IGNORED

Need some good music like Autechre

thehauntingsoul

Eh what a stupid thread. Sorry to be that guy.

But

Nobody sounds like Autechre. Nobody. Nobody has honed in like them and created such a diverse sound in the electronic realm. Their scope is so wide, yet they've managed to master it all. Seven Ark sounds like what some guy thinks Autechre is or something but doing it in a poor lame manner.

HOWEVER

I believe that there are some people doing interesting things who are also "honing in" on the focus of sound exploration and design. I think of Brian Eno or a guy like Actress... maybe even Vladislav Delay. People who are also exploring the depths of electronic music and really pushing themselves to do new things, not just rehash someone else's sound. But goddamn there is nobody with the insane focus and depth and structure as Autechre, who just carve right into raw sound. I am probably most hopeful of Actress. The guy is young, hustles and works hard, and is really pushing himself and sound design.

99% agree except I haven't heard any Vladislav Delay that remotely warranted comparison.

Autechre are real auteurs, they're like the Stanley Kubrick or Tarkovsky of electronic music. They boldly go wherever the fuck they want. They seem to be very conscious of the cliches that abound in the medium, or maybe just so focused on and experienced at finding the sounds they like or mutating things until they suit them until it really, really sounds like Autechre.

Almost every other current electronic musician seems to be aping something. It seems really fucking hard not to. I do hear Autechre making things in the vein of 80s hip hop pretty frequently, but it doesn't come off as copying, it comes off as exploring and trying to push the aesthetic boundaries of that form. And in that respect Actress is literally the only other current act that comes to mind. I don't know if it's just that these guys just have high (or at least very specific) standards, but they're all capable of creating things that 1) sound like nothing else 2) truly sound like them, their tastes, their personalities and 3) can create immersive sonic worlds that are so detailed and finely tuned and free of distracting elements that I can suspend my judgment of the individual components and just enjoy the ride.

As far as Actress, I keep hearing sentiments like...

I've tried listening to Actress a bunch of times and it just sounds like 90's Susuma Yokota played through broken headphones to me. What am I missing?

... and I just do not hear it at all. It's like if the music doesn't have the usual sharp-edged trebly textures in it, people perceive it as lo-fi. I don't know if it's because I listen to some dub with a similar spectral footprint, but I just hear that as very customized, tasteful, sensitive EQ/mixing, using those facilities to create the colors he wants. And those colors might sound lo-fi just because they are almost non-existent in current electronic music. The prevalent shiny production just isn't the palette he wants to work with and that's fucking excellent. I hear no irony or pretense in it, it's just what he wants to hear and it sounds great to me. I "see" his music as much as I hear it, though, maybe that's part of it.

R.I.P. Susumu Yokota btw :cry:

WHat the fuck??????? sUSUMU DEAD?

Eh what a stupid thread. Sorry to be that guy.

But

Nobody sounds like Autechre. Nobody. Nobody has honed in like them and created such a diverse sound in the electronic realm. Their scope is so wide, yet they've managed to master it all. Seven Ark sounds like what some guy thinks Autechre is or something but doing it in a poor lame manner.

HOWEVER

I believe that there are some people doing interesting things who are also "honing in" on the focus of sound exploration and design. I think of Brian Eno or a guy like Actress... maybe even Vladislav Delay. People who are also exploring the depths of electronic music and really pushing themselves to do new things, not just rehash someone else's sound. But goddamn there is nobody with the insane focus and depth and structure as Autechre, who just carve right into raw sound. I am probably most hopeful of Actress. The guy is young, hustles and works hard, and is really pushing himself and sound design.

99% agree except I haven't heard any Vladislav Delay that remotely warranted comparison.

Autechre are real auteurs, they're like the Stanley Kubrick or Tarkovsky of electronic music. They boldly go wherever the fuck they want. They seem to be very conscious of the cliches that abound in the medium, or maybe just so focused on and experienced at finding the sounds they like or mutating things until they suit them until it really, really sounds like Autechre.

Almost every other current electronic musician seems to be aping something. It seems really fucking hard not to. I do hear Autechre making things in the vein of 80s hip hop pretty frequently, but it doesn't come off as copying, it comes off as exploring and trying to push the aesthetic boundaries of that form. And in that respect Actress is literally the only other current act that comes to mind. I don't know if it's just that these guys just have high (or at least very specific) standards, but they're all capable of creating things that 1) sound like nothing else 2) truly sound like them, their tastes, their personalities and 3) can create immersive sonic worlds that are so detailed and finely tuned and free of distracting elements that I can suspend my judgment of the individual components and just enjoy the ride.

As far as Actress, I keep hearing sentiments like...

I've tried listening to Actress a bunch of times and it just sounds like 90's Susuma Yokota played through broken headphones to me. What am I missing?

