IGNORED

YLC Mix Sets

Siegecow

Arguably YLC could use a lot more love, theres really some great talent in there and its a shame that this forum doesnt have more listeners/contributors.

So here is a thread for submitting your own mixes derived from YLC tracks

I'll start us off with a mix i made for the launch of this thread. Not the best mixing ive ever done, but its just something to get us started. I'll try to release a mix every week. So if you're not on this one, keep submitting. And if you have any reccomendations, let me know!

Sweatpants Boner Suite I

(One man's shame is another man's pride)

1 Blicero - Untitled 2

2 Ryan - Never Clever

3 Blicero - Untitled 6

4 Jaffa - Omnicronic Disorder Redone

5 Jaffa - Detroity

6 Ryan - Cadbury

7 Erothyme - Hydaloiod Echoes

8 Jaffa - Vladd

9 Jaffa - Oldskool Riffer

10 Erothyme - Meet Me In The Middle

11 Autopilot - Again

12 Jorgen Indal - Attentive

13 Synchronoise (aka Gareth) - Fonk Wave

14 Beneboi - Drum n Space

Good fucking idea, man. I usually include some good EKT tracks that I have on my hard drive in my mixes if they fit in well, but an all-EKT one is a neat concept. I've actually been working on a mix all day that I'mma post in a bit, but I'll definitely give this a shot in a few days when my creative hydraulic fuel has replenished.

I haven't listened to much of ylc in the past month, so this should give me a taste of what i've missed. thanks

if i could find some software that i could actually use for mixing purposes, i would definitely do a mix or two. I've tried ableton and traktor and just end up bored and frustrated with them. any suggestions? i have a mac.

if i could find some software that i could actually use for mixing purposes, i would definitely do a mix or two. I've tried ableton and traktor and just end up bored and frustrated with them. any suggestions? i have a mac.

i dont understand.... i mean, i can understand you being bored and frustrated with ableton, but for the purpose of straight up traditional vinyl mixing emulation software ,you can't go far wrong with traktor....

i don't really get the point of mixing in ableton where you map out your set in the sequencer view. whats that all about ... that's not mixing. in fact ableton can absolutely fuck off both as a production tool and as a dj mixer.

the only thing its good for (and it is good in this sense) is on the fly mixing of loops and bars and bits of your own individual tracks. ie: performing your tracks live with all the individual parts. surely that is all Live is for... but i still see people mixing whole mp3 tracks in there... its so counter intuitive.... there's no individual pitch for the seperate channels is there? whats sort of program do you have to sit down and "warp" all your tracks so they're prebeatmatched. it is to djing what dbGlitch is to editing. in fact thats a bit harsh on dbglitch.

sorry for going on and on but ableton can fuck right off

yeah, i do prefer traktor to ableton coz i really like traditional hands on mixing with records (this is what i find frustrating about laptop mixing - you can't make tiny adjustments in real time to keep the tempos matched like you can with vinyl).... anyway, i still find traktor has real trouble accurately mapping out the tempo and beat map of anything that isn't straight up 4/4 - try and match a track with a more complex beat structure and traktor thinks it's 300bpm or something stupid, because it has detected more kicks and snares than a straight up house tune. am i doing something wrong?

yeah, i do prefer traktor to ableton coz i really like traditional hands on mixing with records (this is what i find frustrating about laptop mixing - you can't make tiny adjustments in real time to keep the tempos matched like you can with vinyl).... anyway, i still find traktor has real trouble accurately mapping out the tempo and beat map of anything that isn't straight up 4/4 - try and match a track with a more complex beat structure and traktor thinks it's 300bpm or something stupid, because it has detected more kicks and snares than a straight up house tune. am i doing something wrong?

there is a kind of tempo tap function if you right click ( i think ) on the bpm readout (at least there is on traktor 2) also the nudge forward/back buttons generally emulate the tiny adjustments. the longer you hold down the button the faster the speed up slow down gets, so a tiny click will give you a tiny nudge. you need to use a few keyboard shortcuts to really get the most out of it..... also i find traktor 2 a lot more user friendly than traktor 3 which has more features and better syncing options, whereas Traktor 2 is a bit closer to vinyl mixing i reckon

Mixing in ableton was really sort of backwards when i first started it, but it actually is pretty powerful if you know what youre doing. Pretty much you have to two or more audio tracks to launch "clips" from, these clips are songs which you just drag and drop into the audio track. If you want a more traditional DJ setup, you dont use the warp feature at all and just pitch bend the song up or down with the transpose/finetune setting of the clip as its playing (perhaps use a keyboard pitchbend wheel for midi), and set the clip start position like you would a cue marker. Just hit record, launch your first song and you're rolling.

