IGNORED

A few films recently watched.

Guest Mirezzi

Logan's Run - 8/10 - I've seen bits and pieces of this movie before but i finally decided to watch the blueray in it's entirety.

I'm really surprised by how much i liked this movie. it's VERY 70s cliche looking. The whole thing feels kind of like a mixture of brave new world and an original series star trek episode. If you can't handle dated feeling scifi stay away from this as far as possible.

the score is excellent among Jerry Goldsmith's best, it might be one of the first ever movie scores to combine original fully orchestral material in between fully synthesized sections. There is some laughable but elaborate miniature work going on through out the film, i admire the effort put into it.

However some of the matte paintings later on in the movie are ridiculously good, completely overgrown ruins. It got me thinking of how much better Indian Jones 4 would have been if they had done similar looking matte paintings for the rain forrest scenes.

logans-run.jpg

anyone have any 70s scifi movies to recommend? I've seen mostly all of them but i need all holes filled. i've seen all the planet of the apes movies, andromeda strain, black hole. I've also seen everything here - http://listverse.com/2009/01/16/15-great-science-fiction-movies-of-the-1970s/ except 'the man who fell to earth' and 'no blade of grass' Looking for some that i've probably over looked. I still haven't seen Soylent Green, is it any good? of course i already know the ending but it still might be enjoyable

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Regarding the Bad Lieutenant films, I had really high hopes for the original after seeing the remake. Maybe I should have seen them the other way round. Oh well. Might have to rewatch the original then.

Actually somehow I saw Herzog's film in the cinema, and came home the same day to find that the "original" was on tv. And yes, I was pretty disappointed with Abel Ferrara's film. Mostly because there was no character development or much of a plot, the imagery and symbology was really heavy handed and somewhat silly (jesus bleeding on the cross so unnecessary).

I admit there were some pretty nice standalone scenes with a great presence from Harvey Keitel.

And no, Herzog's Bad Lieutenant is NOT a remake. Its a completely different movie, the only thing they have in common is that they're both centered around a corrupt cop who does a lot of coke.

Tokyo! - 8/10

Three short movies made by Michel Gondry, Leos Carax (?), and Joon-ho Bong. Gondry's and Bong's (especially Bong's caught my attention which most of his movies do) short movies were both fantastic whereas Carax's started out great but the last 30 minutes were boring as hell.

Gondry's short film was about a couple that move to Tokyo. The man gets a job wrapping gifts, who shows screenings of his horrible movies at the theatre, and people really love them even though they are extremely amateurish. The girl friend doesn't get a new job, and she feels overlooked and doesn't know what to do until one day something weird happens to her body.

Bong's short film was about a "hikokomori" who hasn't been outside of his home for 10 years. I shouldn't really tell anymore than that. All I can say is, 'wow!'.

You have me interested, must check that out.

Guest Fishtank

Les quatre cents coups 9/10

yeah, I watched a classy foreign flick this time!

this isn't the type of movie I normally watch but it kept my interest so it gets lots of points for that

I didn't really like the ending and there's some unnecessary scenes (or maybe I just didn't 'get it')

but it's very real and matter-of-fact, and some of the classroom cut-ups remind of South Park kids if they were set in 1959 Paris

Logan's Run - 8/10 - I've seen bits and pieces of this movie before but i finally decided to watch the blueray in it's entirety.

I'm really surprised by how much i liked this movie. it's VERY 70s cliche looking. The whole thing feels kind of like a mixture of brave new world and an original series star trek episode. If you can't handle dated feeling scifi stay away from this as far as possible.

the score is excellent among Jerry Goldsmith's best, it might be one of the first ever movie scores to combine original fully orchestral material in between fully synthesized sections. There is some laughable but elaborate miniature work going on through out the film, i admire the effort put into it.

However some of the matte paintings later on in the movie are ridiculously good, completely overgrown ruins. It got me thinking of how much better Indian Jones 4 would have been if they had done similar looking matte paintings for the rain forrest scenes.

logans-run.jpg

anyone have any 70s scifi movies to recommend? I've seen mostly all of them but i need all holes filled. i've seen all the planet of the apes movies, andromeda strain, black hole. I've also seen everything here - http://listverse.com/2009/01/16/15-great-science-fiction-movies-of-the-1970s/ except 'the man who fell to earth' and 'no blade of grass' Looking for some that i've probably over looked. I still haven't seen Soylent Green, is it any good? of course i already know the ending but it still might be enjoyable

:beer:

Cemetery Junction: UK drama from Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant.

Toy Story 3: story bout toys. better than 2, not as good as 1.

Three Men And A Biker Chick: slightly overweight woman stuffed with overweight men in the 1980's

logans-run.jpg

logan's run is awesome.

have you seen PHASE IV?

logans-run.jpg

logan's run is awesome.

have you seen PHASE IV?

WESTWORLD

logans-run.jpg

logan's run is awesome.

have you seen PHASE IV?

WESTWORLD

^ is on his wee list

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

logans-run.jpg

logan's run is awesome.

have you seen PHASE IV?

WESTWORLD

tim-westwood.jpg

Cemetery Junction: UK drama from Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant.

is this new? i see some torrents but i've never heard of it before.

and its not a comedy?

edit: lol at the imdb reviews. sounds baaaaaaaaaaad

Style Wars - 8/10 - late to this but so glad I have seen it....really really enjoyed this....and now I know the basics of graf work....other than the fantastic honesty permeating from this documentary is the fact that hip hop culture started over 30 years ago and hasn't changed much, just more ego and more money involved now.........I want to go write on things

I barely managed to finish season episode 1 of SoA.... don't know if I can stomach another season one.

I think you have to be a meth-addled homosexual to enjoy that show...or mentally retarded.

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

I barely managed to finish season episode 1 of SoA.... don't know if I can stomach another season one.

I think you have to be a meth-addled homosexual to enjoy that show...or mentally retarded.

oh what no love for sam crow?

its a great show. reminds me of the godfather - organised crime, the struggle to go legit.

great characters. great world.

the theme song is pretty bad/funny but otherwise its well worth watching

a clockwork orange - incredibly dated. one of kubrick's worst films. malcolm mcdowell is pretty amazing in it, but that's about it.

one flew over the cuckoo's nest - polar opposite of clockwork. still one of the best movies ever made.

i agree that it's incredibly dated, but i think Eyes wide shut is probably his worst film haha.

why is it dated? because it looks ridiculosly 1970s and it's supposed to be the 'future'. It's much more guilty of this than even movies like Logan's Run. It was strange too because Kubrick had done one of the best and most futuristic looking scifi movies previously, 2001. I like clockwork organge though but i chock up the odd non timeless quality of the movie to a stoned period perhaps in Kubricks life. After all it was the beginning of the 70s.

that might be a problem, i know that his docs are not available on dvds and are only screened at festivals and such. i have a vhs rip of this i downloaded from a certain russian torrent tracker but no english subs, i was googling for them for about an hour without any luck :(

watch his "Tulpan" though, won't be hard to find.

that might be a problem, i know that his docs are not available on dvds and are only screened at festivals and such. i have a vhs rip of this i downloaded from a certain russian torrent tracker but no english subs, i was googling for them for about an hour without any luck :(

watch his "Tulpan" though, won't be hard to find.

Tulpan was fucking remarkable...loved it.

Guest GrandPopPoplock

Devil - 6/10

It was surprisingly......ok. There were a nice amount of flaws , but...eh. It would of worked a lot better as an episode of The Outer Limits .

Archived