... and I just do not hear it at all. It's like if the music doesn't have the usual sharp-edged trebly textures in it, people perceive it as lo-fi. I don't know if it's because I listen to some dub with a similar spectral footprint, but I just hear that as very customized, tasteful, sensitive EQ/mixing, using those facilities to create the colors he wants. And those colors might sound lo-fi just because they are almost non-existent in current electronic music. The prevalent shiny production just isn't the palette he wants to work with and that's fucking excellent. I hear no irony or pretense in it, it's just what he wants to hear and it sounds great to me. I "see" his music as much as I hear it, though, maybe that's part of it.

R.I.P. Susumu Yokota btw :cry:

WHat the fuck??????? sUSUMU DEAD?
Yeah

http://www.theleaflabel.com/en/artists/view/35

Sorry if it has been said here already, but Phoenecia, Imo, is pretty close to Ae, without copying it blindly. Just found a lovely second copy of "Brownout" on vinyl for 4 euros ! This album is underrated for sure...

Edit : oops, yeah, fourth post of this topic. Well, throwing again some love to Phoenecia !

Edited by autechrist

And here is a quire good ae-mulation, in the vein of "runrepik" or 2010 liveset:

(Do any of you know who the real author is?)

Yeah i don't get why people do this. Whoever made those tracks is really fucking good. Why throw that away by claiming it's someone else?

The prevalent shiny production just isn't the palette he wants to work with

thats interesting you'd put it this way because the onlyt ime i've actually sat down and listened to his music seriously I was taken aback by how cookie cutter and typical his style of 'lofi' production was. So in terms of trying to set himself apart from the pack of 'shiny' production techniques by aping other lofi producers so specifically he's tying himself to something equally and arguably more time sensitive (aka will be dated quicker) than someone doing hifi production. I think hearing a certain era of or 00's 'lofi' hyper compressed side chained electronic music is going to sound dated as shit after a certain amount of times passes

I have no issue with intentionally lofi production if its done with a unique or personal touch, but I don't hear that in the music of Actress (at least not yet). If he evokes a unique or cool emotional feeling for you thats all that matters, but to say that he's carving a lone path by rejecting of mainstream production aesthetics I vehemently disagree with. I think his ideas would be stronger if he didn't rely on muffling his sounds so much for them to have an aesthetically pleasing sound bed. IF he can make a song sound amazing without cutting off all the high end, adding fake hiss and compressing it into oblivion i'd probably change my mind

Edited by John Ehrlichman

thats interesting you'd put it this way because the onlyt ime i've actually sat down and listened to his music seriously I was taken aback by how cookie cutter and typical his style of 'lofi' production was. So in terms of trying to set himself apart from the pack of 'shiny' production techniques by aping other lofi producers so specifically he's tying himself to something equally and arguably more time sensitive (aka will be dated quicker) than someone doing hifi production. I think hearing a certain era of or 00's 'lofi' hyper compressed side chained electronic music is going to sound dated as shit after a certain amount of times passes

I have no issue with intentionally lofi production if its done with a unique or personal touch, but I don't hear that in the music of Actress (at least not yet). If he evokes a unique or cool emotional feeling for you thats all that matters, but to say that he's carving a lone path by rejecting of mainstream production aesthetics I vehemently disagree with. I think his ideas would be stronger if he didn't rely on muffling his sounds so much for them to have an aesthetically pleasing sound bed. IF he can make a song sound amazing without cutting off all the high end, adding fake hiss and compressing it into oblivion i'd probably change my mind

Could you give me some examples of producers you feel he's aping? Don't get me wrong - for all I know you're right, and in that case I'd really like to hear where he's getting his playbook.

To clarify, I don't think the "shiny" sound is trendy, either. I think it's a perennial sort of goal that is now trivial to attain, it's like the "HD" of music production. It's both what listeners expect and (probably mostly subconsciously) identify as "clean", "high quality", good taste, and it also seems to be the path of least resistance with the available technology.

I also think it's harsh on the ears, and the sonic footprint of most music is so different from all the other sounds in life. It's taken for granted that music should be larger-than-life, like the audio equivalent of a superhero movie.

I've been getting into some of FSOL archives recently and there were a couple of tracks that kind of reminded me of some Tri Rep/Garbage/Gescomish stuff.

The harmony that gets going about 30seconds in sounds like the one from latter part of Garbagemx36 and perhaps Silverside.

And this track sounds like Gescom.... apart from that really massive jolting FSOL sound ha!

And they have a track that sounds like it could of been cut from Quaristice, but i can't find it on the tube.

But ultimately i think that Autechre have a very acquired sound, and for something to sound like them would either be a fluke, or a tribute from a fan. Its easy to find earlier work that sounds like Acid House and compare it to AFX or whoever... some of those Laxair remixes are hard acid, but anything LP5 and after is Ae pioneering their own sound with no one else to pass the AKG C 1000 to. theory of singularity.

