IGNORED

A few films recently watched.

Guest Mirezzi

i tried watching dogtooth but it just screamed "I AM A CUTTING EDGE ART FILM" so i shut it off.

your loss, a wonderfully twisted film that one.........

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fright Night is a favorite from my child hood as well, it's too bad they don't make movies like that anymore. I see it in a canon of 80s horror/comedies that strike a good balance between the two similar to Gremlins

the 2nd Fright night was a let down though. Guy who plays the Vampire in part 1 practically makes the movie, without him it's a little tiring

Guest analogue wings

If you want a good fictionalised version of the JFK killing, read James Ellroy's Underworld USA trilogy :shuriken:

Guest Al Hounos

Antichrist - Grief, insanity, violence - but what's the fucking point? All I saw here was von Trier putting all his neuroses about women and nature and kids and satan on display. Beautiful to look at though. 4/10

Saving Private Ryan - Get exactly what you expect out of this one. A fantastically well-made war movie that occasionally dips a little too far into sentimentality and patriotism. 8/10

Brokeback Mountain - This was great. Moving story, great acting. Well-paced. 9/10

Guest Mirezzi
A fantastically well-made war movie that occasionally dips a little too far into sentimentality and patriotism. 8/10

If by occasionally you mean 160 out of its 169 minute running time, then yeah.

yeah I really enjoy Dogtooth...what does that say about me?

that you really enjoy dogtooth? :cisfor:

thanks for the redundancy, *enlightened*

Anybody seen the new PKD movie? (Or should I say loosely based on PKD)

The Adjustment Bureau

11155711_det.jpg

yes and it sucks ass....

i wouldn't say The Adjustment Bureau sucked ass, but it didn't live up to it's potential. It had a very strong start i thought. turned out a little too whimsical and not dark enough, the score was especially bad.

Saving Private Ryan would have been a much more interesting movie if they didn't cartoonize the nazis in the final scene Indiana Jones style. the movie seemed to be building up to a more important broad message about war but then kind of degenerated when just like every previous WWII movie. The opening scene is probably the last truly groundbreaking thing Spielberg was part of, only mostly visually speaking

edit: im still waiting for somebody to make a good slaughterhouse 5 or catch 22 movie, the ones that exist didn't quite capture it but i guess it's pretty much impossible to do a film version of a Vonnegut book without fucking it up (mother night is probably the most successful)

edit2: leonardo dicaprio and his dad jointly own the film rights to the book Cat's Cradle, curious about that one. if i could pick a single book of his that would only work as a book and not anything else, it would be that.

Guest disparaissant

i think both slaughterhouse 5 and catch 22 (the films) work well if you've read the books before, but if you haven't they're just confusing. i mean they both definitely lost something in translation, to be sure, but the aren't really all that bad.

i think sirens of titan would make a great film.

my biggest problem with Slaughterhouse 5 was the unstuck in time part just seemed like flashbacks, they weren't emphasized in a way to convey what was happening to him int he book. Also it tried to mostly play on the humorous aspects of the book too often. but it's not a bad movie

inside job (the documentry)

Brilliant, it made why the crash happen so clear. the graphics were superb as well, all the graphs etc, and there some beautiful shots in it as well. they sometimes used music very well to create a interesting a contrast between the song and subject.

plan to rewatch come and see next, beautifully made film and utterly disturbing. you can tell it was a big influence on spielberg while he was making saving private ryan. if i remember correctly i sometimes found the film borderline naff/cheesy.

my biggest problem with Slaughterhouse 5 was the unstuck in time part just seemed like flashbacks, they weren't emphasized in a way to convey what was happening to him int he book. Also it tried to mostly play on the humorous aspects of the book too often. but it's not a bad movie

I recently read Slaughterhouse 5 for the first time, really loved it. Didn't even realise there was a film adaptation! Might have to check it out.. Maybe...

Inside Job just made me depressed, knowing that everyone responsible got away with it and made 100s of millions and Wall Street will cause another economic crash and the few will get richer as the masses suffer and get poorer.

Guest Mirezzi

Inside Job just made me depressed, knowing that everyone responsible got away with it and made 100s of millions and Wall Street will cause another economic crash and the few will get richer as the masses suffer and get poorer.

I've stayed away from Inside Job for this very reason. I was very recently going through short-sale proceedings on a condo (with Wells Fargo) while reading about the growth of banks since the 'crash'. Wells Fargo, in particular, is now at 155% of their strength since all of this started.

It is seriously disturbing that there's no one held accountable for it at all and there doesn't even seem to be any proper plans to do so. All involved are now either running big companies in the finance industry, holding important positions in academia or influential positions in the government. And they are all scheming on new ways to earn a quick buck no matter the real world consequences, it's all numbers on a screen for them. It's absolutely sickening that this shit is still going on, but yay capitalism, I guess.

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

and by knowledge i mean brains

and by brains i mean head

Archived