IGNORED

NSFW Mix

autopilot

nsfw.png

Taint Zits

I reused a few tracks from an older mix entitled "Superliminal". It was the only mix I did that I was unhappy with in the end, and felt could be done a lot better with more interesting blends. Thus, I used about half the tracks from it in this mix, put in a different context and mixed much better (imo).

The real issue here, though, is the subtitle of the thread. I spent a good 4 minutes questioning if it should be "for an NSFW Saturday" or "for a NSFW Saturday". Of course there's the whole vowel/consonant rule for a/an, but it's sort of a gray area when it comes to phonetics, since it's technically a consonant, but pronounced "EN ESS EFF DOUBLE YOU".

Thanks for listening if you listen and enjoy if you enjoy. :beer:

I'm using the audio clip mixer/editor in FL 8. Basically I load all the songs in as audio clips, then meticulously chop them all up, isolate certain loops I like, layer stuff, blend stuff, and mash stuff up. The volume and filter automation and slice tool (plus the non-snap clip placement) makes it not too much of an undertaking...as long as you have the patience to zoom in super close to the waveforms and tediously place all your stuff so the kicks/hihats line up, etc etc.

The upside to this is that I can really go crazy with blending and bring in loops from 2 songs ago or 2 songs ahead, 3 songs at once, create repeating loops from a single 10 second segment I really like and carry it throughout another track as a mashup, etc. Lots of cool things you can do that isn't really possible with old-school turntable blending.

The downside is that this isn't really "live" mixing in any sense of the word. It takes a good 5+ hours for me to make one of these (closer to 10 if the mix exceeds 80 minutes). I'm sure a ton of traditional turntable & vinyl DJs would also consider this cheating...but hey, I'm doing it for recreation so whatevs.

post-63-1237061483_thumb.png

who gives a fuck how you do it if it it sounds good? (which it does)

because education in music obviously doesn't even explore methodology?

you, of all people.

Guest Drahken

The only time I have ever thought of that kind of approach as 'cheating' is if you show up at a party with it preassembled and click 'play' and flail your arms about as you twist some eq knobs like peter hook loaded up on cocaine.

The only time I have ever thought of that kind of approach as 'cheating' is if you show up at a party with it preassembled and click 'play' and flail your arms about as you twist some eq knobs like peter hook loaded up on cocaine.

Nah, my live shows are just a droning single note sine wave while I adjust the "rate" knob on the flanger. Everybody assumes it's so high brow they pretend to like it as not to appear pedestrian to the person next to them.

Nah, my live shows are just a droning single note sine wave while I adjust the "rate" knob on the flanger. Everybody assumes it's so high brow they pretend to like it as not to appear pedestrian to the person next to them.

Deserves to be in this thread:

http://forum.watmm.com/index.php?showtopic=42009

who gives a fuck how you do it if it it sounds good? (which it does)

because education in music obviously doesn't even explore methodology?

you, of all people.

id apply the same opinion to piano, if you can get akoustic piano to produce a rendition of something like a ravel piece as well or better than a top quality pianist on a beautiful steinway then serious props to you.

Exploration of the methodology is always fun, especially among the kind of crowd that would browse this board (inquisitive music nerds). It's just that an elitism in regard to methodology (which is unfortunately also common among this kind of crowd) is no fun for anybody. I think we can all agree on that.

downloading. thanks, will hopefull help with my Traditional sunday hangover.

and definitely A NSFW mix. because you say the words, not just the abbreviation.

Archived