IGNORED

A few films recently watched.

Guest Mirezzi

Guest Mirezzi

a girl in the remake...not a boyfacepalm2-3.gif

That's not even remotely surprising. They more or less wimped out on that in the Scandinavian version, completely avoiding the weightier material from the book. I think it's one of the biggest weaknesses of the original. What could have been a total masterpiece was instead just a very good suspense/horror genre film. You can expect a very competent remake from that Cloverfield guy, but don't expect anything intelligent. It will be dumbed down to the Nth. Count on it.

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the thing that's mainly selling me on the remake right now is Richard Jenkins plays her guardian, which is pretty awesome because i love richard jenkins.

even though i am in principle opposed to such an unnecessary remake, i cant deny the trailer looks decent. (did you see it atop?)

Yeah, I feel the same about the remake/reboot fad but this looks better than the original. The original for me is not paced well and the atmosphere of Swedish culture to an American such as myself, felt a bit awkward. Not sure if that comes across as xenophobic but I just couldn't relate with the feel of the first film, as beautifully shot as I think it is. I too love Richard Jenkins and seeing him play a serious and creepy role is going to be great. The remake looks more hardcore, dark, and straight up frightening, which is what I want in my horror. Will be seeing this on opening day.

That's not even remotely surprising. They more or less wimped out on that in the Scandinavian version, completely avoiding the weightier material from the book. I think it's one of the biggest weaknesses of the original. What could have been a total masterpiece was instead just a very good suspense/horror genre film. You can expect a very competent remake from that Cloverfield guy, but don't expect anything intelligent. It will be dumbed down to the Nth. Count on it.

I want to read the book now....

Guest GrandPopPoplock

I wasn't surprised either when I heard the news and yes , I agree on the book stuff .

Guest GrandPopPoplock

i think the remake has a lot of potential to be better, but then i think the original is extremely overrated. it had some downright embarrassing scenes, like the cat attack. fuck that made me cringe.

Hahahaha!!!! Yes , the cat scene could of been better.

I didn't cringe...I just laughed my fucking ass off.

Guest abusivegeorge

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

I can't figure out just why I love this film so much, this is the third time I've purchased it on DVD, because I keep buying it, taking it to friends houses to watch, and letting them keep it because they love it. Every time I watch it, I enjoy it just like I did the first time (not to mention I love Terry Gilliam anyway).

For me, personally this film is a 10/10 it never fails to keep me thoroughly entertained, every fucking time.

the thing that's mainly selling me on the remake right now is Richard Jenkins plays her guardian, which is pretty awesome because i love richard jenkins.

even though i am in principle opposed to such an unnecessary remake, i cant deny the trailer looks decent. (did you see it atop?)

Yeah, I feel the same about the remake/reboot fad but this looks better than the original. The original for me is not paced well and the atmosphere of Swedish culture to an American such as myself, felt a bit awkward.

Yes, swedish culture is definitely awkward, you have to grow up with it to appreciate when it's accurately portrayed in a film.

The remake is so unnecessary but it still looks watchable to me.

Guest Mirezzi

Yes, swedish culture is definitely awkward, you have to grow up with it to appreciate when it's accurately portrayed in a film.

To be honest, I dunno if it's the weather or something (I'm from Alaska), but I found elements of the culture very familiar as portrayed in the movie.

I would say the same about O'Horten, which was Norwegian but also felt very familiar. Probably something to do with the cold / lack of sunlight.

Guest Fishtank

Hide and Seek (1999) 4/5

I wish the title was different because it's very misleading. It's about 2 crazy people that kidnap a pregnant woman so they can have their own baby. Jennifer Tilly plays a great schizophrenic. The only thing wrong was a few continuity problems but other than that a very good suspense/thriller.

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

zach galifianakis.... live at the purple onion 6/10

i find him funny in short doses. his jokes are all one liners so that makes sense. his stand up show seems pretty painful. they intercut it with other pointless stuff but it doesnt save it sadly.

the new between 2 ferns was pretty funny though

slight related...

dinner for schmuctz looked awful on the first trailer and it seems to be getting nothing but BAD reiews. will be avoiding.

shame on you celery man.

Guest abusivegeorge

Toy Story 3 8/10

Enjoyed this a LOT. After what I'd heard I was expecting it to be nothing less than good, and it definetly delivered. Some people were crying at the end.

Guest futuregirlfriend

i know i'm late to this, but this week i blasted through every season of arrested development. pretty fucking good. i don't think there was a single lazy/boring episode.

Guest Mirezzi

zach galifianakis.... live at the purple onion 6/10

i find him funny in short doses. his jokes are all one liners so that makes sense. his stand up show seems pretty painful. they intercut it with other pointless stuff but it doesnt save it sadly.

the new between 2 ferns was pretty funny though

slight related...

dinner for schmuctz looked awful on the first trailer and it seems to be getting nothing but BAD reiews. will be avoiding.

shame on you celery man.

I more or less agree with you about Purple Onion. I watched it. I wanted very badly to love it. Instead, I kept convincing myself through half-forced laughs that it was good when really, it was just...decent?

That being said, his Between Two Ferns stuff makes me cry tears of pure lols, so obviously he's getting better at his shtick.

Dinner For Shmucks? Totally sick of Steve Carrell at the moment. I think his decision to do the American "Office" for 20 years was career suicide. Fuck that shit. zzzz

just finished the room. despite everything i've heard about it, it was somehow worse than i was expecting. a transcendent viewing experience.

such truth! This film is a new kind of terrible.

Guest Adjective

Dinner for Schmucks 3/10

terrible, disposable film. 3 is for zach galifianakis and intro montage.

Guest the anonymous forumite

Steak - 6.5/10

A singular comedy, weird enough but eventually a little "empty". It was ok.

Guest GrandPopPoplock

Moon ( 2009 ) - 9/10

I guessed the twist after watching the trailer months ago ( I was slightly off on one part of it )

Great film

Guest abusivegeorge

Moon ( 2009 ) - 9/10

I guessed the twist after watching the trailer months ago ( I was slightly off on one part of it )

Great film

Bought this today so will be watching shorty, also purchased Vanilla Sky, Persepolis and Weekend (french film by Jean-Luc Godard)

Archived