IGNORED

A few films recently watched.

Guest Mirezzi

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Iain C

Just re-re-re-re-rewatched Bruce Dickinson's horror film, THE CHEMICAL WEDDING. Yes, that's Bruce Dickinson from Iron Maiden.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEzVfVgEeRI

The film is nowhere near as coherent or well-constructed as the trailer suggests (which is saying something). I've never seen so many plot holes, inconsistencies and all-round weirdy bits in a film. It's also camp as hell.

The commentary is a must, too - Brucie and director Julian Doyle are surprisingly frank about all the ways in which they fucked the movie up. It's a great laugh and they both come across as awesome guys.

Primal Fear - man I forgot how much I love this film. I don't think there has ever been a more impressive debut by an actor than Ed Norton here - he should have got the oscar. And Richard Gere is surprisingly great too. 10/10

Animal Kingdom. 7/10.

Australian crime drama about a 17 year old dude who's mom OD's so he ends up living with this rag-tag gang of sketchy armed robbers and drug dealers. The "bad guy" was really creepy and effective and the desperation of main character's situation was made crystal clear. The lead actor seemed mildly retarded, but I'll let it slide. Definitely solid, probably wouldn't watch it again, though.

A Serious Man. 9/10.

Haven't seen True Grit, but I thought ASM was the best of the last few Coen Bros flicks.

Animal Kingdom. 7/10.

Australian crime drama about a 17 year old dude who's mom OD's so he ends up living with this rag-tag gang of sketchy armed robbers and drug dealers. The "bad guy" was really creepy and effective and the desperation of main character's situation was made crystal clear. The lead actor seemed mildly retarded, but I'll let it slide. Definitely solid, probably wouldn't watch it again, though.

Hm, I thought animal kingdom was fantastic, and was one of the few films I've seen recently that I had an almost immediate desire to rewatch...

Guest Calx Sherbet

Better than 3, yes. But you can't go in expecting too much. All in all, it's just a silly movie but it's fairly entertaining.

Really looking forward to seeing Scream 4 for some reason.

it surpassed my expectations actually. i had one of the big theatre screens at my local complex, and the whole room to myself. sat in the very center, lol'd and made loud exclamations the entire way through. i wish it could always be that way

Better than 3, yes. But you can't go in expecting too much. All in all, it's just a silly movie but it's fairly entertaining.

Really looking forward to seeing Scream 4 for some reason.

it surpassed my expectations actually. i had one of the big theatre screens at my local complex, and the whole room to myself. sat in the very center, lol'd and made loud exclamations the entire way through. i wish it could always be that way

An employee at the cinema was hiding behind the doors to the theatre dressed as Ghostface and everytime someone entered the theatre he would jump out and scare the living shit out of them. It was great.

Guest Mirezzi

anyone here like Redeye? even just a little bit?

I did.

Cillian Murphy was fun to watch. Of course, the third act was terrible...

incendies - 7,5/10

aw, the reviews on rotten tomatoes made this sound good. I was looking forward to it. What was lacking?

I just saw The Reader. I was expecting shit but was pleasantly surprised. Not a great film, but a good exploration of both the "banality of evil" and how people deal with responsibility. Mainly let down by some mediocre acting. Winslet, Feinnes, and the kid playing the young Feinnes were all just so-so I thought. 8.5/10.

incendies - 7,5/10

aw, the reviews on rotten tomatoes made this sound good. I was looking forward to it. What was lacking?

I just saw The Reader. I was expecting shit but was pleasantly surprised. Not a great film, but a good exploration of both the "banality of evil" and how people deal with responsibility. Mainly let down by some mediocre acting. Winslet, Feinnes, and the kid playing the young Feinnes were all just so-so I thought. 8.5/10.

I can't believe Kate Winslet actually got an Oscar for her performance in The Reader. She was nominated for Revolutionary Road as well and she did a lot better job there. Her fake German accent was the worst.

Haha, I didn't even know she got the Oscar for that. Generally speaking I'm not a big fan of her acting, though early on in her career - Heavenly Creatures up through say, Titanic, she was good. I couldn't watch more than about 10 minutes of Revolutionary Road due to the "acting" between Winslet and DiCaprio being so awful. I mean, so horrendous it felt on a par with a grade-school play, Star Wars prequels bad. DiCaprio pretending to be a conflicted adult is just so wrong.

I thought it was funny in the Reader how when she teaches herself how to write, it was in English. I guess I don't have much trouble suspending my disbelief about speech, but watching an ex-Nazi write in English is just too weird. And yeah, her acting was serviceable at best, certainly not Oscar material. But I thought the young Ralph Feinnes was worse, he alternated between a cheerful smile and a thoughtful look, and that was it. The older I get the more I realize what an important role the Director plays in the quality of acting he gets from his actors (obvious I know...)

Noah Baumbach's Greenberg. Brilliant/10. Ben Stiller was good.

lol, the film is brilliant but Stiller was only good?

This film is boring, the writing is trivial/banal, Stiller's character needed to get his ass kicked...

but Stiller was the best part about it, because he is a good actor and Greta Gerwig's bush was awesome...

"Hurt people, hurt people."

my teeth almost rotted out my head when they said that line.

Guest futuregirlfriend

Le Professional - Quite good, bit unintentionally funny in places, nice music by Morricone.

Fistful of Dollars - Watching again but this time on Blu-ray. Forgot how straight this was in comparison to the later films. Stuck For A Few Dollars More on straight after, TGTBTU tomorrow maybe.

The Holy Mountain - Another rewatch. First saw it years ago via a crap dvd-rip - Blu-ray this time. No memory of the sets being so incredible. Absolutely stunning to look at.

The Armando Iannucci Shows - Not a film but an overlooked TV show. Some of you may know Iannucci as the director of In The Loop. I saw the show when I was 14, back in September 2001, not really knowing who Armando was, not knowing who Woody Allen or Luis Bunuel were. This is still one of my favourite things that he's done and I'm recommending now that if you can't get the DVD then to grab the high quality rip from tpb.

Archived