IGNORED

What video games are you currently playing?

Rubin Farr

Just got GT5 over the weekend. And already I have a better car than the Space Wagon, so happy about that. It seems like a fairly decent game. Very like Prologue with graphics computer AI etc etc.

Can't work out how to turn damage on though????? Does anyone know about that?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ox70Ho9_jX4

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just got GT5 over the weekend. And already I have a better car than the Space Wagon, so happy about that. It seems like a fairly decent game. Very like Prologue with graphics computer AI etc etc.

You see those tiny little dents in your GT5 car? That's the damage. Seriously, the damage modeling is poor... bordering on unnoticeable.

I was actually kind of excited to see GT5 in real life after reading various and very different reviews ranging from 70-100%. I don't own a PS3 and I'm not interested in the GT franchise at all but I wanted to try the game so I could say, 'yeah, I've played it' and not just smother it without knowing anything about it, but I can honestly say that if I hadn't known about the GT franchise and if I hadn't followed its development over the last couple of months I wouldn't have guessed that I was playing a game that everyone had been hyping for the last couple of years. It feels extremely outdated, the UI looks like something from a 90s arcade machine (seriously, there's no denying that it's extremely cluttered), the game has some serious anti-aliasing problems, the music is straight up horrible and sounds like something you would hear in an elevator, only 1/5 of the cars (or the so-called premium cars) have textures worth looking at, and now, thanks to spratters, I know why the opponents were so reckless... (for those of you who haven't watched the video: bad AI). Then there's the pop-up problems,

The driving in itself was great. No doubt it. It felt great, it felt real, and the levels were pretty impressive (they especially look great when you're driving at night) even though they're extremely static. The walls are unbreakable and the matchstick thin fences don't even budge when you slam into them with 200 mph.

I can't help but wonder what on earth Polyphony Digital have been wasting their time on for the last 5-6 years? To be honest it feels like an unfinished game.

i have a month long rental pass at blockbuster and i'm spending it all on fallout: new vegas. fuck yeah :cool:

it's a lot better than fallout 3. however, i don't get why bullets have weight in hardcore mode but stuff like stimpacks doesn't. that's pretty much the extent of my criticism though, everything else is peachy.

i heard about demon's souls and was kind of curious about it, but i'm not a ps3'sman so i can't play it. isn't the combat-real time rather than the typical JRPG turn-based bullshit though? ie, it's an action game with stats?

I just picked this up and going to try it after I muscle through 3D Dot Game Heroes.

If you played a game called Kings Field on PS1 (or any of the sequels), you'll have a good idea of how Demon's Souls is - it's made by From Software, which are the most creative and unique software developer out of Japan, I think. Their games are not always the best visually or story-wise, but they make up for it in interesting gameplay and game ideas.

Its an action game with stats, but it doesn't hold your hand at all. You can walk off any ledge, you can completely demolish your spec if you don't know what you are doing, you can lose all your xp you gain if you die on the way home from a boss.

That said I basically became an adrenaline junkie cuz of this game for a couple weeks. I couldn't sleep.

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

Finally started really playing Mass Effect 2. Such a good game but I haven't fucked an alien yet... :\

first footage of the Playstation phone. Joyrex, start drooling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6cxaVRs60w

Meh, a poorly-thought out concept akin to the PSP Go - It won't succeed. iPhone has the multi-use device market (and, according to some pundits) and handheld market tied up.

In the old games; wasn't damage unlocked after a complete season or something?

The GT series didn't have damage modeling until this version (and in some people's opinions, still doesn't)

You see those tiny little dents in your GT5 car? That's the damage. Seriously, the damage modeling is poor... bordering on unnoticeable.

