IGNORED

Need some good music like Autechre

thehauntingsoul

Once upon a time as I asked around for bands that sound like Panasonic.  Someone recommended Bigod 20.  I subsequently quit asking for sounds like suggestions.  

When you find something really good like AE, you're not going to find a 'sound-a-like' that measures up, even if remotely in the same ballpark.  Real talent will sound like its own unique self.

• Like 2
  • Burger 1

It's really more of an "if you like autechre then you might also like this" thread, which is quite a bit more broad and interesting than "music that sounds like autechre" innit

Or things that resonate with one aspect of ae but don't necessarily "sound like" them

Edited by toaoaoad
  • Like 9

I take this tread even more broadly: if I find something that I think stands out for something, and that sparks my curiosity, there is a chance that the same thing could be true for other users. The link with autechre, in this case, is the mere fact that it's music that requires some attention to be assimilated and that is cool to me, a guy addicted to ae.

• Like 3

New Cristian Vogel album is really good. Not like autechre, more like Cristian Vogel. But if you like autechre, you might also like:

https://cristianvogel.bandcamp.com/track/s18

Wrt the 'what is the point of this thread' question, yeah, stuff that sounds like an artist you love specifically because they are so singular does seem self defeating. For me it's more a question of does the music engender some of the same feelings that I get from listening to autechre, or music that although superficially different appears to share specific traits, to give an example: a perceived kinship in song structures and approach to time/duration between late period ae and On The Corner era Miles.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

This recommendation may seem totally unrelated to Autechre but some days ago I had the chance to see the Netherlands Dans Theater contemporary dance company in Barcelona and I have to say I have never experienced such a feeling of absurdity, strangeness and wonder (that feeling of recognizing the elements but seeing them working in a totally unexpected way) as watching Bedroom Folk live, except from a handful of artists such as Autechre or Lynch:

The preview doesn’t make it justice at all. 
Me and my partner looked at each other afterwards not really understanding what we have just seen but knowing it has been extraordinary for sure. Check them out in Europe, I think they are touring or something. 

Edited by asmartkidbcn
  • Like 4

On 7/3/2022 at 10:12 PM, IOS said:

Woah Hyphaedelity is top track!

Cristian Vogel is mad underrated imo. Just been quietly busting out top level electronic music for the last 30 years or so.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, EXTRASUPER81 said:

Cristian Vogel is mad underrated imo. Just been quietly busting out top level electronic music for the last 30 years or so.

he was on jamie lidell's podcast a while back. was a good chat. i've snagged several of his releases over the last few years. the long one full of ambient stuff and kyma sound design is great. 

here's the HOWA podcast episode

https://podbay.fm/p/hanging-out-with-audiophiles/e/1626788036

• Like 3

On 7/3/2022 at 3:23 PM, asmartkidbcn said:

This recommendation may seem totally unrelated to Autechre but some days ago I had the chance to see the Netherlands Dans Theater contemporary dance company in Barcelona and I have to say I have never experienced such a feeling of absurdity, strangeness and wonder (that feeling of recognizing the elements but seeing them working in a totally unexpected way) as watching Bedroom Folk live, except from a handful of artists such as Autechre or Lynch:

The preview doesn’t make it justice at all. 
Me and my partner looked at each other afterwards not really understanding what we have just seen but knowing it has been extraordinary for sure. Check them out in Europe, I think they are touring or something. 

thanks for the recommendation, this looks awesome!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/16/2022 at 2:25 PM, dumplings said:

The Damirat and t.e.s.o. recs are r8 good.

I especially liked this track:

https://aperturerecords.bandcamp.com/track/untilted-blue-monocrome

I didn't realise until finding t.e.s.o. on bandcamp that the music is released on the same label as Oberman Knocks, of course there's going to be some similarities.

Good track. Definitely no way anyone could misconstrue that track as an Autechre influence. 

That’s partly how I found them, by scoping out Aperture artists after Dilankex ep.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Draft78 said:

Gamelan has already been widely shared (from parhelic triangle to Ligeti, but it also preceded Mick's rhino charge blast beat by a few centuries), but the thing I had not yet get on is Tari Truna

The ugly truth is: This weird asian music usually makes my ears bleed. I prefer listening to Qebrus.

• Facepalm 1

3 hours ago, WurstPLUS said:

The ugly truth is: This weird asian music usually makes my ears bleed. I prefer listening to Qebrus.

The ugly truth is: all gamelan that I’ve heard so far is boring; interesting concept behind it but the music is boring 

imo

• Facepalm 1

On 8/8/2022 at 2:40 PM, Draft78 said:

Gamelan has already been widely shared (from parhelic triangle to Ligeti, but it also preceded Mick's rhino charge blast beat by a few centuries), but the thing I had not yet get on is Tari Truna

so, tari truna

absolutely amazing, i can't even image the degree of body control at play, down to every eye movement. holy shit.

• Like 3

On 8/10/2022 at 12:54 PM, jaderpansen said:

absolutely amazing, i can't even image the degree of body control at play, down to every eye movement. holy shit.

when the goddess kali descended the steps with those superhuman movements, perfectly synchronized to the storm of sounds, I sincerely stopped my breath for a few seconds

• Like 2

On 8/8/2022 at 1:40 PM, Draft78 said:

so, tari truna

This is like David Elsewhere dancing to Aleksi Perala

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Summon Dot E X E said:

I heard his Radiohead remix, Remyxomatosis, a long time ago. I should check out his more recent work.

His latest album is top notch. He's done so much throughout the years tho. The 2 albums he made as Supercollider with Jamie Lidell are both superb and they were way back when.

• Like 1