IGNORED

What video games are you currently playing?

Rubin Farr

Guest disparaissant

jesus, no shader 2.0. and i thought i was enduring a hardship when i couldn't play bioshock with my old no-shader-3.0 gfx card. doom sounds good, you should also check out the quake hack that gives you nice hi-res textures.

yesss quake it is.

as for shader 3.0... i could play bioshock on my 6800, that was only shader 2.0. that died and now i'm stuck with an x850 because i'd rather save for a new computer than keep upgrading this shit pile. but even that's stagnated because fuck it all i do anymore is music and i play everything on ps3 now anyways.

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

finally went back and played through metal gear solid 4, after buying it like 2 years ago.

things start a little slow, but it grows into the most amazing gaming experience ever. by the end, the story is so impossibly epic, it really stands up to, and perhaps exceeds, some of the best films and anime.

there are so many moments of pure genius. i don't think storyline and gameplay have ever been merged so well.

jesus, no shader 2.0. and i thought i was enduring a hardship when i couldn't play bioshock with my old no-shader-3.0 gfx card. doom sounds good, you should also check out the quake hack that gives you nice hi-res textures.

yesss quake it is.

as for shader 3.0... i could play bioshock on my 6800, that was only shader 2.0. that died and now i'm stuck with an x850 because i'd rather save for a new computer than keep upgrading this shit pile. but even that's stagnated because fuck it all i do anymore is music and i play everything on ps3 now anyways.

maybe it was shader 1.0... it was one of those sucky integrated ATI chipsets - not quite as bad as an intel one, and i literally bought the computer with the sole intent of playing portal and HL2. now i have this

XFX_Radeon_HD5770_Front_34_01.jpg

by no means top of the range but i fucking adore it.

Guest disparaissant

hahaha i built mine for doom 3 and have had my priorities shift since then. hard to believe it's still running 7 years later.

finally went back and played through metal gear solid 4, after buying it like 2 years ago.

things start a little slow, but it grows into the most amazing gaming experience ever. by the end, the story is so impossibly epic, it really stands up to, and perhaps exceeds, some of the best films and anime.

there are so many moments of pure genius. i don't think storyline and gameplay have ever been merged so well.

I agree and on second play through I think you will begin to enjoy the beginning. I have a blast with the molotovs in the first level. Once you understand the game, it become a huge open playground. Not to mention you get all your goodies back after your first run in with rex.

I agree and on second play through I think you will begin to enjoy the beginning. I have a blast with the molotovs in the first level. Once you understand the game, it become a huge open playground. Not to mention you get all your goodies back after your first run in with rex.

The tornado gun is hard to get, but neat to use... (around 1:03)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBT7g4O1zJQ

WX45j.jpg

'Dumbing it down' is the gamer's new thing. It's the new itch in the world of gaming. A couple of years ago people bitched about casual gaming and now it's all about game developers 'dumbing it down', and it is ridiculous is what it is. People cursed at BioWare for 'dumbing down' Mass Effect 2 but in reality all they did was making the game better. Mass Effect was never about finding a new special weapon and/or armor. It was all about the story and the side missions whereas games like Diablo or Fallout are much more focused on the RPG elements because of their huge environments which means that the gamers can spend hours in the Wasteland or dungeons searching for special swords, spells, guns, and so on. Mass Effect doesn't have these huge environments where you can run around for hours collecting stuff so therefore there is absolutely no use for the micro managing part of that game. The same goes for Dragon Age.

Also, don't forget that gamers are binary in their ways of acting. It's either 'omfg, I wuv this!!! Fuck the competitors! I'm a fucking martyr!!" or "Fuck this! This fucking sucks. I will fuck yuo up the ass for making me play your stoopid game'. There's no, 'well, this is alright, but it would be a lot better if...' which might explain the user scores.

Mass Effect doesn't have these huge environments where you can run around for hours collecting stuff so therefore there is absolutely no use for the micro managing part of that game. The same goes for Dragon Age.

I disagree.

Dragon Age: Origins is in many ways like the great old-style RPG's Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights. It has broad skill-trees, it has inventory management, it requires you to re-evaluate and adapt your tactics... Mass Effect is an action-game with a focus on storyline and dialogue. You go into cover, you wait till your health/shield meter rises and you spam with guns and biotics. I think it's mind numbing gameplay, but to each his own.

But I like the other type of RPG's Bioware used to make. And now Dragon Age 2 is another move to please the console crowd. Which ultimately, makes the game less challenging and plain boring for people that want a bit of challenge. So I can see why people are so upset, it would be sad to never see another BG/NN/DA1-type game from Bioware.

