Jump to content
thehauntingsoul

Need some good music like Autechre

Recommended Posts

36 minutes ago, toiminto said:

What? ?

It’s pathetic really! Wait for the guys, they’ll tell you what; I’ve heard it instantly, let’s see what others think.

You’re on the wrong forum for trying to sell this; it didn’t passed well on elektronauts, why do you think I’ll pass here?! It’s watmm ffs! 

Edited by xox
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What's pathetic about it? ? Not really selling anything but wanted to hear opinions about it. I've always loved Untilted era live sets the most and the repetitive pattern morphing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, toiminto said:

A recent live PA I did. Autechre has been the source of inspiration for me for a long time now ? That probably shows

cool

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Recent Ostudinov's live from Brave Factory Festival

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/30/2019 at 9:15 AM, xox said:

It’s pathetic really! Wait for the guys, they’ll tell you what; I’ve heard it instantly, let’s see what others think.

You’re on the wrong forum for trying to sell this; it didn’t passed well on elektronauts, why do you think I’ll pass here?! It’s watmm ffs! 

 

On 8/30/2019 at 9:25 AM, toiminto said:

What's pathetic about it? ? Not really selling anything but wanted to hear opinions about it. I've always loved Untilted era live sets the most and the repetitive pattern morphing

My assessment: sounds way to close to the '08 live set; you clearly plugged in the recently released set data into the relevant machines. Your mistake was trying to pass this off as your own work; should have called it what it is, a remix using Autechre source data.

It's one thing for autechre to be an influence on your sound (i know I'm probably over-indexed), but this seems a lot like plagiarism.

 

Edited by eczem
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/31/2019 at 2:25 AM, toiminto said:

What's pathetic about it? ? Not really selling anything but wanted to hear opinions about it. I've always loved Untilted era live sets the most and the repetitive pattern morphing

Hi there,

 

To be fair. This is good music, like autechre. Very much like autechre in fact.

Now i don't want to somehow turn that emoji upside down, but it seems, to my naive ears at least, that you have downloaded the elektron packs that were generously made available by the gentlemen from Autechre and have made some changes to those patches, and then played them out live, whilst pretending that you are in fact responsible for the sound design and sequencing. If my hypothesis is correct, this is a severe abuse of trust and you have tarnished the IDM community. Please respond to these allegations in 1000 words or less, no emojis.

Edited by Stickfigger
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Burger 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

<sigh>

goddamnit. 

Hate seeing Facebook/Twitter/reddit-esque shit go down here on WATMM.... 

 

=/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok! So all of us hear from the same thing!

i didn’t wanted to say what I’ve heard, bc I wanted to avoid influencing your judgement, but it’s pretty obvious innit?!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/13/2019 at 4:58 AM, Stickfigger said:

Hi there,

 

To be fair. This is good music, like autechre. Very much like autechre in fact.

Now i don't want to somehow turn that emoji upside down, but it seems, to my naive ears at least, that you have downloaded the elektron packs that were generously made available by the gentlemen from Autechre and have made some changes to those patches, and then played them out live, whilst pretending that you are in fact responsible for the sound design and sequencing. If my hypothesis is correct, this is a severe abuse of trust and you have tarnished the IDM community. Please respond to these allegations in 1000 words or less, no emojis.

I was suspecting that was the idea that x0x had, based on a comment he probably left on elektronauts? I've drawn more influence from the 2005 era live set and I really have not touched the sysex files at all that were shared, at all. I use mostly vo-6, saw and dpro ensembles + fm synthesis from monomachine and all the sequences and sounds you hear are self made. That said it is pretty straightforward to do this kind of sounds with monomachine, and Autechre has been a great influence, especially the 2005 live set which is kinda evident.

In the previous live set (you can find that on my soundcloud) I had a track that has bass line really similar to 2008 pattern h. I would call it a remix of that and might be the reason why x0x would think that I copied something but that was also made from scratch, just fm bass and monomachine distortion

But for the rest, I 've just been making stuff with this kind of idea: repetitive patterns with slight changes, full on avoid drops, sub/bass emphasis on kick drums, little blends and very dry signal path. Monomachine is the main source of melodies along with microfreak, waldorf pulse and digitone. Drums are from octatrack and digitakt. I see the similarity in style with autechres live sets, after all that was the style I was going for, but I don't get how you think it's the same

It bugs me a little that you would think that I would copy and then post it on WATMM. And that after listening to the set still think that way. Even though the style is similar I feel it is different from what Autechre has done, to the point I felt confident enough to post it here. Anyway, I don't know, I feel like I need to convince you guys somehow because it irritates me. I just love this kind of sound, got my hands on a monomachine, tried dpro ensemble with fixed ratio transposes and found myself with loads of patterns in couple of months work after a huge inspiration boost the synth gave me

 

 

Edited by toiminto
added words

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for submitting your response. We will get back to you within 14 days to resolve this matter. Please do not respond to this autisticly generated message.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not like I've started doing this kind of stuff recently either, I mean I've been doing stuff since late 90s, often with similar set of "rules". Here is a track from 2008 that is in the same vein as the things I've been doing recently, except going in half time with the claps

