IGNORED

What video games are you currently playing?

Rubin Farr

my friend and i have been playing company of heroes alot for the past 2 weeks. initially we were terrible at it, constantly being humiliated by people and the computer. it was a lot more complex then what we were use too, medieval and rome. anyway, last night we the most amazing game were we DESTROYED our opponents, the most fun i have had playing a game in a while, does anyone here play coh online? we're still pretty bad at the game, but slowly, we ascend the skill curve.

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still not finished with Amnesia. I thought I would get it done last night but I spent so much time and nerves in that fucking room with the red fog and the plants, it was 4 am and I just had to stop. Apparently not to the amusement of my gf who always watches me play (it's her game after all, since I gave it to her for her birthday, but she won't play it anymore due to the stress it creates) - she wanted the game to be over so much, she begged me to keep playing and hit me on the arm. Then she told me she hasn't slept well a single night since we started the game and is now terrified of everything and paranoid when alone. You hear that, Frictional Games?

What a nice birthday present I chose! :emotawesomepm9:

Guest futuregirlfriend

So, a new trailer from Deus Ex was just released. That game will fail. HARD!

Hmm doesn't look good but I'll try and remain open-minded until I see something that isn't OTT comba- ah fuck I just started to read about it in another tab "will feature a contextual third person viewpoint when using the cover system, certain augmentations, or closeup instant-kill moves" ... "Human Revolution will use a regenerating health model. This change was made because the developers didn't want players to get into a situation where they were unable to progress due to low health, and would be forced to 'scrounge for med packs.'" Wowowow. I can see every other aspect being dumbed down too. I wonder what Eidos will do to Thief in the new game.

Guest Gbiscuit

So, a new trailer from Deus Ex was just released. That game will fail. HARD!

Hmm doesn't look good but I'll try and remain open-minded until I see something that isn't OTT comba- ah fuck I just started to read about it in another tab "will feature a contextual third person viewpoint when using the cover system, certain augmentations, or closeup instant-kill moves" ... "Human Revolution will use a regenerating health model. This change was made because the developers didn't want players to get into a situation where they were unable to progress due to low health, and would be forced to 'scrounge for med packs.'" Wowowow. I can see every other aspect being dumbed down too. I wonder what Eidos will do to Thief in the new game.

It sounds like they turned an amazing IP into Halo. :facepalm:

Why do all games have to get easier these days ... it doesn't even make sense, we were the ones who played Donkey Kong Country 2 when we were 8 years old and eventually made it through the bramble levels. It's not like we've never encountered frustration.

On the other hand I realize that old games were mostly hard in order to propose a challenge and provide the play time, the core was the mechanic and once that had been programmed, the individual levels could be made at will with relatively little effort in comparison. In newer games the developers have to create so many 3D models and shit throughout each level so they probably wouldn't want people to be stuck in the second stage. I still prefer a challenging game though.

Guest AcrossCanyons

I got Resonance of Fate on sale for 14 bucks.

How is it? i've considered getting it since it was released, and I'm pretty sure it goes for cheap by now.

Guest AcrossCanyons

Why do all games have to get easier these days ... it doesn't even make sense, we were the ones who played Donkey Kong Country 2 when we were 8 years old and eventually made it through the bramble levels. It's not like we've never encountered frustration.

On the other hand I realize that old games were mostly hard in order to propose a challenge and provide the play time, the core was the mechanic and once that had been programmed, the individual levels could be made at will with relatively little effort in comparison. In newer games the developers have to create so many 3D models and shit throughout each level so they probably wouldn't want people to be stuck in the second stage. I still prefer a challenging game though.

I don't think they really do get much easier these days. Games back then were just full of bugs or straight up annoyances that don't provide challenge, just frustration. Games can still be difficult. (example Modern Warfare/2 on the hardest difficulty. Pop your head out of cover for more than 5 seconds and I guarantee you're dead)

Guest Dirty Protest

This Flash game is just straight up brilliant and better than most paid games ive played recently. The learning curve is spot on and the game has just the right amount of luck and skill.

Drop Dead 2

Guest Dirty Protest

The later modes are more about movement, when you build up hp for more pulls. Might try to find the developers and see if i can send them some pennies.

I got Resonance of Fate on sale for 14 bucks.

How is it? i've considered getting it since it was released, and I'm pretty sure it goes for cheap by now.

Things I Like:

Grindfest (you can basically force fights to go down)

Open world with towns to explore and quests to get

Deep combat system available from the start. This might be the best part of the game.

Ability to stroll around as the female and not a 13 year old bicurious male.

The only thing I don't like is how far I have to travel to save currently. Its my understanding however that at some point I can put save points on the world grid and do that.

I'm only about 4 hours in.

assassin's creed brotherhood. i didn't even know the game was coming out until a few weeks ago. it's so fucking good.

there's nothing better than following your target and then whistling so that two of your assassin recruits jump from out of nowhere and stab him to death. woooooo.

Stoped Gaycraft and started playing a real mans game.

Vindictus !!! FTW!!!

http://vindictus.nexon.net/?launchGame=true&serverLocation=East

Its pretty fun, especially for a free game.

Screw that new online Final Fantasy game this is way better.

I don't think they really do get much easier these days. Games back then were just full of bugs or straight up annoyances that don't provide challenge, just frustration. Games can still be difficult. (example Modern Warfare/2 on the hardest difficulty. Pop your head out of cover for more than 5 seconds and I guarantee you're dead)

when a game goes from side-scrolling to 3d it seems a lot simpler.. couldn't tell you why though. i was just playing some old castlevania the other day and was noticing how ingenious a lot of the board design had to be just to keep it interesting. like, have one obstacle followed by another, then change them around in to every combination possible. it's the same with 3d games except they have to put more effort in to guiding your where you have to go. i can't imagine the amount of variables and possible scenarios in programming an open world or sandbox type of game.

True, some things that worked in 2D can't be imported into 3D. I remember the first Crash Bandicoot, sometimes the 3D-jumping sections were frustrating as hell as you'd jump right into a pit just due to the perspective and controls. So I guess it's kind of difficult to have a 3D jump n run game in which the player moves as fluently as in a 2D one without adding some extra help, like a double-jump in mid air or guiding the character onto a ledge when he's jumping close to it. And then it feels easier cause you rarely miss. But I still think games are being made easier these days. At least a lot of them. There's enough explosions and sound design going on to make it feel intense and action-y, so we don't feel cheated when we play it and it doesn't actually require that much skill. These days it's normal for most people to buy a game and play through it right away (or like in my case, play it slowly so it lasts longer, cause they know they're gonna finish it at some point) - back then it was more like "wow you played through this and that game all the way? you beat the last boss? you must have mad skills" I don't think that was due to the games being buggy. Maybe it was due to arcade machines stealing more money from the kids, but it made you feel like you accomplished something when you finished a game after three years. Not that I did finish many games, I mostly sucked at them.

Archived