IGNORED

Need some good music like Autechre

thehauntingsoul

Guest Glass Plate

No mention of Freeform or Team Doyobi?

I don't think there was mention of Proswell or the rest of Eerik Inpuj Sound

A lot of merck in general (many names mentioned) is good stuff, and everything on skam (most of that mentioned)

doadoajdiadacaca

ok so I just need to specifically call out a few of the albums here i REALLY dig

Einoma - Milli Tonkerva: Really deep bassy industrial IDM, very tasty

Keef Baker - The Widnes Years: Super IDM'y D&B

Kelpe is amazing, its like a halfway between BoC and Ae, seriously get the album Sea inside Body if you know whats good for you

Lusine - Serial Hodgepodge is another fantastic album in the same vein as kelpe

Meam - The L: Excellent, really gritty industrial sounding IDM again

Proem - Negativ: Just the sort of music I was looking for, Very Ae sounding but still have their own twist on IDM

Robert Logan: Both Cognessence and Inscape are FANTASTIC IDM albums that very closely resemble latter period Ae (Draft-Quaristice)

Xanopticon: The most amazingly intense mix of IDM, Glitch and D&B I've ever encountered, holy shit get The Silver Key EP if you don't have it.

I'm still digging through all of the recs here

Also to Awepittance: Lying on the floor is fucking ACE man! I'm still digesting it but I will definately be giving you a track-by-track of it when I'm finished. Morphing Song is my fav so far.

Edited by thehauntingsoul

Guest phaelam
So I have been pretty much exclusively listening to the following few artists:

Autechre, BoC, Plaid, Bonobo, Squarepusher and Clark

I'm looking for something more in the vein of Ae/Clark style music.

I'm NOT looking for anything with vocals, and I much prefer synth over real recorded instruments. Any good suggestions? Thx all

try the following...

reload [A Collection Of Short Stories]

coil [snow]

global communication [76:14]

as one [The Art Of Prophecy]

lfo [prob not what youre after but Frequencies]

meat beat manifesto/jack dangers [for no vox try Loudness Clarifies]

everyone else has it pretty covered.

Guest HWNDarkside
What are the best Apparat albums WITHOUT the gay singing? Some of the older stuff I've heard from him is good but at some point he turned into hip gay musics.

Absolutely no dodgy vocals here

Apparat - Multifunkionsebene

Apparat - Tttrial And Eror

Maybe also try

ISAN - Lucky Cat, Plans Drawn In Pencil, Meet Next Life

Sumumo Yokota - Magic Thread, Grinning Cat, Sakura

Anything by Quinoline Yellow

What are the best Apparat albums WITHOUT the gay singing? Some of the older stuff I've heard from him is good but at some point he turned into hip gay musics.

Absolutely no dodgy vocals here

Apparat - Multifunkionsebene

Apparat - Tttrial And Eror

Maybe also try

ISAN - Lucky Cat, Plans Drawn In Pencil, Meet Next Life

Sumumo Yokota - Magic Thread, Grinning Cat, Sakura

Anything by Quinoline Yellow

I cant believe I didnt think of this earlier:

Puzzleweasel - Exo-grid

Aoki Takamasa - Silicom Two

I met Puzzleweasel a while back while he was on tour in NY, nice dude.

• 6 years later...

Sorry for resurrecting this old tread but I've got some recommendations to add (And why is this in the Plaid subforum :biggrin: )

Seven Ark (This guy later produced some tracks for Die Antwoord as Dj Hi-Tek)

[youtubehd]Cj0dCARYMYk[/youtubehd]

[youtubehd]9_Oek02jawI[/youtubehd]

Marcus wormstorm - Dark Liquid in a container

http://www.amazon.com/Dark-Liquid-in-a-Container/dp/B00GN1F8E8

Eh what a stupid thread. Sorry to be that guy.

But

Nobody sounds like Autechre. Nobody. Nobody has honed in like them and created such a diverse sound in the electronic realm. Their scope is so wide, yet they've managed to master it all. Seven Ark sounds like what some guy thinks Autechre is or something but doing it in a poor lame manner.

HOWEVER

I believe that there are some people doing interesting things who are also "honing in" on the focus of sound exploration and design. I think of Brian Eno or a guy like Actress... maybe even Vladislav Delay. People who are also exploring the depths of electronic music and really pushing themselves to do new things, not just rehash someone else's sound. But goddamn there is nobody with the insane focus and depth and structure as Autechre, who just carve right into raw sound. I am probably most hopeful of Actress. The guy is young, hustles and works hard, and is really pushing himself and sound design.

I've tried listening to Actress a bunch of times and it just sounds like 90's Susuma Yokota played through broken headphones to me. What am I missing?

Only two brief mentions of Coil ITT? Really? Unacceptable. WATMM, I am disappointed.

I would consider Tortoise the rock equivalent of IDM.

lol you really need to hear Radian.

[youtubehd]yPRofPgEuIU[/youtubehd]

Edited by drillkicker

But

Nobody sounds like Autechre. Nobody. Nobody has honed in like them and created such a diverse sound in the electronic realm. Their scope is so wide, yet they've managed to master it all. Seven Ark sounds like what some guy thinks Autechre is or something but doing it in a poor lame manner.

