IGNORED

Jega - Variance

Bubba69

Guest tidbit

Does the bassline in Sakura sound familiar to anyone? Feel like it's sampled but I can't figure out where I've heard it.

jega samples the charlatans..

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest rex sole

Huh, ok this album turned out to be an absolute blinder. When I listened to the mp3 clips of disc 1 and the radio 1 promotional stuff all I could hear was the obvious use of Dblue Glitch, but hardly noticed it when listening to both discs in one go. All the tropes of the last 15 years or so of EyeDeeEm used casually to make some really lovely music. Worth the wait.

I doubt there is any Glitch on this album.

i can hear it too, but the other poster is right, its not distracting and mostly fades into the background. its not like he is just using glitch VST with the preset on, he's tweaking it a lot.

does not detract from making this a really enjoyable album. i have to ask though what makes one doubt that Jega would use glitch? i know a lot of musicians who use glitch who are very proficient and doing glitching by hand, they just choose to fire it up occasionally.

Well I mean Jega was doing drilly glitchy edits on his first few albums before Glitch the plugin ever existed. Between that and the fact that he's enough of a perfectionist to take like 10 years to do an album, I just assumed he would prefer to do it by hand.

I could be wrong, I guess. Is there a particular "sound" to Glitch that I'm not aware of? I thought it was just a multieffects plug with a sequencer. Does Glitch doing stretchy decimator shit sound so distinct from other stretchy decimator shit that you can pinpoint it that precisely?

Guest rex sole

It's just that if you spend 5 minutes with the plugin you can hear it's 'signature' when someone else uses it. Exile does similar sounding things, mangling with a similar palette of effects, but you can tell he's done it painstakingly by hand, and I like that because it makes the production a lot more transparent for me... the problem with producing your own music is that you become very sensitive to production techniques! Anyone that's heard Chiastic Slide and then owned a Nord will probably have experienced this.

I tend to like it when I can't figure out how the hell someone's done something, or I can't reproduce that effect myself (see the ending of 54 Cymru Beats for example) because for me it elevates that music up to another echelon. But at the same time it completely doesn't matter, because I also like well written and well executed music, which is ultimatly what Varience is.

So um.

No, I agree with what you're saying in general. If anything it would bum me out a little if all I could hear was Glitch on this album. I also agree with you about Exile— you can definitely hear the love he's put into his mangly devices.

I dunno, after reading this thread I threw on Variance again and ... maybe? Some of the drum edits on Sakura seemed not as tight as what one would do by hand, and that's always the thing I dislike about beat repeat-y Glitch-y plugins in general. But I've never really used Glitch itself very extensively. I suppose I will just try and enjoy the album and not really pay so much attention to this aspect of it.

I've never used a glitch fx vst program or whatever . Fuck that shit. By hand, all the way, any day. It's actually easier if that's all you've ever done anyway, and you get to be quicker and quicker as time goes on.... also, gotta love the "favorites" tab in cool edit...

Its not necessarily glitch, I think it is a combination of chopping some of his old, delay-based glitch drums in Live, or something else, it doesn't really matter. I mean, there are other plugins that does what glitch does, but better with more effects and more contol, such as Sugarbytes Artillery 2(cool plug, i use it from time to time).

i still don't 'get' the second half of this album. just sounds like the idm equivalent of metal shred solos or something?

i love the 2nd half of it! it does go all over the place thematically and some of the songs are pretty intensive glitch workouts but i think it still flows very nicely

i've only listned to the 1st disc like 2 times, this one however has been in constant rotation. i am just not a fan of the BOC pad muffled aesthetic

• 4 months later...
Guest GrandPopPoplock

Can somebody please confirm to me that there isn't strange rap samples on the album ( like , samples from New Boyz 'You're A Jerk' and other bullshit ) One of my friends keeps on telling me the album is riddled in annoying samples . Since I only like to listen to 2 or 3 songs before I get an album ( one of the many strange things I do ) I will never know if this is true or not .

I really, really want Variance , but...if the shit he's saying is true...I might have to put this one to the side for a while .

Archived