IGNORED

A few films recently watched.

Guest Mirezzi

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

oh yes, a perfect character perfectly played, could have easily found himself in some of the coen bros films.

this photo doesn't do him justice though, you need one that shows his ponytail

Guest futuregirlfriend

Shogun Assassin - Not so impressed. I should of grabbed the original series of films instead, shouldn't I.

The Real Andy Kaufman - A bit light. Scenes of Andy performing then a short mostly out of character interview by his friend straight after the show. I think you can see most of that on YouTube anyway. A few opinions and stories from people who knew him, to what degree, I dunno. The story about him screaming and crying during a pathetic Ghost Train ride and the explanation of his Andy Kaufman Christmas Special idea were probably the highlights of the second half.

just watched Children of Men again after a long time and its still a 10/10 for me.

yep - agree with this. Definitely in my top 5. Watched this yesterday -- feels so realistic, a lot of the atmosphere in certain scenes makes me associate some parts with half life 2. The police today (especially in London) seem to be catching up with the police in Children of Men in terms of behaviour and lack of empathy.

Guest ruiagnelo

just watched Children of Men again after a long time and its still a 10/10 for me.

yep - agree with this. Definitely in my top 5. Watched this yesterday -- feels so realistic, a lot of the atmosphere in certain scenes makes me associate some parts with half life 2. The police today (especially in London) seem to be catching up with the police in Children of Men in terms of behaviour and lack of empathy.

i associate it too with half-life 2. there is an atmosphere of oppression and a very original sci fi feeling to it.

it's one of my favorite movies ever.

Guest Fishtank

The Collector 9/10

This movie is the best of it's genre even with all it's faults. Better than any Freddie or Jason or Saw or Saw clone. I can't say why this movie is awesome without giving stuff away so

No happy ending

No revealing the killer

No cutting away from the good parts

No contrived plot points

No twists

No dialog given to the killer

what keeps this from getting a 10 is the improbable moments

Paranormal Activity, I'd give it 7/10 for some genuinely creepy moments but it falls apart towards the end and gets kinda silly. The alternate ending on the DVD is better than the theatrical ending.

Guest tidbit

nashville 8,5

brewster mccloud 8

the verdict 7

anvil! 6.5

gainsbourg 6.5

killer inside me 5.5

life during wartime 7

four lions 7.5

Guest Fishtank

Karla WTF/10

It's like an exploitation piece on stupidity. I have a very hard time believe this actually happened.

The guy is stupid

the girl is stupid

the victims are stupid

the cops are stupid

I mean WTF DNA evidence isn't enough to convict someone!?

oh and I love this exchange between the killer and future victim

girl: what are you doing?

killer: I was about to break into your neighbors house

girl: you got a cigarette?

and then the kidnap and murder ensue

is everyone in Canada this stupid!?

Guest Mirezzi

anvil! 6.5

you have no heart :sad:

Yeah, that was a great doc...genius really (for choice of subject if nothing else).

severed ways: the norse discovery of america 7ish

It is pretty long, short on dialogue and action, but i quite enjoyed it. it got terrible reviews, really, but i think i was in the right mood to see it. also, to my surprise, it had a metal soundtrack. it's a movie i'd watch once every few years, maybe, not much reply value.

Kynodontas - 7/10 reminded me a bit of flowers in the attic.

The Collector - 7/10 Best new horror film I've seen in a while besides House of the Devil. Had a rather weak story line but overall was a great watch.

Ahh my cousin gave me House of the Devil. Perhaps I will watch it soon.

Stop Making Sense - 7/10

Not a huge TH fan at all, but as far as concert vids go, this was a good 'un. Almost made me want to like them, but in the end, I don't find them interesting enough. This was shown to me by the way.

Inglorious Basterds - 8/10 Pretty much exactly what I expected. Quite enjoyable. I'd fuck the shit out of Brad Pitt.

The Secrets of Pool Hustling w/Pretty Boy Floyd - 10/10

I've never seen a torrent of it, but my cousin had it on VHS, and my mind is fucking blown. Imma up a bit of it to youtube tomorrow.

Millenium Season 1 - so so..... I was expecting better, but it was good enough for me to start watching season 2... halfway through that one now.

just watched 2001 with a friend who'd never seen it./.. he was bored at first but attention peaked when HAL turned on Dave and the whole acid bit. good times...

Guest beatfanatic

Life of David Gale - 7/10

This was on TV last night and I found myself intrigued because Kate Winslet was in it. She looked amazing even in such a unglamorous role.

Guest happycase

Le Belle Verte - 9/10

french film about a woman from an enlightened society from another planet coming to earth and "disconnecting" people from their stupidity.

Guest Deep Fried Everything

i was wondering about "if"... looked good but a bit strange.

bad lieutenant - abel ferrera - 4/10 - gritty? yes. fucked up? more than a bit. interesting? definitely not at least for the first 45 minutes, which is as far as i got. the only scene i liked was close to the opening when he was taking his kids to school... i lol'd. otherwise harvey keitel brought nothing to the character and seemed to just float from scene to scene. pretty much a waste of time, imo.

a face in the crowd - elia kazan - 5/10 - was not impressed; i think the movie wanted to show how hollywood and show biz corrupted this sing-songy backwoods hitchhiker from the sweet innocent wandering soul that he was... EXCEPT he never was one in the first place, so the movie just ends up following him along as he pisses people off and fucks shit up in his personal life. i did like andy griffith's character though, well played.

the last days of disco - whit stillman - 4/10 - if i had known this movie was going to be about not-quite-yet-yuppies, i probably wouldn't have bothered. dry wit, vapid empty characters only concerned with their social standing, and nothing but self-important dialogue. yes i realize this is why many (?) people love this flick but i just found it really really dull. only made it through about 45 min as well.

Archived