HOWEVER

I believe that there are some people doing interesting things who are also "honing in" on the focus of sound exploration and design. I think of Brian Eno or a guy like Actress... maybe even Vladislav Delay. People who are also exploring the depths of electronic music and really pushing themselves to do new things, not just rehash someone else's sound. But goddamn there is nobody with the insane focus and depth and structure as Autechre, who just carve right into raw sound. I am probably most hopeful of Actress. The guy is young, hustles and works hard, and is really pushing himself and sound design.

Your comment is ignorant to the history of electronic music, throwing in names like Eno, who's practically nobody in terms of exploring the sound. Or you need to be far more specific in your descriptions. Almost the whole 20th century was dedicated to not only exploring, but confronting the foundations of Western music, with electronic music serving as an important method to try and find not a "new thing" within known borders like all these niche producers do, but "new music" in itself. Autechre didn't come to an empty space at all.

It isn't the subject of this thread though, it's about producers who create within a similar aesthetic attitude. For example, for me Oberman Knocks makes generic stuff in that field, yet Sean Booth said it makes most Ae sound like a posh garden party (clearly not because it's "darker" as some death-metal would undoubtedly be, more like darker while being in the same vein), which is pretty respectful.

Quote from here: https://boomkat.com/cds/549880-oberman-knocks-beatcroff-slabs

I mentioned Eno due to his unique approach, willingness to absorb what is around him, collaborations, the oblique series... never settling for one "sound", always trying to learn; I believe that is what drove him to collaborate with, produce, and learn from so many artist (Harmonia, Jon Hassel, Devo, Bowie, etc). Not to mention the guy was a complete gear head and had no formal training. I think saying he is a "nobody" (in terms of exploration) really sells the guy short. I think he is very similar to the style and approach that Autechre take when making music.

I didn't say Autechre came to an empty space. The past two hundred years is extremely rich in terms of new material, techniques, influences, equipment... no doubt! I should have clarified more; there are many people with similar aesthetics to certain Autechre tracks. There is no one singular Autechre sound. That is what makes it difficult to recommend someone music that sounds like Autechre because I would hand them a whole big stack of tracks and artists that hit certain parts. So, here it goes then:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXubhykmrbs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBLGk3tQGv0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byhx4M8jVyo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oms0Db0PGU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuB635iKqxU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLX5KyrkwKg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXy6bwVkfa0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92mNLfnGk1Q

Edited by Maxwell

https://archive.org/search.php?query=creator%3A"martin+brinkmann"
this guy's stuff, a discovery i made yeaaaaars ago when i got the idea to check out music made by (free) plugin developers and spent plenty of hours going to all the webpages (many of which are now down) and checking for a 'music' section. he's made stuff for max and reaktor also. this guy's stuff was prob the best i found in that search.

this one was my favorite and i liked sleeping to it. for some reason the player doesn't work for those tracks, but you can download them still. this one's pretty good too. i haven't caught up on any of the ones since ~2007 so i don't know about those. i hadn't gotten into any of the featured artists here (or heard most), at that time.

Edited by MisterE

...down tempo fix that construct / decorate / furnish the hole somewhat.

"...rave on thy Holy fool

Down through the weeks of ages
In the moss borne dark dank pools"

I recovered the few lines I wrote in a wrong tread some time ago... this time it seems to be in the right habitat:

This seemingly happy song of Aeriae, for example, at some point, takes some autechrisch aspects:

And here is a quire good ae-mulation, in the vein of "runrepik" or 2010 liveset:

(Do any of you know who the real author is?)

and qebrus, he have some livid autechrian infections:

... and let's not forget the Autechre ante litteram, Morton Subotnick. more than 30 years before squeller, liccflii, left blank, reniform plus, 19 headaches, tankraken, y7, tuinorizn and /]{- /](||) Excerpt , in New York, this happened:

But

HOWEVER

99% agree except I haven't heard any Vladislav Delay that remotely warranted comparison.

Autechre are real auteurs, they're like the Stanley Kubrick or Tarkovsky of electronic music. They boldly go wherever the fuck they want. They seem to be very conscious of the cliches that abound in the medium, or maybe just so focused on and experienced at finding the sounds they like or mutating things until they suit them until it really, really sounds like Autechre.

Almost every other current electronic musician seems to be aping something. It seems really fucking hard not to. I do hear Autechre making things in the vein of 80s hip hop pretty frequently, but it doesn't come off as copying, it comes off as exploring and trying to push the aesthetic boundaries of that form. And in that respect Actress is literally the only other current act that comes to mind. I don't know if it's just that these guys just have high (or at least very specific) standards, but they're all capable of creating things that 1) sound like nothing else 2) truly sound like them, their tastes, their personalities and 3) can create immersive sonic worlds that are so detailed and finely tuned and free of distracting elements that I can suspend my judgment of the individual components and just enjoy the ride.

As far as Actress, I keep hearing sentiments like...

I've tried listening to Actress a bunch of times and it just sounds like 90's Susuma Yokota played through broken headphones to me. What am I missing?

... and I just do not hear it at all. It's like if the music doesn't have the usual sharp-edged trebly textures in it, people perceive it as lo-fi. I don't know if it's because I listen to some dub with a similar spectral footprint, but I just hear that as very customized, tasteful, sensitive EQ/mixing, using those facilities to create the colors he wants. And those colors might sound lo-fi just because they are almost non-existent in current electronic music. The prevalent shiny production just isn't the palette he wants to work with and that's fucking excellent. I hear no irony or pretense in it, it's just what he wants to hear and it sounds great to me. I "see" his music as much as I hear it, though, maybe that's part of it.

R.I.P. Susumu Yokota btw :cry: