IGNORED

Jega - Variance

Bubba69

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can somebody please confirm to me that there isn't strange rap samples on the album ( like , samples from New Boyz 'You're A Jerk' and other bullshit ) One of my friends keeps on telling me the album is riddled in annoying samples . Since I only like to listen to 2 or 3 songs before I get an album ( one of the many strange things I do ) I will never know if this is true or not .

I really, really want Variance , but...if the shit he's saying is true...I might have to put this one to the side for a while .

In terms of the rap sample(s) your friend is refering to...

SoulFlute:

There is one vocal sample. I can't really make out the whole thing: "My sign flows metrics ... Ill knock you out of your senses." To me it's a background texture and doesn't really come to the foreground but only for a moment or two.

Chromadynamic:

Anthrax & Public Enemy - "Bring The Noise" (Lyric excerpt: "Once again, back is the incredible")

There is another I can't identify. The only thing I can hear is "what the heck." The rest is muffled.

Aerodynamic:

Kool Keith - "Ultramagnetic MCs" (Lyric excerpt: "Rack up, MCs I stack up")

Guest GrandPopPoplock

Thank You.

Yeah , I thought it was filled with a bunch of artist I don't like . I'm actually quite cool with all of 'em .

Looks like this will be my next album purchase .

Guest Sumguy21

Can somebody please confirm to me that there isn't strange rap samples on the album ( like , samples from New Boyz 'You're A Jerk' and other bullshit ) One of my friends keeps on telling me the album is riddled in annoying samples . Since I only like to listen to 2 or 3 songs before I get an album ( one of the many strange things I do ) I will never know if this is true or not .

I really, really want Variance , but...if the shit he's saying is true...I might have to put this one to the side for a while .

SoulFlute:

There is one vocal sample. I can't really make out the whole thing: "My sign flows metrics ... Ill knock you out of your senses." To me it's a background texture and doesn't really come to the foreground but only for a moment or two.

Chromadynamic:

Anthrax & Public Enemy - "Bring The Noise" (Lyric excerpt: "Once again, back is the incredible")

There is another I can't identify. The only thing I can hear is "what the heck." The rest is muffled.

Aerodynamic:

SoulFlute sample appears to be from this.

Other Chromadynamic sample is from this.

Does the bassline in Sakura sound familiar to anyone? Feel like it's sampled but I can't figure out where I've heard it.

It's kind of a simple bassline. Wouldn't be surprised if has been used in many songs.

Some of the record stopping/scratching/stretching patterns made me think of Windowlicker. Am I the only one hearing that?

Guest GrandPopPoplock

SoulFlute:

Chromadynamic:

Aerodynamic:

SoulFlute sample appears to be from this.

Other Chromadynamic sample is from this.

I've heard Soulflute ( the only track I've heard from the album ) But yeah , thanks man . My friend was acting the album was filled Li John and other bullshit rapper samples . I don't know what the hell he was listening to .

And Big Daddy Kane samples for the fuckin win lol ( just more reasons why I'll be buying Variance )

Oh , and I loved Soulflute .

Does the bassline in Sakura sound familiar to anyone? Feel like it's sampled but I can't figure out where I've heard it.

It's kind of a simple bassline. Wouldn't be surprised if has been used in many songs.

Some of the record stopping/scratching/stretching patterns made me think of Windowlicker. Am I the only one hearing that?

jega samples the charlatans..

Not sure which song though...

• 1 year later...
Guest GrandPopPoplock

lol I literally had this album in my hand, debating on buying . I bought RJD2's Deadringer instead :sad: ( overdue indeed ) I had to put Variance back because it was cutting into my weed money .

Can't let that shit happen .

• 2 years later...

He does 3d animation work in LA:

http://dylannathan.com

I almost prefer the "unreleased" version of variance that leaked years before the official release. They're both great though. Wonder what he's up to?

Agreed!

especially "acid" and "hydro" off the leaked version!!! But Kyoto on the official release is brilliant IMO.

forgot how good Jega was, thanks Dr Lopez for reviving this thread =)

• 4 weeks later...

Archived