IGNORED

A few films recently watched.

Guest Mirezzi

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Mirezzi

we own the night (again) 7/10

Very underrated movie...as is Two Lovers. I like James Gray a lot.

Guest Mirezzi

'two lovers' is wonderful film but liked 'we own the night' bit more. joaquin phoenix is hero despite his recent 'i'm still here' thingamajig

I think the car chase in We Own the Night was one of the most stunningly constructed scenes of the last 20 years. Pure genius.

'two lovers' is wonderful film but liked 'we own the night' bit more. joaquin phoenix is hero despite his recent 'i'm still here' thingamajig

I think the car chase in We Own the Night was one of the most stunningly constructed scenes of the last 20 years. Pure genius.

certainly. incredible attention to detail. the rain, silent movements of the vehicles, even the windshield wiper sounds are used in achieving the brilliant mood of this scene

Guest futuregirlfriend

True Grit (new one) - 6.5/10

Tenue de soirée - Went a bit crap towards the end, though we do see some hilarious dancing from Gérard Depardieu 7.5/10

Star Trek - the motion picture (1979)

I think i've seen part of it before on TV or something. Anyway, whilst it was rather slow and basically shallow on plot, it was rich in ambience. This was of course assisted by a familiar cast of lovable characters/actors. Also, much to my surprise, i was reasonably impressed with the special effects for v-ger. All in all, i didn't dislike this use of my time.

Duel - Again. Very good early Spielberg TV movie.

PpSS2.jpg

awesome movie. surprisingly unknown too

Holy fuck I totally forgot about that movie. Pretty hilarious.

Anyways, just finished watching Chinatown for the first time. It was a brilliant movie in many ways I think, perhaps a little shallow and a little bit hollywood in some ways, but overall I really liked it. Most of the shots were really nice and the atmosphere and mystery really grabbed me. I think this is one of the best performances by jack nicholson for sure, some of it really showcased his wit and attitude, but still managed to keep a serious tone for most of the movie. The way it progressed was really amazing, not with quite as much finesse as Hitchcock's vertigo, but there are definitely some similarities for that type of murder mystery in California type of vibe. The Olyboy-esque twist was kind of a surprise but really made sense in the end. The very end scene felt a little bit strange or unnatural to me, but I was done with the movie by that point anyways. Makes me want to try LA noire.

(this was supposed to be an)EDIT: also this is me requesting more mystery sorts of movies. For examples of the movies that I like in genre would be blue velvet, rear window, vertigo, chinatown, twin peaks. These all feel very similar to me for some reason, I just love the tension and suspense in these movies and the mindfuck of trying to figure out what is going on. If anybody can give me recommendations based on these movies I would really appreciate it because I feel like I must be missing out on some good stuff.

also: I just realized the reason I can't edit my posts anymore is because I don't have EKT plus anymore, is that a yearly subscription type of thing?

unknown - 5/10 - couldn't really get into it, too similar to total recall and liam neeson playing a dope for 3/4 of the film was boring, need more action roles like taken for him plox

the disappearance of alice creed - 9/10 - VERY good british film with minimal characters and locations, just what i love.

Cave of Forgotten Dreams

I wasn't able to see this in 3D due to the theater not being a Regal. I just don't think they project anything in 3D...which is a shame, as this was the only movie I was really looking forward to seeing in that format, as I've heard good things.

Any how, I thought it was great. Some really beautiful moments. It felt a little disjointed at points, but I can understand that given the limited amount of time the team had to spend in the cave, there would have to be quite a bit of weaving involved. I've been thinking about the film the whole night. I mainly just come back to the moments where it is just the score and the shots of the cave , and not so much to the narrated portions. Don't get me wrong, I like Herzog's narration, and I generally look forwarded to it in the films that have it. In this case though, I felt it was almost unnecessary. I, even as a viewer, have so many questions on the subject that it almost doesn't seem to do it justice by asking them out loud.. so Herzog's existential slant on it slightly compounded those feelings. I can appreciate his his position on it though, and he usually comes up with questions and insight that I may not have come to on my own. The one bit that drove me nuts was the english overdub in the french speaking moments. I would have rather had subtitles. Hopefully the DVD/ version will have the option to watch w/ subtitles.

So yeah, recommended (at least for fans of Herzog. I don't think this one was accessible as Grizzly Man, or Encounters At The End of the World for that matter).

Guest analogue wings

(this was supposed to be an)EDIT: also this is me requesting more mystery sorts of movies. For examples of the movies that I like in genre would be blue velvet, rear window, vertigo, chinatown, twin peaks. These all feel very similar to me for some reason, I just love the tension and suspense in these movies and the mindfuck of trying to figure out what is going on. If anybody can give me recommendations based on these movies I would really appreciate it because I feel like I must be missing out on some good stuff.

The Spanish Prisoner

Lone Star

Don't Look Now

Klute

True Grit (Coen brothers adaptation) - 7.7/10 - entertaining, the acting and all the cinematic stuff was fine. Story is a bit weak, and I wasn't a huge fan of the music. Still, definitely worth a watch.

all or nothing - 9/10, mike leigh is a master, there's just no doubt about it. the way he works his actors and puts the life in them and keeps a perfect pace..it just impresses me with every film of his i watch, he sort of makes you immerse yourself into his films and forget you're actually watching a film. -1 for the ending that dragged a bit and for my expectation of timothy spall to turn into a rat :cerious:

Guest futuregirlfriend

Viridiana - Very depressing 8.5/10

Trop belle pour toi - Very good 8/10

Calmos - Not one of his best, probably the most insane of his I've seen so far though. 6.5/10

Guest beatfanatic

Days of Heaven - 8/10

one of the most beautiful films I have ever seen. I wish the plot would have been a bit better.

The Spanish Prisoner

Lone Star

Don't Look Now

Klute

to add to that list, some decent movies like this i've seen recently

No Way Out

Basic Instinct

Frenzy

The Conversation

Shattered

Marathon Man

(2 of those star Gene Hackman and for good reason, he's awesome)

Archived