IGNORED

What video games are you currently playing?

Rubin Farr

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Gravity

From id themselves.

They were actually supposed to show it at last year's QuakeCon, but it wasn't ready. A lot of people were pretty pissed. :whistling:

where is this coming from?!?!? if thats true i am freakin stoked. i think the original games are scarier than doom 3 to this day , and funner

http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Doom_4

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/entertainment/games/110128-upcoming-games-for-show-play-at-quakecon-2011

Guest Sprigg

Playing through American mcgee's Alice in preparation for the new one, absolutely love it. So weird and dark!

Playing through American mcgee's Alice in preparation for the new one, absolutely love it. So weird and dark!

Pretty much my favorite game ever. Re-playability is unbelievable. I've played it so many times. The diversity of weapons is fantastic. Every stage is so different than the previous. 5/5

So pumped for new one.

So I got my first actual gaming mouse (Keyboard too) by Razer the DeathAdder and I'm not sure if its better to have High DPI (Like 3500) with lower sensitivity or Lower DPI (LIke 1800) with higher sensitivity?

Guest Sprigg

Pretty much my favorite game ever. Re-playability is unbelievable. I've played it so many times. The diversity of weapons is fantastic. Every stage is so different than the previous. 5/5

So pumped for new one.

I've just gotten to the ants (not too far yet), and I fucking love it even though I'm God-awful at fighting for some reason. Definitely gonna give it another play or two, it's fantastic.

Also just finished Bulletstorm in two days. Gameplay was surprisingly fun up until the last hour or so, then it just got extremely monotonous. Played through on Hard and the whole game except one room seemed far too easy, but it was a good, fun mindlessly violent romp. Multiplayer is shit, definitely isn't worth the 60& new. Bought it used from Gamestop and will be returning shortly.

Guest JW Modestburns

I'm currently about 20 hours into Mass Effect 2.

Also playing Marvel vs Capcom 3 and I've been going back to geometry wars 2 recently, which is one of my all time favorite games.

P.S.

my xbox gamer tag is chrigg, I'm sure none of you fools can come close to my geometry wars scores.

btw, does anyone have any particularly fun or interesting "Lets Play" youtube videos? I always wanted to watch a Silent Hill one where idiots weren't playing.

Also, I watch Avgn and Zero Punctuation...any other funny gaming reviewers?

Guest mafted

Massive jazz:

Just finished Doom 3 - I'll rate it 3.5/5

I know I'm 6 years late to this but i typed up a mini review so.... :

Doom 3:

I really actually liked the game in the end. Main gripe being the samey layout (same ol military complex vibe), but it does change about 80% thru the game so I'll give them that. Liked the weapons, the story was good, the voice acting in the pda logs was REALLY good, very convincing. I liked the use of the pda's in general, and the comical martianbuddy.com stuff. I thought the Hell Guardian boss was the hardest, only because I couldn't figure out that you had to hit the light above him, until after like 20 tries. Beyond that, most the bosses were pretty easy, Sarge being 2nd hardest only because he keeps painting you nonstop with bfg shots. Final boss was pretty easy imo, but enjoyable to play, so not *too easy*.

(Rest of the review in spoiler)

I really liked the "Easter egg" pda on the id cube you push right before the last boss. All the hidden stuff throughout the game was quite nice actually. All of the vent shafts, etc. I would always get excited to see a pda, nice way to deliver a lot of the story. I only looked at a walkthrough guide once, and it ended up it was because i had missed someone's pda that was preventing me from unlocking something. Other than that, it was usually pretty straightforward as to where to go next. Not too much back tracking, which is good. The scare tactics never really wear off and I was still screaming at monsters popping out towards the end.

Hell was "quite good", I liked that you had max stamina all the time. The layout in general was epic. I also really liked the ruins at the final part of the game, really cool. I liked the background story of the discovered tablets too. Ending was a bit of a let down, but game endings pretty much always are. I guess there's going to be a follow up, probably on earth by the way things were leading, and Betruger is still alive. Basically, all of the maps/scenery from Hell onwards I really enjoyed. The excavation shafts had a lot of ladders and fun places, and were a welcome change up.

Good (but scary) times. Fav. weapon was a tie between shotgun and plasma gun. If the plasma gun held a lil more ammo per cell, that woulda been nice. Otherwise, shotgun was useful up until the very last levels, made it very enjoyable. I never found a lot of use for the rocket launcher beyond hitting enemies that were really far away. . BFG was awesome but limited use. Pistol was really good for killing spiders, and those winged demon babies from a distance. Machine gun was good for a while after you get it, but becomes pretty useless, not enough damage. Gatling gun was good for stronger enemies but it was hard to see where I was aiming. Grenades were grenades and useful.

always loved id and pretty much everything they make. they create some really entertaining atmospheres. whatever they do is always in the same badass vein.. like an attitude or something. Carmack's Quake 1 engine is a thing of genius. most ppl don't realize Half Life 1 uses it.

Guest Gravity

Has anyone picked up a 3DS? Picked mine up in Cosmos Black yesterday. The 3D is pretty amazing... it gets better as your eyes get used to it.

So far I have Super Street Fighter IV. I was going to pick up Pilotwings as I have tons of nostalgia about the N64 game, but I wasn't sure if it would be worth the $40. Can't wait to see what crazy stuff developers come up with.

Just finally forced myself to finish Deus Ex tonight.

