IGNORED

A few films recently watched.

Guest Mirezzi

Mad Men Season 3 - 8/10 - Great season. So much better than season 2. I don't want to spoil anything for anyone that hasn't watched it yet but I'll just say I can't wait for season 4.

yes.

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

strange days (1994) 1/10

this was bad on every level. terrible writing (james cameron), terrible acting (ralph fiennes, juliette lewis), terrible direction (kathryn bigalow). we were hoping for a blast of 90s and what we got was more an 80s view of y2k. skunk anansie are still topping the charts (they just reformed this year lol) and really bad metal is in. i actually like the premise of the minidisc recording from the brain and "playback" as the drug of choice but watching fiennes react to experiencing "rape/murder" playback was so fucking funny. juliette lewis washed her tits. then she lotioned them in another scene. infact her tits were in every scene and despite liking tits it felt really unnessescary. imagine explaining that scene to the actors. "ok so you're robotically saying your lines, now juliette - remove your see through top and lotion your tits a bit. then put your top back on. ok and action and this time, more tits". the killer reveal was signposted from his first appearance on screen and his wig so obvious that you knew he was wearing a wire. his death scene was pretty cool but badly executed. SHIT.

edit: what we really wanted was a movie that we could laugh at and this somehow missed the mark despite being laughably bad.

oh and its really fucking long

don't diss kathryn bigalow bro, she is the most talented filmmaker of our generation

:facepalm:

deuce bigalow maybe

yeah i :facepalm:'d when the credits rolled and i saw who'd made this tripe

The Ghost Writer 7/10

Polanski's latest thriller based on a book by Robert Harris. Ewan McGregor gets hired as a ghost writer for the memoirs of former British PM played by Pierce Brosnan, who is in the midst of war crime allegations. The former ghost writer and close aide to the PM was found dead. McGregors character discovers information that is sensitive and exciting things ensue. Pretty OK movie if you have around 2hrs to waste. It has Olivia Williams as the PM's wife, who I find oddly attractive in a MILF way.

Guest the anonymous forumite

Man on Wire - 8.5 maybe 9/10

This is the documentary, right ? I found it to be pretty irritating, the kind of bad documentary imo: pure praise of an awfully narcissistic man with one-sided comments from people seated on armchairs and terrible music. The narcissism and its praise ruined it for me. It ruined the beauty of the man's activity.

inception - 10/10

only a few, nitpicky details i could even think to criticize. fantastic movie, well worth watching!

waking life 8/10

visually its a 10/10. narratively its a 3/10. not sure how that makes 8/10 but there you go. all the talking is interesting but for me its a visual film. the visuals distract from what is being said. been trying to get my wife to watch this for 5 years and after inception i managed to wangle it with "its about dreams inside dreams". she didnt really like it and just said she worked it out "he was dead the whole time".

wiley wiley wiggins woooooooah oh oh

Mr Nobody (2009)

Made by a Belgian director but not a very Belgian or even European movie. Not bad, not that great either. The concept doesn't feel very fresh or interesting. Loads of scenes that did nothing to me or didn't have enough impact. Still, the pacing is right and it has beautiful visuals at times. 3/5

Man on Wire - 8.5 maybe 9/10

This is the documentary, right ? I found it to be pretty irritating, the kind of bad documentary imo: pure praise of an awfully narcissistic man with one-sided comments from people seated on armchairs and terrible music. The narcissism and its praise ruined it for me. It ruined the beauty of the man's activity.

lol, couldn't have put it better myself. every time the guy came onscreen i wanted to punch him in the face.

Guest Z_B_Z

mishima - 10/10

seems to get better every time i watch it. the score by philip glass really ties it all together but the direction is great and the sets are fucking gorgeous. say what you want about paul schrader, at the very least he made one unmitigated masterpiece.

need to track down the bbc doc 'the strange case of yukio mishima'. its on the criterion dvd but i have no money so ill see if i can find it online. its not on youtube or google video...

Guest ruiagnelo

I am about to watch The Human Centipede. I may regret this.

go for it man! i haven't watched it yet but i am not afraid.

Defendor - 7/10

Thought it would be one of those comedies about a crazy superhero wannabe, but was instead surprised it was a pretty mellow and even touching portrayal of a mentally challenged person trying to be a superhero. Woody Harrelson did a great job playing Defendor. And Kat Dennings is so boner inducing it's not even funny. And the end credits song is really catchy.

Highlights:

a) At the start he appears to be wistfully stroking a photo of two dogs attached to each other.

b) When viewing his creation he laughs like a nutter and kisses himself in the mirror.

c) That's it.

Just say no.

Guest ruiagnelo

Highlights:

a) At the start he appears to be wistfully stroking a photo of two dogs attached to each other.

b) When viewing his creation he laughs like a nutter and kisses himself in the mirror.

c) That's it.

Just say no.

huuummmm. not convinced.

The Human Centipede is such fetid shit that you could do a really effective high concept art installation by rigging a series of DVD players such that one outputs The Human Centipede into the other, which then outputs the Human Centipede to the next, etc.

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

Mr Nobody (2009)

Made by a Belgian director but not a very Belgian or even European movie. Not bad, not that great either. The concept doesn't feel very fresh or interesting. Loads of scenes that did nothing to me or didn't have enough impact. Still, the pacing is right and it has beautiful visuals at times. 3/5

Just finished it, I give it a 7.4/10 for what it is, its pretty fucking intelligent for is basically a quasi love story. It was really long and some of the scenes were slow but It was actually really well made and cohesive for such a scattered narrative. I can see a lot of people really liking this movie whom you wouldn't expect to be interested in the subject matter at all.

Guest abusivegeorge

inception - 10/10

only a few, nitpicky details i could even think to criticize. fantastic movie, well worth watching!

I've heard nothing but superness about this film.

Guest analogue wings

Highlights:

c) That's it.

Just say no.

also the way he says "rape drugs"

after.life - christina ricci naked for 1½ hours.

gremlins - just as awesome as i remembered it.

gremlins 2 - awful, cringeworthy film (ironically this was my favourite of the two as a kid).

Archived