IGNORED

A few films recently watched.

Guest Mirezzi

Moon - 5/10

So much potential ruined...

finally someone! what ruined it for you?

Scenario fail.

1) The hallucinations. So the guy starts seeing weird stuff, the tension builds up, until the point where we discover that what should be another hallucination is not (the other Sam). And then, no more hallucinations, no point made about the hallucinations, and no more hallucinations until the end of the movie. Which leaves you thinking that they were only here to fill the film. Stupid.

2) The clone. No explanations (unless I missed something) are given about why he was waken up. The original Sam seems to have no clue as well. Stupid. If I missed something, pls explain.

3) Sam never tried to go out of the work zone. But finally, he does. He's been there for years, but only now he decides to go, freely, explore beyond the work zone. Stupid.

4) The company behind the operation (Lunar). We have absolutely no knowledge of the inner workings and conspiracy they set up. Just a super cliché videoconference. Stupid, again.

5) The ending: only a few lines about Sam's return on earth and a mention of the company going down 30% on the stock market. Who cares ? Stupid.

So yes, scenario fail, permanent Solaris-wannabee-ism (I'm not even comparing it to Trakovsky, but Moon makes Soderbergh look like a Genius) , and cheap effects for a 2010 film. Science fiction should be much more than this, think Blade Runner.

this is all just how i understood it so i might be wrong...

they are both (/and therefore all) clones. the real sam is alive and well on earth the whole time.

the clones have a limited lifespan after which they start to break down menatally and physically (hallucinations and illness). the girl is a hallucination seen by a clone nearing the end of it's life, causing him to crash.

when 'he' wakes up in the infirmary after the crash this is a new clone, the old one still outside in the rover... new clone is not allowed out til they clear the wreck and old clone away but he overhears gerty and hatches plot to get out and investigate... he discovers the old clone and brings him back, and so on until they discover the clone bay.

the company is behind it all... what else do you want to know?

so left to the imagination - the clone returns to earth and exposes the company's "unethical" practices and their shares go down. he eventually expires just like all the other clones and the company continues its business of manipulating clones for money.

it's not an entirely original concept by any means but i found it all pretty thought provoking.

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest ruiagnelo

I just saw 2001: A Space Odyssey for the first time

I say 8/10

Great movie but I don't like the long drawn out scenes, and yes I realize it's part of Kubrick's style.

he was always very meticulous about detail and aesthetics. takes a couple of views before you get used to it, i guess.

have you seen "A Clockwork Orange"? it's very different from 2001 but it's a masterpiece as well.

Moon - 5/10

So much potential ruined...

finally someone! what ruined it for you?

Scenario fail.

1) The hallucinations. So the guy starts seeing weird stuff, the tension builds up, until the point where we discover that what should be another hallucination is not (the other Sam). And then, no more hallucinations, no point made about the hallucinations, and no more hallucinations until the end of the movie. Which leaves you thinking that they were only here to fill the film. Stupid.

2) The clone. No explanations (unless I missed something) are given about why he was waken up. The original Sam seems to have no clue as well. Stupid. If I missed something, pls explain.

3) Sam never tried to go out of the work zone. But finally, he does. He's been there for years, but only now he decides to go, freely, explore beyond the work zone. Stupid.

4) The company behind the operation (Lunar). We have absolutely no knowledge of the inner workings and conspiracy they set up. Just a super cliché videoconference. Stupid, again.

5) The ending: only a few lines about Sam's return on earth and a mention of the company going down 30% on the stock market. Who cares ? Stupid.

So yes, scenario fail, permanent Solaris-wannabee-ism (I'm not even comparing it to Trakovsky, but Moon makes Soderbergh look like a Genius) , and cheap effects for a 2010 film. Science fiction should be much more than this, think Blade Runner.

1. hallucinations - yeah, this wasn't really explained, but what keltoi wrote makes some sense.

