IGNORED

frank zappa thread #(n+1)

kaini

Guest Wall Bird

I was actually just watching the 'King Kong' video just last night along with a number of interviews of Frank in his last years.

I don't want to take the time to expound on my love for Frank just yet, but I would be remiss to not recommend my favorites:

Billy the Mountain

Bebop Tango (of the Old Jazzmen's Church)

The Black Page

I have much respect for Zappa, but don't own anything by him. He has very colorful music.

my friends and i are planning a FRANK ZAPPA PARTY wherein all of the dishes will be only those of which mentioned in his work:

Lumpy Gravy

Burnt Weenie Sandwiches

White Port and Lemon Juice (which i recently tried and loved)

Watermelon In Easter Hay

and of course, muffins, with a little green rosetta. (to make it very very betta)

edit: no edit

n' shit

That is a brilliant idea!

I was actually just watching the 'King Kong' video just last night along with a number of interviews of Frank in his last years.

some of the frank vs. PMRC/tipper gore stuff is on youtube, frank is terrifyingly sharp and smart and on point in that stuff.

my friends and i are planning a FRANK ZAPPA PARTY wherein all of the dishes will be only those of which mentioned in his work:

Lumpy Gravy

Burnt Weenie Sandwiches

White Port and Lemon Juice (which i recently tried and loved)

Watermelon In Easter Hay

and of course, muffins, with a little green rosetta. (to make it very very betta)

edit: no edit

n' shit

omfg, CAN I BE YOUR FRIEND?

solo in this is great

the bit starting at about 2:10 where everyone pretty much starts playing different time signature is *jaw drops* :omg:

Edited by kaini

er that's slightly rich coming from you :wink:

why

ha i'm sure you know what i'm talking about though... nothing 'real fan'ish about it. i don't think it's an exclusive club obviously and i'm always trying to turn people on to his music (hence the previous couple of zappa threads i've made)... but go read the zappa.com forum and tell me it doesn't make you slightly depressed. i think the boc forum analogy is pretty apt... i'm not half the boc fan that i'm to zappa, but going there just somehow taints them and attracts certain sort of people.

all forums are depressing, i couldn't handle more than one.

WATMM works for me because it's uniquely an ambiguous collective for a niche scene.

Guest Betty

A great Zappa interview came on randomly as I was listening to my Ipod the other day. I'd downloaded it years ago but had forgotten to listen to it. He talks a lot about early musical influences and pre-Mothers adventures of the late 50's and early 60's. It's probably only really interesting to the few hardcore "Zappologists" (lol) on here but the realxed and rambling nature of the chat is a nice change from radio/televsion interviews where answers inevitably end up being condensed soundbites. Here it is:

http://miketroiano.com/zappa/fz13.mp3

It's 48 minutes long and was done in 1970 (it's odd how his voice sounds so high as this was before his larynx was damaged/altered).

Meanwhile:

Frank Zappa on "The Monkees"

fuckin' lol

Guest IRARI
i'm actually ripping a whole bunch of his albums illegally to give to my uncle and i was thinking i might do a mix...? there's way too much stuff to cover really, but i think i could do a pretty good zappa 101 of the original mothers years (ie. up to hot rats) if anyone's interested in getting a sort of overview of his stuff?

i have his complete discography but i would still listen to your mix

Guest IRARI
Crazy, as I just finished the biography, "Zappa"...by Barry Miles...

:-)

what did you think of it i heard it wasn't spectacular

i'm actually ripping a whole bunch of his albums illegally to give to my uncle and i was thinking i might do a mix...? there's way too much stuff to cover really, but i think i could do a pretty good zappa 101 of the original mothers years (ie. up to hot rats) if anyone's interested in getting a sort of overview of his stuff?

Put me down for one of those. I have been meaning to delve into the discography for years but have never known where to start.

Guest tidbit

gee guys ..you like same music as weed ..

i would have sold or destroyed all my zappa rekkids if i had any, by now