Otherwise you can use the auto-warp to manually/automatically set and adjust the bpm and link it to the project tempo, this is a bit finicky sometimes, but mostly works quite well

I never really liked traktor when i tried it out, mostly because of its library and lack of drag-drop from a program like itunes/foobar but maybe theyve fixed that by now.

xbk74h.jpg

BCM

the tempo displays in the red circles.... ive never really figured out exactly wht gives here but you seem to be able to tap the tempo in on here with a left click (not right as i said)

the buttons in green are pretty decent for tiny nudges to speed up or slow down, like i say, the longer you hold em down the more the speedup/slowdown increases... as you let go it reverts back to whatever speed theyre playing at

i thoink the default hot keys are C/M : nudge up/down V/N: channel pitch up down B: sync

if it starts telling you some jungle tune is 300 or 80 bpm or something... skip arouns abit in the wav overview (scrawled on in yellow) and let it play here and there . this often gives it a chance to come up with a more sensible bpm ...

Mixing in ableton was really sort of backwards when i first started it, but it actually is pretty powerful if you know what youre doing. Pretty much you have to two or more audio tracks to launch "clips" from, these clips are songs which you just drag and drop into the audio track. If you want a more traditional DJ setup, you dont use the warp feature at all and just pitch bend the song up or down with the transpose/finetune setting of the clip as its playing (perhaps use a keyboard pitchbend wheel for midi), and set the clip start position like you would a cue marker. Just hit record, launch your first song and you're rolling.

Otherwise you can use the auto-warp to manually/automatically set and adjust the bpm and link it to the project tempo, this is a bit finicky sometimes, but mostly works quite well

I never really liked traktor when i tried it out, mostly because of its library and lack of drag-drop from a program like itunes/foobar but maybe theyve fixed that by now.

youve been able to drag and drop from your music folder onto a channel since traktor 2

also. that transpose thing you mention in Live... i can only seem to get it to adjust pitch in semitones, which is like about a 7bpm jump or something stupid... how do you do a fine pitch adjustment....????

theres a small rectangle below the transpose knob labeled detune which you can use.

you can also delay each audio channel forward or backward by the milisecond.

is there a way of using that in realtime while the track is playing that doesnt make it go all glitchy and skittery

so it just behaves like a pitch control as you would find on a turntable or cd deck or traktor?

cause its just unusable or am i doing something wrong.

actually regardless of that. i hate the way it looks. its simply not designed for djing tracks on. fairplay....its great for live techno sets, but i cant see any other fruitful use for it personally

edit: 1 more thing... i may be being a total div here... but is there any way to start and stop a clip instantly rather than "in sync" which doesn't seem to make any sense if your not using the master bpm

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

that should come from turning off the auto-warp feature, then transpose and detune will just act as a pitch bend.

i tried that.... it doesnt... well it does, kind of, but it isnt smooth in the slightest... you can change it by fine amounts but it messes up the audio and sounds all glitchy and shit

maybe im doing it wrong.... but anyway like i said... the interface is not at all compatible with mixing whole tracks (unless you use it on warp mode with the master pitch) but that takes approxiamately 100% of the fun out of mixing

ah i get it what you're saying

yeah it does jump around quite a lot, nevermind then

actually, if you turn ON warp mode, it bends smoothly then

and yeah , you have to turn off global quantization (ctrl 0)

haha if you're that bent on djing with a vinyl feel just get serato or something.

im not that "bent on it" ... as i said... traktor is just fine... super in fact.

lol that phrase doesn't mean the same thing in the us

haha if you're that bent on djing with a vinyl feel just get serato or something.

im not that "bent on it" ... as i said... traktor is just fine... super in fact.

what phrase?

Guest abusivegeorge

what phrase?

"traktor is just fine"

Archived