IGNORED

A few films recently watched.

Guest Mirezzi

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

i don't understand how you could not like nick cave

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFdUTM4gU-o

i watched exile on main street doc last night. i bought the hype about that album and forgot i found jagger a little cheesy at times. i want that dark stones sound but maybe they didnt go dark enough. sounded better in my head. as a documentary it was ok.

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Proposition 3/10

Hated the music queues the most, quite boring movie.

i loved everything about it

The photography for me was the best thing, also liked the bounty hunter character.

aye, it was a fine looking film. but the characters, acting, soundtrack were all top notch too imo. i'm not usually a nick cave fan but it really fitted the film, pretty menacing, reminded me of there will be blood... you got a real sense of the stifling heat and dust of the outback. the plot wasn't complicated or ground-breaking. just a simple cowboy/western type story of betrayal/revenge... it was slow at times but intentionally i think and really tense as a result.

downloaded it recently, so thanks for putting my mind at ease, I heard it was good and will definitely watch it soon. There Will Be Blood was excellent.

I watched The Pervert's Guide to Cinema again the other night.

THE PERVERT'S GUIDE TO CINEMA takes the viewer on an exhilarating ride through some of the greatest movies ever made. Serving as presenter and guide is the charismatic Slavoj Zizek, acclaimed philosopher and psychoanalyst. With his engaging and passionate approach to thinking, Zizek delves into the hidden language of cinema, uncovering what movies can tell us about ourselves. Whether he is untangling the famously baffling films of David Lynch, or overturning everything you thought you knew about Hitchcock, Zizek illuminates the screen with his passion, intellect, and unfailing sense of humour.

And I love it. Even though I'm not always sure about what the big picture is I love his completely free view and open mindedness towards on movies.

Guest Fishtank

Blood Into Wine

great docu, Maynard is easily one of the coolest musicians ever, I even lol'd at Tim and Eric but later on they're just obnoxious

yeah, you're sarcastically vilifying the wine I get it!

they were funny for a total of 2 minutes of the ~10 minutes of screen time

the guy at the very end was funnier

anyway it's interesting to see the wine processes

I found a bottle of the Arizona Stronghold white wine, I prefer red though

Taxi Driver 8/10

catching up on some classics I haven't' seen yet

kinda slow but the story was good

The Proposition 3/10

Hated the music queues the most, quite boring movie.

i loved everything about it

The photography for me was the best thing, also liked the bounty hunter character.

aye, it was a fine looking film. but the characters, acting, soundtrack were all top notch too imo. i'm not usually a nick cave fan but it really fitted the film, pretty menacing, reminded me of there will be blood... you got a real sense of the stifling heat and dust of the outback. the plot wasn't complicated or ground-breaking. just a simple cowboy/western type story of betrayal/revenge... it was slow at times but intentionally i think and really tense as a result.

downloaded it recently, so thanks for putting my mind at ease, I heard it was good and will definitely watch it soon. There Will Be Blood was excellent.

it was more the soundtracks i found similar rather than the films themselves although there are similarities in style.

in both films the music played a large part in creating the unsettling atmosphere. and both are excellent in their own way.

Saw "In The Mouth Of Madness" last night continueing my John Carpenter trip. As usual with Carpenter it has a strong main theme of mass hysteria. This time something weird spreading from the texts of a popularist horror novels.

Starts off nicely enough but quickly gets quite silly. I'll give it a 6/10.

mouth-of-madness-train-scream.jpg

Sam Neil discovers he's gotten on the blue bus for pensioners.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0113409/

Guest Panthroid

Rewatched Riten (The Ritual) and Persona. Bergman is officially my favourite director ever.

Also,

Trash Humpers

This was a lot better than I expected! I never thought it would be anywhere near as "authentic" as it turned out to be. It somehow left quite an impression on me. It felt "important", in the same way that Gummo did. Like Gummo, it explores a world that is absolutely terrifying, but at the same time strangely appealing in its savage honesty. This is really Gummo-meets-Jackass-meets-FantasticHeyHeyHey and I was also reminded of Goddess Bunny, Multiple Maniacs and,...uhm... muppets. The main characters are really some sort of very evil muppets. On acid.

