IGNORED

Music and hearing loss

thehauntingsoul

I've noticed I can't hear anything passed 17k anymore :sad:

i think the rough calculation is that we start at 24khz, then lose 2khz every decade providing there is no other contributing factors, so 17-18khz at the age of 30 is quite normal.

not that i know your 30, i guess you are close though

The average human hearing is 20Hz to 20kHz. I've been working as an audio engineer for the past six years (and three years of a stage hand before that), so I really just think it's a work related hazard. Sigh.

Nah, I've never seen a single person on the Internet report they could hear up to 20kHz. I think 20kHz is the maximum range but not the average one.

Me I can hear 18kHz if I turn the volume up, and 17kHz is already faint. I think I might be slightly allergic or something, because my nose is never completely clear, I feel like I always have a lump in my throat, and my ears click whenever I swallow. I wonder if that affects my hearing...

At least I never go to concerts, and stopped listening to music on the street a while ago...

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Deterioration in hearing has been found to start very early, from about the age of 18 years. The ISO standard 7029 shows expected threshold changes due purely to age for carefully screened populations (i.e. excluding those with ear disease, noise exposure etc.), based on a meta-analysis of published data.[2][3] Age affects high frequencies more than low, and men more frequently than women. One early consequence is that even young adults may lose the ability to hear very high frequency tones above 15 or 16 kHz. Despite this, age-related hearing loss may only become noticeable later in life. The effects of age can be exacerbated by exposure to environmental noise, whether at work or in leisure time (shooting, music, etc.). This is noise-induced hearing loss (NIHL) and is distinct from presbycusis.

Over time, the detection of high-pitched sounds becomes more difficult, and speech perception is affected, particularly of sibilants and fricatives. Both ears tend to be affected.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presbycusis

I've noticed I can't hear anything passed 17k anymore :sad:

i think the rough calculation is that we start at 24khz, then lose 2khz every decade providing there is no other contributing factors, so 17-18khz at the age of 30 is quite normal.

not that i know your 30, i guess you are close though

The average human hearing is 20Hz to 20kHz. I've been working as an audio engineer for the past six years (and three years of a stage hand before that), so I really just think it's a work related hazard. Sigh.

Nah, I've never seen a single person on the Internet report they could hear up to 20kHz. I think 20kHz is the maximum range but not the average one.

Me I can hear 18kHz if I turn the volume up, and 17kHz is already faint. I think I might be slightly allergic or something, because my nose is never completely clear, I feel like I always have a lump in my throat, and my ears click whenever I swallow. I wonder if that affects my hearing...

At least I never go to concerts, and stopped listening to music on the street a while ago...

Most people are born able to perceive frequencies up to 20kHz.

The Fletcher-Munson curve is a graph detailing the range of human hearing and the perception of frequencies in relation to sound pressure level:

070-equalloudness.jpg

A friend of mine has suffered permanent hearing loss.

Whenever things get too loud, afterwards she hears very little to nothing and instead hears a high-pitched tone.

She no longer goes to any parties/concerts or whatever places where sounds would get too loud.

I recommended some earplugs, but even with those she still fears for her hearing.

My grandpa used to be a pilot after WWII.

He can no longer hear anything, because of the constant aircraft engine noises.

Even with his hearing apparatus in you still have to shout at him or he won't hear you.

He can't hear any conversations, can't go to the cinema or any other public meeting, can't hear the doorbell,... etc.

Be lucky if you still have your hearing.

I have mine still fully functional, despite all torture I've given them throughout the years. And am very grateful they haven't suffered any severe damage.

I wouldn't know what to do if I couldn't enjoy all the beautiful music any more.

Never stand next to a speaker/big-ass-monitor!

Cover your ears or move away when things get too loud. Don't just stand there taking the damage.

You can play your music loud, but just for a short duration, not for hours upon hours.

In Belgium all concerts have a maximum dB these days. There's a reason why.

Archived