I was actually kind of excited to see GT5 in real life after reading various and very different reviews ranging from 70-100%. I don't own a PS3 and I'm not interested in the GT franchise at all but I wanted to try the game so I could say, 'yeah, I've played it' and not just smother it without knowing anything about it, but I can honestly say that if I hadn't known about the GT franchise and if I hadn't followed its development over the last couple of months I wouldn't have guessed that I was playing a game that everyone had been hyping for the last couple of years. It feels extremely outdated, the UI looks like something from a 90s arcade machine (seriously, there's no denying that it's extremely cluttered), the game has some serious anti-aliasing problems, the music is straight up horrible and sounds like something you would hear in an elevator, only 1/5 of the cars (or the so-called premium cars) have textures worth looking at, and now, thanks to spratters, I know why the opponents were so reckless... (for those of you who haven't watched the video: bad AI). Then there's the pop-up problems,

The driving in itself was great. No doubt it. It felt great, it felt real, and the levels were pretty impressive (they especially look great when you're driving at night) even though they're extremely static. The walls are unbreakable and the matchstick thin fences don't even budge when you slam into them with 200 mph.

I can't help but wonder what on earth Polyphony Digital have been wasting their time on for the last 5-6 years? To be honest it feels like an unfinished game.

Anti-aliasing problems? Did you play it on a 1080P display? Not doubting what you saw, but it might be due to playing at 720p or something...

Polyphony Digital have been hard at work on this game - the producer has been busy winning F1 races :emotawesomepm9:

Been playing a lot of GT5, keep buying really ugly little cars and spending endless money on upgrading them.

Good times.

Been playing a lot of GT5, keep buying really ugly little cars and spending endless money on upgrading them.

Good times.

So what do you think of the game? Did you see/experience the anti-aliasing issues mentioned? (aka the "jaggies")

There's every possibility they were there, but I've been too busy trying to powerslide one of the following around corners to notice anything like that.

HondaLifeStepvan.JPG

I'm really enjoying it so far but I just like racing games, and don't give a shit about graphics.

is that supposed to be gt5?

apparently the graphics are really inconsistent

some of the cars look like they came straight from the play station 2

environments are flat and trees are 2D cutout type things, even close up.. same with the crowds.

heres a review for anyone thinking about buying it

http://www.giantbomb.com/gran-turismo-5/61-21790/reviews/

Yes the graphics are inconsistent. There are premium cars which are detailed and have interiors and there PS2 imported used cars which you'll drive a lot. Those standard cars have low polycounts and even worse texture resolution. But it doesn't really matter, racing is easiest in bumper or interior view. Lightning is great, texture filtering and antialliasing not so much and I think there is some upscaling even when you play at 1080p. But framerates are great and that makes it really stand out.

Lovely game.

About the car damage in GT5:

Car damage, a feature that has confused many of the game's owners since Gran Turismo 5's release a couple of weeks ago, has just gotten a lot less confusing, courtesy of a 149mb update released overnight.

Once you've downloaded the update, car destruction options can be accessed from the game's main menu, users able to select from three varying degrees of damage.

So what's the catch? Oh, there's a catch. You can only access these options from your "lounge", not as part of the epic singleplayer "campaign" or the more immediate "arcade" mode. So many of you won't be noticing it in the game mode you spend the most time in!

Source: Kotaku

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

Whats that pic supposed to be joking about? It's suggesting that the physics in Gran Turismo are getting floatier every year or what? (haven't played much of the GTs at all)

Whats that pic supposed to be joking about? It's suggesting that the physics in Gran Turismo are getting floatier every year or what? (haven't played much of the GTs at all)

That it's taken 6 years for GT5.

If you want cool crashes go play Dirt or something.

I've been playing a lot of PC games recently. Starcraft 2 (meh), Dragon Age (I think it's fantastic), FM 2011 (buggy!), Metro 2033 (amazing graphics/atmosphere) and Left 4 Dead 2 (fun!)

Also, I'm never buying a game with the label "Games for Windows - Live" again. I bought Batman: Arkham Asylum with this label and it had me restart the game over 5 times to do updates on its live platform. The game said I couldn't save if I wasn't signed in to live. It would have been less hassle for me to download the thing. :facepalm: There's a GOTY edition on Steam, should have bought that instead. Steam :wub:

In other news, the Humble Indie Bundle is now available on Steam and there seems to be a new bundle on the way!

Archived