IGNORED

Music and hearing loss

thehauntingsoul

oh yeah, skullcandy is by far the most retarded name for a company ever. The worst part is its trying to be cool. What the fuck is skullcandy? Earcandy makes sense... but the logo is trying way too hard to be cool.

Cheap though, awesome quality like I said auxiliary battery powered subs built in, you dont need to have them on or even have a battery in though but the bass is more than worth it.

The kind I got has the logo pretty small so its not too lame.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i'm curious how hearing mosquitoes and that mosquito ring tone that..people..have relates to hearing loss... because anyone over a certain age can't hear it at all, and that includes people who have never been exposed to anything loud. i've listened to music on headphones at loud volumes for over 10 years, i went to notoriously loud clubs once or twice a week for about a year and stood right next to the speakers, etc. but i can hear the mosquito ring tone, and mosquitoes.

it seems like you lose the high frequencies eventually whatever you do.

oh yeah, skullcandy is by far the most retarded name for a company ever. The worst part is its trying to be cool. What the fuck is skullcandy? Earcandy makes sense... but the logo is trying way too hard to be cool.

Cheap though, awesome quality like I said auxiliary battery powered subs built in, you dont need to have them on or even have a battery in though but the bass is more than worth it.

The kind I got has the logo pretty small so its not too lame.

i wish i had 80$ so i could get me somez

I'll probably look like an idiot but who will be laughing when I can hear a dog piss from 50 yards away and they can't hear him piss on their face?

that's a chilling thought . . i just imagined myself face up, getting pissed on by a dog . . and I CAN'T HEAR IT

Guest assegai

This thread has actually been pretty informative. I was actually just thinking about this considering I wear studio monitor headphones almost everyday at work. Although the only time I ever had extensive ringing was after seeing Rammstein. I remeber I had "eeeeeeeeeeeee" and everyone was muffled for a couple days.

Oh, and I love this quote:

Y'know that ringing in your ears? That 'eeeeeeeeee'? That's the sound of the ear cells dying, like their swan song. Once it's gone you'll never hear that frequency again. Enjoy it while it lasts.

That's totally not true, btw.

However the cilia in your cochlea responsible for high-end sound perception are the ones most prone damage or becoming defunct, so when when you hear a high pitched ringing in your ear it's basically a cilium or some cilia damaged to the degree of retardation so it rings even when you're not picking up that frequency from an external source. The high-end cilia are located at the entrance of the cochlea, meaning any sound heard that is of a lower pitch than any particular cilium is responsible for has to brush past it, so we lose our sensitivity to high pitches as they grow older because of the wear and tear happening in the cochlea which explains how the Mosquito Tone works.

• 5 years later...

I went to a drum&bass that was really really loud. Like, REALLY loud. Usually my ears ring for a few days after a nice show, but I had never really freaked out about it before.

2 days later, while my ears were still ringing somewhat, I was really baked (part of the reason I freaked out probably) and listening to music really loud while driving and suddenly noticed the intense ringing in my ears. I stopped the car and turned the music down and began to panic. I know hearing loss is permanent... does anybody else here notice a permanent ringing in their ears from loud music? How loud is too loud? How can you tell if the music is in fact way too loud? Is all hearing damage permanent? What do you guys think about this issue?

those specific frequencies you were hearing days after the party were the ones that you cannot ever ever listen again...

I've noticed I can't hear anything passed 17k anymore :sad:

i think the rough calculation is that we start at 24khz, then lose 2khz every decade providing there is no other contributing factors, so 17-18khz at the age of 30 is quite normal.

not that i know your 30, i guess you are close though

I've noticed I can't hear anything passed 17k anymore :sad:

i think the rough calculation is that we start at 24khz, then lose 2khz every decade providing there is no other contributing factors, so 17-18khz at the age of 30 is quite normal.

not that i know your 30, i guess you are close though

The average human hearing is 20Hz to 20kHz. I've been working as an audio engineer for the past six years (and three years of a stage hand before that), so I really just think it's a work related hazard. Sigh.

I work in a loud workshop environment so try to look after my hearing at work and in clubs otherwise I'll soon be deaf.

The snares gig last weekend was pretty damn loud, my ears were numb until the next evening but were fine after that.

Worst experience was Air nightclub in Birmingham for a gods kitchen trance night. Apart from the music being poor, the sound system was so top heavy it was screaming by half way through the night. No way near enough bass it sounded so shit.

Archived