IGNORED

Paul's Boutique

Tessier Ashpool

Hey laaaaaadieessss!!!

Get...  uh ... .funkeh

*ring ding a ding ding*

Blast from the past. . . can't believe this album is 30 yrs old (and that this thread is 10. . .gettin' effin old). .. 

46 minutes ago, joshuatxuk said:

are the Dust Brothers still active? been quiet since the early 00s

not sure about them, but Matt Dike - the reclusive genius that they got most of the albums from for Paul's Boutique samples - passed away last year. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/20/obituaries/matt-dike-hit-making-founder-of-hip-hop-label-dies-at-56.html

On 4/10/2009 at 10:05 AM, BobDobalina said:

Just downloaded this from soulseek and listening to it (already bought the album twice, not about to buy it again) - pretty impressive the samples/lyrics that you can actually hear now - like the call outs to all the girls on the first track and the pingpong at the beginning of 3-minute rule

On 4/10/2009 at 10:26 AM, perunamuussi said:

how were you listening to it before ?

on longwave radio?

Don't know how I overlooked this thread when it first came out, given that Paul's Boutique is one of my "desert island discs", but forreals BobDob, perhaps consider an upgrade from the wax cylinder?

Might I suggest wire recordings?

Christ blud, hold my nachos while I climb into this 10-years-younger suit... seems like I was trying to articulate -poorly- how clearerer this/that detail could be heard on the remaster.

Also in retrospect the bulk of my Paul's Boutique consumption occurred in the late 90s, on a cassette I recorded from my columbia house-version CD, blasted out a pioneer tape deck through the stock speakers of a late model Volvo.  So yeah, pretty close to a wire recording

I always wondered why it sounded so quiet. I've yet to hear a proper version of it, Check Your Head is still my fave.

^ which is zackly why I love it. after the machine/sample-heavy stuff of the preceding albums (which is by no means not great), it's kind of a breath of fresh air.

plus it has Pass The Mic which is my first and still favourite BB tune.

++, Check Your Head remains my favorite too, laid-back, hype, and upside yo head all in one.  Keyboard Money Mark!  I-member just getting into playing drums at the time and feeling like a boss when I could jam along to Gratitude.  Amazing that they did this on the heels of the critical and commercial letdown that was Paul's Boutique.

Noe baes, dis:

ill communication def in my top 10 albums of ever list. (check your head rules too). ame here to post ricky's theme.... instead, 

23 hours ago, BobDobalina said:

Christ blud, hold my nachos while I climb into this 10-years-younger suit... seems like I was trying to articulate -poorly- how clearerer this/that detail could be heard on the remaster.

Also in retrospect the bulk of my Paul's Boutique consumption occurred in the late 90s, on a cassette I recorded from my columbia house-version CD, blasted out a pioneer tape deck through the stock speakers of a late model Volvo.  So yeah, pretty close to a wire recording

Look at mister big shot over here with a late-model volvo.

Spoiler

you know I got nuttin but love for ya BobDob!

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone remember that the 20th anniversary edition came with a giant panoramic print on the album artwork? I think it was super limited edition, maybe only 100 prints. I can't find any information about these (like are they super expensive to buy second hand).

Archived