IGNORED

Primus

essines

Just needs another thread. One of the most idm bands out there that isn't idm. guitarist coming from one of the bands that arguably created the death metal genre, a bassist that studied geddy lee only to become his contemporary, and a drummer that can take a simple beat and funk/mess it up as well as Stuart Copeland.

I fucking love Primus. Name a song by them and I'll love it.

discuss.

-alzado

I as well am a believer....

Although I love everything Primus.....the Sausage record is also a masterpiece!

Not so sure about any of the other Les sides projects....

But everything Primus is better than Mozart!

Earlier today I discovered Les Claypool had released a new solo album. I bought it, but I've yet to listen to it. Tales of Wales and Woe was in my opinion up to par with anything primus did, so I've got high hopes for this one.

I picked up bass guitar in grade 7 because of Primus. For about a year I was obsessed with slap/tap bass because of Les. Unfortunately I didn't keep it up, so my abilities with the slap bass are about the same as they were back then.

i have some street cred when it comes to primus. My friends and I got ahold of the original promo cassette for "Suck on This" and became instant fans, this was in '88 or thereabouts, we used to follow them around to tiny gigs in Oakland and Berkeley when they were basically unknown, playing alongside the likes of Dread Zepplin and Victim's Family. We'd put up posters for them in exchange for free tickets to their shows.

I remember the first time they played the Warfield in SF, right before Sailing the Seas of Cheese was released, it was an amazing show and the first time we realized they were getting huge. Great band.

Edited by lumpenprol
  • Burger 1

my room mate, whilst walking home from work, discovered a cassette tape case in a "free box" in the down town area that contained not only a beautiful cassette storage case but also a copy of Sailing The Seas Of Cheese. For free. I nearly blew him. I have been the proud owner of an original STSOC cassette for a couple of months.

Best part is he knew i loved Primus so he snatched up the free cassette cause he knew i'd like it. i was flattered.

should mention the only format being mentioned in my post is cassette.

I was really into them when STSOC came out. I saw them on the Pork Soda tour with The Melvins opening. Since, I have seen them a couple of times for free on camera jobs.

They are no doubt an amazing band.

Pork Soda was, unfortunately, the last Primus album I bothered listening to. With that album (along with Suck On This, Frizzle Fry, STSOC and Miscellaneous Debris) I felt they kinda took it about as far as they could. Nothing after that really interested me. I guess after a point it sounded a bit like wankery to me. I never cared for any of Claypool's side projects, either. I also tend to loose respect for bands when they start wearing suits and shit.

I just miss that era when they seemed to be more west-coast/skater/punk.

I still prefer them to Rush any day.

I also have a sick Primus T-Shirt that I've had since 8th grade that has this on the front...

PrimusSuckOnThis.jpg

and says YOU SUCK! really big on the back.

I was wearing it on the street in Brooklyn the last summer and some guy with a kid yelled "Hey asshole. You suck!" or something like that. At first I didn't know what was going on and then he continued to yell at me about how stupid and rude I was for wearing that t-shirt. I just said "Sorry man. It is a t-shirt for a band". Then he shouted "Fuck You!". I thought the whole thing was pretty absurd. Granted, maybe it is a bit of an anti-social sentiment to wear a shirt that says "YOU SUCK!" on it, but this guy certainly missed making that point with his tirade of foul language. He certainly was providing his youngster with more negative influence than my t-shirt was.

Sorry. Had to get that out.

fuckin love primus! There is only a few songs by them that I dont like, like Pork Soda, and Is it luck? Saw them live in ottawa for the bluesfest for what may be their last show ever together. Awesome show! The best part is I got into them after they broke up so I was never expecting to see them live, and one day I noticed they were on the setlist for bluesfest. Blew my god damn mind.

fuckin love primus! There is only a few songs by them that I dont like, like Pork Soda, and Is it luck? Saw them live in ottawa for the bluesfest for what may be their last show ever together. Awesome show! The best part is I got into them after they broke up so I was never expecting to see them live, and one day I noticed they were on the setlist for bluesfest. Blew my god damn mind.

how the fuck can you not like "IS IT LUCK"?!?!? WHAT THE FUCK ASSHOLE ARE YOU A COMMIE!>!>!

I've seen Primus 5 times, Les Claypool's Flying Frog Brigade, And Colonel Claypool's Bucket of Bernie Brains (holy fuck that show slayed it!). I love Primus. The brown album sounds so fucking warm and thick i want to cum on it. The only, "Primus" album i didn't absolutely love was anti-pop. The second disk (DVD) of "Animals should not act Like People" was worth the price of 4x what i paid. 10$ new at best buy! Holy fuck. I love primus.

Primus.

Guest Quixote

I love Primus. But I have to say I like the side-projects a bit more. Les's lyrics are generally awful and seem written by a little kid (not an emo kid like NIN but a kid nonetheless). They get in the way of the awesome music.

I love Primus. But I have to say I like the side-projects a bit more. Les's lyrics are generally awful and seem written by a little kid (not an emo kid like NIN but a kid nonetheless). They get in the way of the awesome music.

that's part 'o da charm.

• Thanks 1

I second the brown album. Holy shit. Every single track on that album is absolutely fantastic.

Golden boy is a definate highlight.

Dutchess and the Proverbial Mindspead.

Edited by sneaksta303
  • Like 1

i love primus but dont like anything post Tim Alexander leaving, just didnt have the same feel after that.

Brown album is the first one with the replacement drummer therefore i think its mostly shit. :cry:

tales from the punchbowl as an album is extremely underrated. as is Pork Soda the album, probably their most experimental and just fucking weird album.

im glad Les Claypool is getting the fame he deserves these days but im just what i would call an anti-fan of the whole jam band culturue and it's very hard for me to appreciate any of his involvement in that music scene

I've been really curious about watching 'The Electric Apricot' but at the same time not sure if i would even get any of the humour (i only have heard one jam band group 'Phish')

also does anyone remember seeing video footage of Primus touring for Sailing the Seas of Cheese where they had a scratcher on stage with them? It sounded pretty interesting but i've never heard any other bootlegs f them with a scratcher than what was on that video , here is the video im talking about

http://www.discogs.com/viewimages?release=765966

Edited by Awepittance