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^this sounds good, nonce-quality (in a good way), sets off my autism tho (no offence meant to any autists or jews)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

if you want some good AE-live style stuff that doesn't blatantly ape it, this is pretty enjoyable...varied and at moments even touches back on some 90s style IDM melodies and such. some of the other releases on the Bandcamp might be worth dipping in and hearing but i've not given any others a proper listen yet

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/16/2019 at 8:20 AM, toiminto said:

I was suspecting that was the idea that x0x had, based on a comment he probably left on elektronauts? I've drawn more influence from the 2005 era live set and I really have not touched the sysex files at all that were shared, at all. I use mostly vo-6, saw and dpro ensembles + fm synthesis from monomachine and all the sequences and sounds you hear are self made. That said it is pretty straightforward to do this kind of sounds with monomachine, and Autechre has been a great influence, especially the 2005 live set which is kinda evident.

In the previous live set (you can find that on my soundcloud) I had a track that has bass line really similar to 2008 pattern h. I would call it a remix of that and might be the reason why x0x would think that I copied something but that was also made from scratch, just fm bass and monomachine distortion

But for the rest, I 've just been making stuff with this kind of idea: repetitive patterns with slight changes, full on avoid drops, sub/bass emphasis on kick drums, little blends and very dry signal path. Monomachine is the main source of melodies along with microfreak, waldorf pulse and digitone. Drums are from octatrack and digitakt. I see the similarity in style with autechres live sets, after all that was the style I was going for, but I don't get how you think it's the same

It bugs me a little that you would think that I would copy and then post it on WATMM. And that after listening to the set still think that way. Even though the style is similar I feel it is different from what Autechre has done, to the point I felt confident enough to post it here. Anyway, I don't know, I feel like I need to convince you guys somehow because it irritates me. I just love this kind of sound, got my hands on a monomachine, tried dpro ensemble with fixed ratio transposes and found myself with loads of patterns in couple of months work after a huge inspiration boost the synth gave me

 

 

Yeah, i dunno man. Maybe I made a hasty judgement. I re-listened to the track, I and would still say that to my ears you've at least closely emulated the AE live sets from the 05/08  (yeah, they're rad) in a lot of aspects. That formant/vocal sound in particular... guess I didn't realize it was a standard monomachine sound? I used to have the machinedrum, and occasionally I would come across a percussion sound that i knew was on Untilted or Quaristice.

Still may want to consider how worthwhile it is to put effort into this kind of thing, considering the reaction. I guess context still matters... and I was under the impression that you had performed this live. Speaking for myself, I would feel weird presenting a close autechre emulation as my own work, without some kind of acknowledgement. YMMV, maybe some people would level similar criticism at some of my own music.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, eczem said:

Yeah, i dunno man. Maybe I made a hasty judgement. I re-listened to the track, I and would still say that to my ears you've at least closely emulated the AE live sets from the 05/08  (yeah, they're rad) in a lot of aspects. That formant/vocal sound in particular... guess I didn't realize it was a standard monomachine sound? I used to have the machinedrum, and occasionally I would come across a percussion sound that i knew was on Untilted or Quaristice.

Still may want to consider how worthwhile it is to put effort into this kind of thing, considering the reaction. I guess context still matters... and I was under the impression that you had performed this live. Speaking for myself, I would feel weird presenting a close autechre emulation as my own work, without some kind of acknowledgement. YMMV, maybe some people would level similar criticism at some of my own music.

Hey,

sure, I've drawn a lot of influence from their live sets from that period, and yeah, that voice/formant synth is a standard synth engine on Monomachine. Other fairly recognizable one is the digipro chord engine.

Yeah, I've played it live a couple of times, response has been mostly good. I was kind of surprised of the aping/plagiarism comments, there is a lot of influence from the live sets, but also from classic electro sound. I do use the monomachine voice synth a lot though.. but its just too good ?

I started learning tidalcycles now. It's a super powerful language for coding patterns and I'm loving it so much. Future sets will incorporate it as master sequencer more than the elektron seqs, but I still gravitate toward the same style. I dunno, if people feel like it's aping so be it, I'm not trying to hide the fact where I draw my influence from but I think I can still very well call it my own work. 

Thanks for the reply, sorry for the long posts. 
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, toiminto said:

plagiarism comments

 

View them as a compliment

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New Noumen (Out this Dec on CPU)

Most probably mentioned (search and quick scroll didn't find), but also the earlier album.

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/28/2019 at 6:00 AM, Uros said:

New Noumen (Out this Dec on CPU)

Most probably mentioned (search and quick scroll didn't find), but also the earlier album.

 

NICE!

=D

thank you for posting this!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Second Woman.

I was introduced to them via some of those Aphex Twin setlists last year. They definitely have some of the skewed math rhythms of Ae, but also they feel like a distant cousin to the computer music of SND and the dub of Rhythm & Sound. While it is evocative of that stuff to a degree, it still sounds very modern by pushing a lot of those ideas into new territories. My favorite electronic artist to emerge in the past five years.

 

This is the track I first heard in an Aphex set:

 

Edited by LeftBannk
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah Second Woman is great. Somewhere between SND and AE

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...