IGNORED

What video games are you currently playing?

Rubin Farr

i do like l4d... it's a great game... never really find gr8 people to play with on public servers though. i like playing it splitscreen with a pal, that kind of mitigates against any random arseholes who join.

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest AcrossCanyons

Tales of Vesperia

Lost Odyssey

Infinite Undiscovery

Star Ocean 4

The Last Remnant

Jap-style RPGs are the worst, dude. play mass effect. no swords or goblins in sight - but no stupid hair either.

Are you telling me western rpgs are better?.. :huh:

I hate typical japanese rpg characters (final fantasy characters are the worst usually) but these games have some cool dudes. (all of the characters in ToV are great - best rpg cast in a single game for sure). Infinite Undiscovery and Star Ocean both suffer lame voice acting and awkward characters, but are overall fun experiences and have some cool characters.

I don't like Star Wars-esque space, either, so that puts me off Mass Effect. I'm constantly picking it off shelves, looking at the case and putting it back. All the lame aliens and shit turn me off. Might pick it up if I catch it for cheap.

Tales of Vesperia

Lost Odyssey

Infinite Undiscovery

Star Ocean 4

The Last Remnant

Jap-style RPGs are the worst, dude. play mass effect. no swords or goblins in sight - but no stupid hair either.

Are you telling me western rpgs are better?.. :huh:

I hate typical japanese rpg characters (final fantasy characters are the worst usually) but these games have some cool dudes. (all of the characters in ToV are great - best rpg cast in a single game for sure). Infinite Undiscovery and Star Ocean both suffer lame voice acting and awkward characters, but are overall fun experiences and have some cool characters.

I don't like Star Wars-esque space, either, so that puts me off Mass Effect. I'm constantly picking it off shelves, looking at the case and putting it back. All the lame aliens and shit turn me off. Might pick it up if I catch it for cheap.

yes, i greatly prefer western-style rpgs. they generally give you more control over character creation, more varied solutions to quests, branching plots, and that sort of thing. as far as i'm concerned fallout 1+2, the baldur's gate series and planescape: torment are the pinnacles of the genre.

i hate star wars and that type of setting in general, but mass effect is a great game. it's somewhat more restrictive than the great western rpgs of the 90s, with more of a focus on action, but it's highly polished and cinematic whilst still giving you a lot of freedom to persue your own path and play the way you want to play. also, the scripting and voice acting are top-notch. i was sceptical before i played it, but i was very pleasantly surprised. you can get it second-hand for peanuts, it's definitely worth trying out.

japanese rpg's are all about androgynous ladyboys with enormous hair dues / swords and female characters with squeeky voices who are always crying about something, are in need of rescue from something or someone (tentacle monster, super generic villian), or are just a sad excuse for some random panty shots. every single one of these games always have the same set of characters, like the old wise general/authority figure with the deep growly voice, the nerdy but reliable guy, the cool rebellious dude with spikey hair, the silly little girl, the older responsible woman. fffuuckk i hate fucking jap rpgs (and cutesy anime based bullshit in general).

i don't care if one or two of them aren't like this at all, they're all exactly like this!

japan needs more katsuhiro otomos.

Guest AcrossCanyons

japanese rpg's are all about androgynous ladyboys with enormous hair dues / swords and female characters with squeeky voices who are always crying about something, are in need of rescue from something or someone (tentacle monster, super generic villian), or are just a sad excuse for some random panty shots. every single one of these games always have the same set of characters, like the old wise general/authority figure with the deep growly voice, the nerdy but reliable guy, the cool rebellious dude with spikey hair, the silly little girl, the older responsible woman. fffuuckk i hate fucking jap rpgs (and cutesy anime based bullshit in general).

i don't care if one or two of them aren't like this at all, they're all exactly like this!

japan needs more katsuhiro otomos.

wat...

I agree tho, many are a bit rubbish, that's why I ask for recommendations. RPGs are my favourite game type. Very few other game are as expansive or well developed (story and character wise), but great ones are few and far between.

Guest Ultravisitor

On the topic of Japanese RPG's:

Demon's Souls = The most unforgiving Japanese RPG that I've ever played

Nearing the hardest game i've ever played....

Maybe I'm getting rusty, but fuck me it's relentless.