2. the clone - he's obviously waken up because the previous one seemed "expired"

3+4+5 - i agree.

mostly, i was just annoyed by how people were raving about this being good sci-fi. for fucks sake, this story is an n-th rehash of the most overused "short story" plot. i can understand there was little/zero budget for the movie, but at least they could get a decent plot.

also, i thought the scenario was indeed confusing. among other things, it took me quite some time even to figure out the second guy was supposed to look the same (beard, etc...) - wtf how can you fuck that up??

Guest the anonymous forumite

Their purpose and intentions.

Otherwise, thanks for clearing things up.

edit: oh, what will happen to the clone replaced in the car ? He's still alive.

Their purpose and intentions.

Otherwise, thanks for clearing things up.

edit: oh, what will happen to the clone replaced in the car ? He's still alive.

their purpose as i see it is to mine the moon until there's nothing left, using 'staff' convinced that they're on a 3 year mission, after which they return rich to a happy loving family life... this way they don't complain or get dejected and live in constant hope of returning to loved ones... they don't have different characters and personalities to manage... no despondancy, no revolt... they are exploiting the clone's implanted memories, beliefs and 'human' rights.

ps edit - the clone in the car will eventually expire like all the others.

Just watched American History X.

i wonder how many of those who had racist ideals started thinking after watching this.

EDIT: 10/10. the movie speaks for itself. no reasons needed.

I quoted the movie (the bit about if hating ever really changed your life for the better) to a nazi I knew once and it had an effect on him, he changed.

Guest the anonymous forumite

Sin Nombre - 7/10

Very well made and highly enjoyable but not a very original treatment of the topic

Guest ruiagnelo

Just watched American History X.

i wonder how many of those who had racist ideals started thinking after watching this.

EDIT: 10/10. the movie speaks for itself. no reasons needed.

I quoted the movie (the bit about if hating ever really changed your life for the better) to a nazi I knew once and it had an effect on him, he changed.

lol he was a weak nazi then. a quote is never enough to change solid beliefs.

but the movie's message is pretty clear and even if you are normal (assuming that hating nazism is normal) it hits you in a way that makes you reflect.

Sin Nombre - 7/10

Very well made and highly enjoyable but not a very original treatment of the topic

the topic of love? it's romeo and juliet innit.

great film.

Guest Fishtank

I just watched a movie called Shuttle. You know when you're watching a movie and you think "why don't they just..." well everytime I suggested something it happend, it's like the movie heard me. I'd give it 6/10.

Guest Z_B_Z

oh come on that film plays like movie of the week bullshit

which one are you talking bout?

american history x. i remember reading the studio fucked with it so much the director took his name off it..

Guest vodor

the curious case of benjamin button: 1/5

utterly pointless and full of empty self-importance. i love david fincher, but this... no. whatever point there is about aging and dying is so dull and obvious but treated very seriously and preciously. very tempted to give it a 1... okay i went back gave it a 1.

zodiac: 5/5

i didn't watch it recently, but to serve as contrast: this is one of my favorites. here is something deep about mortality and murder and law.

toy story 2: 4/5

good shit, as usual. a little overblown with the action sequences for my taste. it really could have done without the surprise villain near the end. there were already enough forces at play to separate the parties, and those forces are more powerfully felt for the audience than some surprise villain cliche.

Guest Mirezzi

lol oh please

Not liking the ABC After School Special called American History X should get you promoted to moderator so you can ban these silly fuckers who like it.

Guest ruiagnelo

oh come on that film plays like movie of the week bullshit

which one are you talking bout?

american history x. i remember reading the studio fucked with it so much the director took his name off it..

So?

Guest Z_B_Z

this usually means that a film has been watered down enough for what studios consider to be suitable for wide audiences. but i don't know, maybe it wasn't that great to begin with. in my mind this film belongs with 'donnie darko' and 'requiem for a dream' in that masqueades as powerful filmmaking but ultimately (for me anyway) is overly sentimental, banal, and ultimately meaningless.

Guest Z_B_Z

meant to say - "in that it masquerades as powerful filmmaking but ultimately (for me anyway) is overly sentimental, banal, and meaningless." fuck typing on an ipod touch.

Archived