 1 and 3/4 tracks...)

I went over to a friend's house in Jr. High after work,he was shuffling through SAW II and we smoked up to it... I remember coming up the stairs into his already smoke filled room and everyone was sitting around the room, "Tassles" was the track playing, and I remember after taking 1 hit and being like, this is some trippy shit wtf is this? He burned me a copy and about a week later I bought the RDJ album, and I was hooked.

Some nerd I used to play team fortress classic with was chatting about him, I looked him up and discovered Come to Daddy and my life went downhill from there.

Bellybutton to chin, a little dribble on the forehead. :facepalm:

No, sorry. Here:

vol04.jpg

Guest ansgaria

Probably watching the video for 'Come to Daddy' on MTV years and years ago. It just freaked the shit out of me. I didn't start appreciating Richard's work until some years ago.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest dilbthelame

was in 2001 i think, i was about 15, got Q magazine which had one of their ohsomany lists in it, and this one was the '50 heaviest albums ever' - also included the holy bible, levez vos skinny fists, downward spiral etc... and being into the whole heavy thing at the time (teenagers eh....) i read through it, and one of them was aphex twin 'classics'. the review went something like 'not richard james' most finessed work, but probably his most head-drilling' which i quite liked the sound of.

bought the album a couple weeks later, heard digeridoo, then heard polynomial-c -> jawdrop, fandom.

Guest Calx Sherbet

Some nerd I used to play team fortress classic with was chatting about him, I looked him up and discovered Come to Daddy and my life went downhill from there.

i love how you used "downhill" haha.

Archived