IGNORED

A few films recently watched.

Guest Mirezzi

The Resurrected - Only recommended for a die-hard H.P. Lovecraft fan. I can't say i am, but only out of laziness.

This is the only other movie directed by Dan O'Bannon (writer of Alien) besides the awesome 80s zombie classic 'Return of the Living Dead'. It's also on a significantly lower budget than ROTLD.

It kept my attention and had some interesting stop motion special effects.

on IMDB there seems to be a consensus that it's the best lovecraft movie adaptation, and if it is i feel sorry for his fans because the movie falls a little flat. 6.5/10

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest tidbit

baiser voles 9/10

une femme mariee 7.7/10

tristana 7.5/10

el spiritu de la colmena 9.5/10

accident 9/10

the mind snatchers 7.9/10

network 9.1/10

american friend 7/10

gran torino 5/10

the wrestler 7/10

history of violenct 6.5/10

la decima vittima 8.5/10

j'irai comme un cheval fou 6.7/10

Guest tv_party
yeah jesus christ Religulous was FUCKING AWFUl, what a disingenuous dishonest prick for only going after judeo/christian monotheistic religions

he totally intellectually pussied out, iw as genuinely expecting the movie to be an argument against or a critique of the concept of religion not a movie with Bill Maher generically discredting 3 very mainstream religions and no others.

wtf. not at all it was a smart choice to address the religions most prominent in his target audience as well as the biggest offenders in terms of body count. it was more a humorous advocation of critical thinking which when applied to almost any faith based text casts serious doubts, so no point in addressing every tom dick and harry religion out there.

the only thing Theo and I ever agreed on was how amazing Gran Torino is...

after having typed that I might need to watch it a fourth time to make sure...

nah, I love its brutality and Clintosity!

When is Star Trek coming out on blu-ray!?!

Guest philia

the good, the bad, the weird - 6

yama no anata - 7

ashes of time redux - 9

helpless - 6.5

onna no mizuumi - 6

okuribito - 8.5

Gran Torino 10/10

lol

Well i saw it yesterday at the movies, so maybe I were just a little overexcited when i posted that yesterday evening. Besides Eastwood's own performance, the acting in the movie was a little..meh.. i guess. But it's still worth at least a 9 in my opinion.

Guest Yegg
yeah jesus christ Religulous was FUCKING AWFUl, what a disingenuous dishonest prick for only going after judeo/christian monotheistic religions

he totally intellectually pussied out, iw as genuinely expecting the movie to be an argument against or a critique of the concept of religion not a movie with Bill Maher generically discredting 3 very mainstream religions and no others.

wtf. not at all it was a smart choice to address the religions most prominent in his target audience as well as the biggest offenders in terms of body count. it was more a humorous advocation of critical thinking which when applied to almost any faith based text casts serious doubts, so no point in addressing every tom dick and harry religion out there.

Lol, the whole movie was just Bill Maher fapping to his own voice.

Guest iep

on a scale:

janghwa hongryeon - 7.125/10

lawrence of arabia - epic/10

cerro torre schrei aus stein - 8/10

nordwand - 6.5/10

jäniksen vuosi - 8.5/10 (thanks dot!)

westworld - 8/10

eden log - 4/10

romeo is bleeding - 8.1/10

marathon man - 5.4/10

all the presidents men - 6/10

papillon - 8.5/10

-----------------

overall: 7.875/10 (just 1/8th of a dustin hoffman short of an 8)

Guest tidbit

welldone iep.. you must have subs for that i reckon..

but but 5 to marathon man?...

and .. i think i need to watch that 'zog flick

Guest tv_party

Lol, the whole movie was just Bill Maher fapping to his own voice.

yawn. vanity abounds in almost any exposition. doesn't negate the fact that he at least attempted (and succeeded I would argue) to provide a valuable service practically tempered/compromised with focus relevant to the masses. a dry egoless comprehensive treatment would have been straight to dvd and buried. that shit is a dime a dozen.

Guest JohnTqs
lawrence of arabia - epic/10

all the presidents men - 6/10

two of my favs right there, how can you give presidents 6? both of these films made it to AFI's top 100 films last year

Guest iep

who is Afi? i sorta liked it as a quaint little thriller, but i wasn't really feelin' it maaann, same with marathon man. i thought marathon man really fizzled out weakly at the end, despite a very suave roy schneider.

you must have subs for that i reckon..

yea

i recommend cerro torre, it's nice herzogian story of one obsessed man VS nature, with some great shots and some corniness also.

Guest JohnTqs

AFI= American Film Institute

i dont think it's supposed to be a thriller, but i find it very suspenseful

I'm going to watch something soon, as I've got 3 hrs to kill before the girl with 4 nipples drops by. But I don't know what to watch. I've got a pile of DVDs but don't seem to have the patience for any of them (I'd ask watmm to pick but am at work and don't remember the titles). I've discovered that as an adult, I no longer find Monty Python funny. I just watch the actors and think, "damn they are talented, but the material is ehhh" instead of laughing. I'm feeling A/D's pain. Big sigh lol.

Oh, I watched Man on Wire the other day. It was really good, though I wish it had continued after Petit's feat, that was just when it was starting to get interesting, seeing/hearing how instant fame affects self-image/lifelong friendship. Oh well, still 8/10

Edit: What is this "The Conversation" people are mentioning? Is it the '74 original?

Archived