I still firmly assert that Invisible War is superior in every way except map size. Story, level design, control, voice acting (especially), graphics, multi-path solutions, branching story paths. All of that's better in the second game. I can see how some people are upset that they scrapped the skill system, but I found that by eliminating dice rolls and having the way you actually control the character do the decision-making a welcome change.

I feel like I have the opposite viewpoint of the rest of the civilized world because I played the games in the opposite order. I have no nostalgia for the first game whatsoever. While it does have some interesting ideas in the plot, and some really excellent music, it's far too maze-like in its level design and drags on wayyyy too long for several catacomb/sewer/tunnel/subway exploring parts of the game. Excellent level design is shows through in parts like the Vandenburg base towards the end, but unfortunately the majority of the game is spent crawling through air ducts and sewer tunnels hoping that when you find a vent on the other end you'll be deposited near your objective.

I feel the second game elaborated well on all the gameplay ideas, and had a much more thought-provoking story that explored relevant ideas in our economic crisis/nearing a technological singularity world...as opposed to the first game's "Oh no there's a conspiracy of bad dudes to acquire power. You must stop them."

I can see how, when this game debuted, it was a mindblowing, revolutionary gaming experience. So much that people fondly regard it a decade later. However, going back and playing it in 2011 just for the sake of having that notch in my gaming belt, I felt, at times, like the angry video game nerd playing some long-forgotten Nintendo cartridge and shouting "this is bullshit" at what was just standard game design of the time.

tl;dr -- It was a great game for the time, but imo Invisible War is still the better game.

I think people who dismiss Invisible War outright are throwing the baby out with the bathwater; from what I remember it had some memorable characters and ideas, as you say.

However I also remember it being a massive, massive disappointment. In fact, I don't remember ever being more disappointed in a sequel. So...yeah I think it's pretty much you vs the world on this one.

And singling out Brandenberg as having better design than the levels preceding it? I thought Brandeberg was good, but I liked other levels more. I thought the whole Hong Kong sequence was better than anything in IW. The only levels that disappointed me in the first one were Paris and the underwater lab. It felt like they rushed through building the latter half of the game imo.

All that said I would like to revisit IW at some point. I'm sure my opinion on Deus Ex 1 won't change, but I might look more kindly on IW in hindsight. The tech was just so, so bad though. Walk 10 paces -> loading zone. Walk another 10 paces -> loading zone. They fixed a lot of these issues by the time Thief 3 came out, but DE:IW was just...gaahhhhh.

Yeah the loading in IW is a bitch, and it's still present on a computer made 5 years after the game, unfortunately. The code for the engine itself is very poorly optimized...obviously a port of the Xbox version.

Hong Kong was a very cool sequence, I had fun climbing way up in the buildings and leaping down onto billboards to collect goodies. I also reloaded my save game and found 4 or 5 different cool ways to tackle acquiring the nanosword. My favorite was sniping Chow from the roof, waiting for the MJ12 guards to all bunch up at the secret door (lol shitty AI), then killing 8 people with one LAM, grabbing the sword, and leaping to saftey out of Chow's window into Jock's apartment across the street.

The limitations of the map size in IW unfortunately made stuff like this very rare. Could have been the low memory on the Xbox, but I think it was just poor optomization, especially when you consider the loading-screen free, hour-long sprawls you tread through in Halo. Granted, Deus Ex 1 also looks like Quake 2/Half Life 1 so there's probably a lot less stored in memory.

I also think you're right about the latter half of the game. Pretty much from Paris on it seems like a linear corridor crawl, with the exception of the Templar cathedral and X-51 base. Even in the cathedral though, I was already starting to get very sick of winding stairways and hallways.

Yeah the loading in IW is a bitch, and it's still present on a computer made 5 years after the game, unfortunately. The code for the engine itself is very poorly optimized...obviously a port of the Xbox version.

Hong Kong was a very cool sequence, I had fun climbing way up in the buildings and leaping down onto billboards to collect goodies. I also reloaded my save game and found 4 or 5 different cool ways to tackle acquiring the nanosword. My favorite was sniping Chow from the roof, waiting for the MJ12 guards to all bunch up at the secret door (lol shitty AI), then killing 8 people with one LAM, grabbing the sword, and leaping to saftey out of Chow's window into Jock's apartment across the street.

Yeah, I also include in "Hong Kong" the part inside the high-tech research facility (forget the name of it). I love the fight in the basement where you can unleash the Grays on the hapless scientists and G-men guards. So many fun ways to approach conflict in that game.

I also think you're right about the latter half of the game. Pretty much from Paris on it seems like a linear corridor crawl, with the exception of the Templar cathedral and X-51 base. Even in the cathedral though, I was already starting to get very sick of winding stairways and hallways.

agreed, the highlight for the latter part of the game for me is actually the short sequence in Illuminati dude's apartment, where you can find the AI computer, the guy who is kept on life support, and the bomb in Jock's helicopter. That whole succinct little episode is a perfect case study of how to do more with less. I loved the human drama and the metaphysical angle, too. Keeping in mind the game was pre 9-11 and just on the cusp of the Matrix, it was pretty forward-thinking.

Brought Crysis 2 yesterday.

Only played it for like 20 before i crashed. Then i turned it on again, played some multiplayer for like a half hour, and it crashed again :facepalm:

Edit: for the X360 btw.

Archived