IGNORED

A few films recently watched.

Guest Mirezzi

The Fog - 6.5/10

thought this was garbage right up until the very end, when it turned around some!

i beg to differ, the Fog has some of the best atmosphere in any horror movie i've seen.

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i'm really surprised Hitchcock didn't generate more controversy at the time with Rope or Strangers on a Train. The 'villain' characters by today's standards are obviously homosexual, but maybe back then it went under the radar. either way they are both really good films. Rope is a very impressive film.

Rope was inspired by these two guys who were widely rumored at the time to be gay, and everyone basically knew what Rope was based on, and it's a mystery how Hitchcock got it all past the Production Code; but still there were a lot of refusals to screen the movie, etc.

The Fog - 6.5/10

thought this was garbage right up until the very end, when it turned around some!

i beg to differ, the Fog has some of the best atmosphere in any horror movie i've seen.

yeah, I agree completely...

The Mist was waaay weird. it started of cool and atmospheric like a more subtle horror film, then it turned into what I thought was supposed to be comedy or a fun splatter movie and I was disappointed, but then it got unexpectedly serious, unforgiving and violent, and the end was disturbing, altogether it was like a strange dream. King liked it apparently and thought it was very literal. Mh. I have no idea whether I like it or not.

Guest disparaissant

The Mist was waaay weird. it started of cool and atmospheric like a more subtle horror film, then it turned into what I thought was supposed to be comedy or a fun splatter movie and I was disappointed, but then it got unexpectedly serious, unforgiving and violent, and the end was disturbing, altogether it was like a strange dream. King liked it apparently and thought it was very literal. Mh. I have no idea whether I like it or not.

i really despised it until the whoops surprise ending, that really made it all worth it. i hated all the characters, esp. the main dude so it was super cathartic in a weird sadistic way.

and re: king, dude has fucking terrible taste in films. he hated kubrick's take on the shining so much he ended up making langoliers lolol.

Guest futuregirlfriend

Squee, I need a definite answer as to whether I should add it to my download queue.

taxi driver

amazing

I've scheduled this for a rewatch over the weekend and oh hey, didn't you recently post that you started driving taxis?

Guest Z_B_Z

william s burroughs: a man within - solid documentary. awesome list of interviewees and a ton of interesting anecdotes. its safe to say the cultural landscape would have been quite different without him..

Squee, I need a definite answer as to whether I should add it to my download queue.

taxi driver

amazing

I've scheduled this for a rewatch over the weekend and oh hey, didn't you recently post that you started driving taxis?

haha, i don't remember posting about it, but yeah, i watched that movie the night before my first day as a taxi driver. :cisfor:

i really despised it until the whoops surprise ending, that really made it all worth it. i hated all the characters, esp. the main dude so it was super cathartic in a weird sadistic way.

and re: king, dude has fucking terrible taste in films. he hated kubrick's take on the shining so much he ended up making langoliers lolol.

I only saw it on German tv, so I didn't really get an impression of the characters cause someone had removed their voices and put German over it. Maybe I imagined them better than they were.

I know King is fucking silly, I didn't mean that as a compliment to the movie, I don't even like most of his stuff, and he's crazy for disliking the Kubrick Shining. Apparently he likes the tv 2 parter they made in the 90's that had cgi lions made from hedges. :rolleyes:

Guest Z_B_Z

the mist is a piece of shit no matter what ending you put on it and frank darabont is a sentimental hack.

Been watching quite a few flicks lately -

conan the barbarian: haven't watched this since I saw it in theaters as a kid, they truly don't make them like this anymore. Misogynistic and macho in a bygone, innocent way. Plus arnold KOs a camel. Oily pecs/10

127 hrs (?): did as much with the story as anyone could I guess. 7/10

Restropo: Thanks watmm, pretty good. Vastly preferable to the hurt locker in my book 8/10

Buried: couldn't make it more than 20 minutes in, something about Ryan Reynolds annoys the hell out of me.

Shaun of the Dead: I was really looking forward to this as I heard it was better than Hot Fuzz, and I really liked Hot Fuzz. But I thought it wasn't quite as good. 7/10

Valhalla Rising: Trying hard to be Herzog or Black Robe but falling short. Also, digital blood. Still, kind of ok. 7/10

Never let me go: Man this is terrible. Are all English films about boarding school love triangles? Jesus this film made me want to "complete" before it finished. The sci-fi element made no sense, why did they let the people travel wherever they wanted - free range organs? And none of them are even remotely pissed off? It seemed the sci-fi element was only there to up the emo factor. Practically every emotional reaction seemed implausible. Also Keira Knightly is a pretty good actress but she looks distractingly anorexic here. crap/10

Shaun of the Dead: I was really looking forward to this as I heard it was better than Hot Fuzz, and I really liked Hot Fuzz. But I thought it wasn't quite as good. 7/10

no wai...but i guess it depends on which you see first.

shaun of the dead is a modern comedy/zombie masterpiece, it's infinitely rewatchable.

Never let me go: Man this is terrible. Are all English films about boarding school love triangles? Jesus this film made me want to "complete" before it finished. The sci-fi element made no sense, why did they let the people travel wherever they wanted - free range organs? And none of them are even remotely pissed off? It seemed the sci-fi element was only there to up the emo factor. Practically every emotional reaction seemed implausible. Also Keira Knightly is a pretty good actress but she looks distractingly anorexic here. crap/10

Yeah I was majorly let down after watching this film. Something about that other actress. Mulligan, idk, plus the garfield guy is a major pussy

Harry Potter XXVIII or whatever - Part I

Man, I'm a sucker for these movies and this one was pretty fucking good. The sound design especially. Everything was kept extremely minimalistic - even the soundtrack was extremely simple compared to the last couple of HP soundtracks. Beautiful.

Yeah I was majorly let down after watching this film. Something about that other actress. Mulligan, idk, plus the garfield guy is a major pussy

Foolishness! I love this film...has a feel to it that I have not seen in many films.....sterile yet heartbreaking, with a bit of hope in the fact that they realize but are forced into their terrible position in this life. The question of cloning and personalities has never been tackled in a film that I can remember, perhaps in Moon, but not to the emotional degree of this film. Fuck you guys in your lame asses/10

I'm watching Eyes Wide Shut right now. Fuck Nicole Kidman.

Fuck Her Sailor style!

I dunno dude, I admire your ability to always look past the acting, dialogue, pacing, etc of a film and judge it on the merits of the core idea. For me it felt like someone got the bright idea of applying teen romance to the cloning issue, in the same way the Twilight chick got the bright idea "Vampires are so romantic, Anne Rice figured that out but she introduced too many gay, highbrow elements, I'm gonna write the definitive Judy Blume teenybopper version and cash in!" I admit there were spots where it started to move me - Knightly plays a surprisingly good cripple - but it really made no sense. Even within the film's logic, why in the hell would some kid's art be able to prove true love? Say what? And again, why are they allowed to roam wherever they choose, and pollute their bodies with bad food, and risk their "cargo" by driving around in cars? Wtf, even the Island was more logically and emotionally consistent than this film. The most disturbing and moving part of the film was the way the kids all acquiesced to their fate with a smile (more or less), but again that wasn't logical...

Archived