It's the most insane piece of americana I've ever seen. And if you can stomach the VHS-aesthetic and the deliberate weirdness, there's some genuine beauty to be found in this little film.

Taxi Driver 8/10

catching up on some classics I haven't' seen yet

kinda slow but the story was good

One of the best ever made in my opinion.

The story needs to be fairly progressive to get the point accross of how the character progresses into a complete fucking nutcase.

10/10 from me.

Iron Man 2

Really good, loved the whole sam rockwell/mickey rourke thing. could've used a bit less robots.

i just saw this and i was expecting it to be like a 5/10 because the first one didn't do much for me. I think it actually worked far better than the 1st movie. I am getting really tired of the 'obligatory cookie cutter super hero origin story' that spiderman started, it's an old hat now and feels very forced.

thought the war machine VS iron man fight was excellent. The inclusion of the black widow wasn't that bad, i wasn't familiar with the character so assumed it was a villain. I was pleasantly surprised that she was not. Sam Rockwell and Gary Shandling needed a lot more screen time.

Mickey Rourkes actual involvement seemed kind of underplayed. It was a little cheap i thought that they just went back to iron man style robots again as the main opposing force. Having Mandarin or even just whiplash by himself would have been much more interesting than an army of iron man look alikes.

It almost seemed like the studio forced them to have as much robot VS robot action as they could fit in because of the popularity of transformers. 7.75/10

Guest Deep Fried Everything

delicatessen - 8.5/10 - i love the playful/violent/multi-pronged and interconnected way this is directed such that there's always a bit of humour injected into whatever the scene is encompassing, and usually indirectly. beautiful colors and visual gags throughout. movies should always hope to have this much charm.

yes, this despite the movie being about a homicidal butcher!

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

Trash Humpers

This was a lot better than I expected! I never thought it would be anywhere near as "authentic" as it turned out to be. It somehow left quite an impression on me. It felt "important", in the same way that Gummo did. Like Gummo, it explores a world that is absolutely terrifying, but at the same time strangely appealing in its savage honesty. This is really Gummo-meets-Jackass-meets-FantasticHeyHeyHey and I was also reminded of Goddess Bunny, Multiple Maniacs and,...uhm... muppets. The main characters are really some sort of very evil muppets. On acid.

It's the most insane piece of americana I've ever seen. And if you can stomach the VHS-aesthetic and the deliberate weirdness, there's some genuine beauty to be found in this little film.

DAMN, I really cant wait to watch this now. So tempted to watch it but I think I'm gonna put on Machete instead, I'm kind of scared to watch Trash Humpers as sleep deprived as I am it would probably severely impact my sanity for the worst. haha but mostly I want to watch it with some homies slightly inebriated... Or do you think its not a good movie to watch with friends and laugh at/be weirded out by in a group?

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

finished season 2 of sons of anarchy last night. the last few episodes were great. this season things have changed a little. firstly they added more music, which makes me think of house (bad thing) but the writing and cliffhangers have improved alot. all the twists in the finale were great. still don't understand how you can not like this show.

Guest Panthroid

Trash Humpers

DAMN, I really cant wait to watch this now. So tempted to watch it but I think I'm gonna put on Machete instead, I'm kind of scared to watch Trash Humpers as sleep deprived as I am it would probably severely impact my sanity for the worst. haha but mostly I want to watch it with some homies slightly inebriated... Or do you think its not a good movie to watch with friends and laugh at/be weirded out by in a group?

Haha, I dreamed about it, the night after I watched it, so I'd recommend waiting until you're in the right mood for this sort of thing. :biggrin:

If you have friends who dig movies like this (I mean films that at the surface have all the characteristics of exploitation, but do have some twisted sort of "poetry" within them, like Cronenberg, or early John Waters, or Korine's other stuff... the kind of things that you like to laugh at, but still silently applaud), then those are indeed the ideal circumstances to watch it.

Archived