This with a side helping of Red Dead Redemption is doing me well.

i heard about demon's souls and was kind of curious about it, but i'm not a ps3'sman so i can't play it. isn't the combat-real time rather than the typical JRPG turn-based bullshit though? ie, it's an action game with stats?

Guest Adjective

i've been playing Legend of the Red Dragon for the first time with a few friends on a BBS, strangely fun.

and little big planet for PSP has been my pooping companion lately, sometimes i just sit there all agape, and jumping to grab and swing on things in-game creates a strange fractal pooping experience

About to play through Borderlands again, and the Zombie Island expansion as I never actually did that one. Hated General Knox though. Anyone know if the Claptrap one is any good?

Guest disparaissant

still on dragon age, still enjoying it. a bit buggy now (after battles end i have to wait upwards of 2 minutes to loot) but im far enough in that it's not going to stop me from playing. just hoping

i can put alistair on the throne since he's ~~my BOYFRIEND~~ and that would make me QUEEN OF FERELDEN and how cool would that be?

make sure to insist being his queen when the time comes. you'll know what i mean when you reach the landsmeet :|

edit: bioware games are the equivalent of cheesy romamce novels but for nerdy women. and i'm ok with that.

ohhh i did. unfortunately i forgot to save right before defeating the archdemon and i fucked up the dialog and

my dear sweet alistair sacrificed himself

so that was sad.

but whatever. playing awakenings now.

and yeah that's pretty spot on, and i'm okay with it too.

Guest disparaissant

you should have got morrigan to sex him so the archdemon soul would go into the baby

i have a save right there, i might do that later just to see.

one of my flatmates is playing through it too, and just being as massive a douchebag as he can be. wiped out the circle, brought the golems back, helped the werewolves kill all the elves, etc. he's at the landsmeet now and is going to kill alistair and finish the game with loghain in his party. should be interesting.

also i wanna play as an elf because every dialog seems to have a race card option, "you're just saying that because i'm an elf!"

Guest Ultravisitor

i heard about demon's souls and was kind of curious about it, but i'm not a ps3'sman so i can't play it. isn't the combat-real time rather than the typical JRPG turn-based bullshit though? ie, it's an action game with stats?

That's the one.

Yeah, i had to bite the bullet and fork out for a playstation 3 but i'm thoroughly enjoying Demon's Souls. I've spent about 5 hours on it and I've only completed 1 level.

and i mean, i have completed mass effect 1, fallout 3, etc. and thought myself as generally an action game kinda guy on top of that but fuck me, this is so hard! i'm having to grind to complete the second bloody level.

....awesome

There are plenty of aspects of it that keep me wanting to go back i.e. revenge for a piece of dog pooh, arseholery of a demon that killed me leaving a bloodstain containing all the souls i collected up to that point in the level (souls being the currency for everything in the game) but since dying having to do the level in soul form which limits me to half health. It really punishes the player for mistakes.......bastard

This is a good Japanese RPG. No silly hair or whiny voices just brutal gore.

Guest viscosity

Metal Slug 1-5. it's a good thing i have unlimited credits in mame..

played a bit of Deathspank. gameplay seems typical but offbeat humour makes it worthwhile

thinking about playing through FF7. I've had it for a while but I need to get it working with Windows 7; having audio dropouts for some reason

I just picked this up and going to try it after I muscle through 3D Dot Game Heroes.

If you played a game called Kings Field on PS1 (or any of the sequels), you'll have a good idea of how Demon's Souls is - it's made by From Software, which are the most creative and unique software developer out of Japan, I think. Their games are not always the best visually or story-wise, but they make up for it in interesting gameplay and game ideas.

started playing silent hill homecoming, because I have a soft spot for the franchise. Absolute shite.

started playing silent hill homecoming, because I have a soft spot for the franchise. Absolute shite.

YES.

the fighting system was so fucking frustrating that I stopped playing it before I even met the first boss.

and this is from a game whose combat elements were ALREADY frustrating as shit, that's saying something.

playing Bioshock 2 again...now that i know to camp out after getting the camera and loading up on lvl 4 research tonics...Hard mode is going to be a hell of a lot easier...love this game

Guest futuregirlfriend

I've been playing Super Meat Boy. Just the right amount of frustration.

Actually, I've just been alt+f4ing out of the game on the first boss level for the last two days.

Archived