A lot of people slagged this off because it sounds "too much like Ae".

Future Image is pretty good, apparently not ae clone, after finish listening to the whole album, it feels totally different.

Ochre is in a similar vein, but a bit "warmer" perhaps. Ochre also sounds like autechre

some Passarani sounds a bit like old ae too

And here is a quire good ae-mulation, in the vein of "runrepik" or 2010 liveset:

Yeah i don't get why people do this. Whoever made those tracks is really fucking good. Why throw that away by claiming it's someone else?

Sounds crappy to me. Pretty boring rather. It's all done in Reaktor, in fact I recognize many of the default sound files. The second track is just the Krypt ensemble running at 180+ BPM.

Sounds to me like you haven't really listened to Actress, or maybe just picked out a few songs of his, which is cool. I do it all the time. But I gotta disagree with you. His technique isn't completely EQ, more specifically cutting out just the high ends and throwing in some sidechain compression. If you listen to an album like "R.I.P." or an EP like "No Tricks" or "Machine and Voice" you can hear that his EQ choices aren't limited to Lo Fi and muffled. In fact you can tell his decisions are quite intentional. He doesn't drape a blanket over his sound at all. He has stated in the past his obsession over Autechre and, to me, its clear he is an active disciple. He can make tracks that hit hard, 4/4 bangers, spacey textural drones, etc. I just feel like the guy needs more respect than to be called "Lo Fi".

It doesn't seem that you have even listened to the guy, by saying "the onlyt ime i've actually sat down and listened to his music seriously "... I think you should give the guy more listens. As a huge Autechre fan, I firmly believe this guy gets it! In his catalogue there is already so much to choose from, so many territories he has explored. Really something for any electronic listener.

Wow, you put it right! Kubrik and Tarkovsky are great examples. True masters with intense focus, dedication, and understanding. Funny because I recall in the AAA, they were into Kubrik and Tarkovsky. You are very spot on with why I also think nobody is like them.

As far as Vladislav Delay... yeah probably not the best example. I was thinking of his albums "Multila" and "Entain". But not going to lie, he is out there trying to explore. Just hasn't been drilling into the right nodes. These are the tracks I think of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPXRy23l0Xw

Sounds crappy to me. Pretty boring rather. It's all done in Reaktor, in fact I recognize many of the default sound files. The second track is just the Krypt ensemble running at 180+ BPM.

Sounds to me like you haven't really listened to Actress, or maybe just picked out a few songs of his, which is cool. I do it all the time. But I gotta disagree with you. His technique isn't completely EQ, more specifically cutting out just the high ends and throwing in some sidechain compression. If you listen to an album like "R.I.P." or an EP like "No Tricks" or "Machine and Voice" you can hear that his EQ choices aren't limited to Lo Fi and muffled. In fact you can tell his decisions are quite intentional. He doesn't drape a blanket over his sound at all. He has stated in the past his obsession over Autechre and, to me, its clear he is an active disciple. He can make tracks that hit hard, 4/4 bangers, spacey textural drones, etc. I just feel like the guy needs more respect than to be called "Lo Fi".

It doesn't seem that you have even listened to the guy, by saying "the onlyt ime i've actually sat down and listened to his music seriously ".

what i meant by the last statement is I had only heard his music on a car ride previously (both albums all the way through) so i decided to do nothing but actually sit down and listen to RIP since it was so hyped up by a lot of people who have respectable musical taste. I immediately understood the appeal but felt like his cliche lofi production method was a hindrance to what he was trying to achieve. I felt that it was a very amateurish and predictable way a lot of producers try to make their stuff sound murky and mysterious.

Like i said in my original post, if he can make a good tune without burying it in in later 00's cliche lofi electronic production methods I'd be totally open to it. So far I haven't seen it. Sorry I have strong opinions against Actress that you attempted to writeoff as me not listening to it :(.

edit: part of the reason I have such a strong opinion on it is because Actress pulls influences from music I love (something his musical peers don't tend to do) and i've always very much disliked what I view as a cheap and time sensitive trend of burying clean electronic music production in deliberate murky/muffled states. I don't like Lee Gamble either for this reason, it feels gimmicky to me.

edit: sorry didn't see your earlier posts. I can't think of 'specific producers' hes aping, its more of a general trend that took over Boomkatty electronic music around 2009/2010. After IDM 'died' the LA beat scene type of sound creeped into a lot of areas, and at least as far as i can tell the simulated lofi/sidechain compression into oblivion thing started thereabouts.

Edited by John Ehrlichman

what i meant by the last statement is I had only heard his music on a car ride previously (both albums all the way through) so i decided to do nothing but actually sit down and listen to RIP since it was so hyped up by a lot of people who have respectable musical taste. I immediately understood the appeal but felt like his cliche lofi production method was a hindrance to what he was trying to achieve. I felt that it was a very amateurish and predictable way a lot of producers try to make their stuff sound murky and mysterious.