This is also the reason the lead game designer of the Dragon Age/Neverwinter Nights team quit:

Discussion on Dragon Age 2 began around this time and looking ahead I knew that I wasn’t going to be satisfied with what Dragon Age 2 would be. Party control/tactical combat are huge factors in my enjoyment of a role-playing game as is adopting the role of the hero (i.e., customizing my character). I was fairly certain Dragon Age would transition towards more of a Mass Effect experience, which while enjoyable is not the type of role-playing game I play. Could I be the lead designer on such a title? Certainly… though if I were going to work on a game adopting a set-in-stone protagonist I’d rather work on something lighter, like a shooter.
http://blog.brentknowles.com/2010/08/15/bioware-brent-year-10-fall-2008-summer-2009/

man im about 3 hours into GoW II, and its already a fantastic and massive improvement over the first....the environments are beautiful, and the addition of flight combat didnt seem overly forced....though i did think it was weird how they conveniently rehashed a ton of powers and just replaced Gods with Titans....but thats a very, very minor criticism.....the intro battle with the Colossus of Rhodes was one of the best boss experiences of all time for me.

btw i know im unforgivably late to this franchise, but it really is some of the most fun ive had with a game in a while, and it has those mind-numbingly frustrating areas or parts reminiscent of oldskool console days...im gonna have to order GoW III now...

also, it has to be made by the creators of Devil May Cry....so many similarities...or am i noting the blatantly obvious?

the first Devil May Cry was one of my favorite PS2 games....shame i didnt know about this franchise at the time...

WX45j.jpg

'Dumbing it down' is the gamer's new thing. It's the new itch in the world of gaming. A couple of years ago people bitched about casual gaming and now it's all about game developers 'dumbing it down', and it is ridiculous is what it is. People cursed at BioWare for 'dumbing down' Mass Effect 2 but in reality all they did was making the game better. Mass Effect was never about finding a new special weapon and/or armor. It was all about the story and the side missions whereas games like Diablo or Fallout are much more focused on the RPG elements because of their huge environments which means that the gamers can spend hours in the Wasteland or dungeons searching for special swords, spells, guns, and so on. Mass Effect doesn't have these huge environments where you can run around for hours collecting stuff so therefore there is absolutely no use for the micro managing part of that game. The same goes for Dragon Age.

Also, don't forget that gamers are binary in their ways of acting. It's either 'omfg, I wuv this!!! Fuck the competitors! I'm a fucking martyr!!" or "Fuck this! This fucking sucks. I will fuck yuo up the ass for making me play your stoopid game'. There's no, 'well, this is alright, but it would be a lot better if...' which might explain the user scores.

lol that picture is wrong in every way .. clearly a poor trolling attempt

man im about 3 hours into GoW II, and its already a fantastic and massive improvement over the first....the environments are beautiful, and the addition of flight combat didnt seem overly forced....though i did think it was weird how they conveniently rehashed a ton of powers and just replaced Gods with Titans....but thats a very, very minor criticism.....the intro battle with the Colossus of Rhodes was one of the best boss experiences of all time for me.

btw i know im unforgivably late to this franchise, but it really is some of the most fun ive had with a game in a while, and it has those mind-numbingly frustrating areas or parts reminiscent of oldskool console days...im gonna have to order GoW III now...

also, it has to be made by the creators of Devil May Cry....so many similarities...or am i noting the blatantly obvious?

the first Devil May Cry was one of my favorite PS2 games....shame i didnt know about this franchise at the time...

Glad you're having fun with it. GoW is a brilliant series of games that everyone needs to play.

And no, Devil May Cry is made by a different company, but I can understand where you're coming from.

Guest Fishtank

Dragon Age II. Put a few hours in but I don't feel like ever loading it up again.

I tried the demo and I thought it was shit

Beat Mass Effect 1 and started 2. I like a lot of the changes to the interface, not having to spend hours riding elevators and the removal of the vehicle shit, but I don't like how they changed the skill/weapon system. Seems to have really stripped it down to more of an fps and less of an rpg.

I'm jealous, going to have to pick up the HD pack now because I've never played the second game and the first game I played a long time ago. Still kind of able to understand that certain events took place by playing the 3rd game.

Guest disparaissant

Dragon Age II. Put a few hours in but I don't feel like ever loading it up again.

I tried the demo and I thought it was shit

i wasn't terribly impressed by the demo but i just rented it and played for a bit, it's quite a bit better than i thought it would be so far. definitely a console RPG, though. and i'm a sucker for bioware so take it with a grain of salt.

Guest Iain C

i have little time for video games these days, but lately at the prompting of my housemate i've been dipping into Pac Man Championship Edition DX which is a hugely enjoyable, over-stimulating, eye-melting take on the original. It's fun and very compulsive, and you can dip in and out of it for ten minutes at a time which definitely appeals to me.

he's also trying his hardest to get me hooked on Super Meat Boy. i can definitely see the appeal. it's wonderfully designed - the movement of the player character is pitch-perfect and the level design is devilishly clever. it's certainly the sort of thing i could get hooked on, but after suffering some tendon damage in my right hand, it's kind of painful for me to play for long periods.

I really liked BioShock 2. REALLY liked it. The story might not have been as surprising as it was in the first one, but I love the new tonics (not the plasmids), I love the new strategic elements, the atmosphere, the diaries, and so on.

Archived