Like i said in my original post, if he can make a good tune without burying it in in later 00's cliche lofi electronic production methods I'd be totally open to it. So far I haven't seen it. Sorry I have strong opinions against Actress that you attempted to writeoff as me not listening to it :(.

edit: part of the reason I have such a strong opinion on it is because Actress pulls influences from music I love (something his musical peers don't tend to do) and i've always very much disliked what I view as a cheap and time sensitive trend of burying clean electronic music production in deliberate murky/muffled states. I don't like Lee Gamble either for this reason, it feels gimmicky to me.

edit: sorry didn't see your earlier posts. I can't think of 'specific producers' hes aping, its more of a general trend that took over Boomkatty electronic music around 2009/2010. After IDM 'died' the LA beat scene type of sound creeped into a lot of areas, and at least as far as i can tell the simulated lofi/sidechain compression into oblivion thing started thereabouts.

I'd actually recommend starting with Splazsh - the standouts to me are "Lost", "Bubble Butts and Equations" and "Purple Splazsh". I do think R.I.P. is his best but it might not make much sense without hearing that first and hearing what he's really trying to do with the sounds that you're hearing as "lo-fi".

Actress's music, for me, is inseparable from my synaesthetic perception of it. It's more like a movie or painting that is listened to than it is like songs or tracks. He's extremely skilled at stimulating those circuits, probably the best I can think of. His best tracks are like fine-tuned, painterly, economical compositions of color, shape, and movement. Once my ears adjust to it, almost all other music sounds/looks comparatively gauche, cluttered, flat.

Maybe the idea of "lo-fi" is problematic to me. The opposite of what I think of as "lo-fi" would probably be lots of treble and clashing harmonics, and it's rare that I actively seek things like that. So it might just be a matter of taste. I wonder if it's just simply that what I hear as pretty colors and sculpted shapes, you hear as muffled, needlessly distorted, etc.

I'm trying to think of other music that gives me similar synaesthetic effects. Philip Jeck comes to mind and you could almost objectively call him lo-fi, so maybe there's something to that. Selected Ambient Works Volume 2 does something similar to R.I.P. for me, and a lot of RDJ's other stuff from the mid-90s (especially the Ventolin EP) pushes those synaesthesia buttons in a similar way. Some Coil does this for me too.

• 2 months later...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FhOtRH6GZ8

Jute Gyte. It's one guy who composes electronic music and micro-tonal black metal on his own, and he releases it all for free on bandcamp. https://jutegyte.bandcamp.com/. Though their sound has some similarity, it doesn't make sense to say he sounds like AE just like it doesn't make sense to say AE sounds like anybody else. They've both affected me in similar ways, though. Both were off-putting at first, but I could hear something unique and special in their music that made me keep listening. It wasn't until I re-listened to Jute Gyte's latest electronic release "Dialectics" earlier today that I became convinced that his music is just as complex - everything is put in its perfect place. The music doesn't cater to the listener's expectations or associations but stands on its own. Just like many AE songs/albums, elements like song length, pace and progression, jarring sounds, weird harmonies, seemingly random rhythms, etc. didn't settle quite right with me at first, but suddenly made sense all at once at a later listen. I haven't enjoyed listening to an album so much since those times when AE albums finally "clicked" for the first time, and I'm excited to go through all his previous albums and see if I have a similar experience. I was impressed so much that I finally decided to create an account here after months of reading through posts just to tell you wonderful people about Jute Gyte!

when ever a track remotely sounds like an ae people would say it's a clone. 99% it is but it doesn't have to be. i mean, i made THIS track in the autumn of 2009 and to me it totally sounds like an overmoves clone/inspired by.

when ever a track remotely sounds like an ae people would say it's a clone. 99% it is but it doesn't have to be. i mean, i made THIS track in the autumn of 2009 and to me it totally sounds like an overmoves clone/inspired by.

Yeah, very Oversteps-like. Even tonal progression is similar in some parts.

If I made this track, I would never release it, because it is just too similar to something I already know. I would never feel like it's my own sound I can identify with. I also did some bits of ideas that were very Ae-like sounding. They will never be published or used in a track.

Every time a band/artist has a very specific sound it is very hard to be "only inspired" by it. At least I cannot imagine hearing a guitarist with that signature Alex Lifeson sound and not thinking he/she is aping him.

Edited by Jev

i agree, but what i wanted to say is that i made the track before overmoves (so it's not a clone but i can't prove it now) so either it was a pure coincidence or it was the collective consciousness in play... dunno

maybe the fact that i'm such a big fan of theirs has to do with it too, somehow

Edited by xox