IGNORED

Patsy Cline: Best Country Singer Who Ever Lived

Guest Iain C

Guest Iain C

Let's talk about Country music for just a second. Now, country music gets a bad reputation from the narrow-minded worlds of rock, pop and dance music - this is largely posturing, so leave your preconceptions at the door. Come on, give them to me. Thanks. Now you can keep reading.

Or rather, keep listening, because this thread is about singer Patsy Cline. Patsy was beautiful, she was talented, and she died in a plane crash aged just 30 years old. Tragically unfair - people go on and on about Jim Morrisson, Kurt Cobain, even Buddy Holly, and how they were stolen from us before their time. But you rarely hear anyone talk about Patsy Cline these days. It's a real shame, because I think her voice is so moving, so delicate yet so strong, and when she sings a song of love or loneliness I find myself genuinely moved. Crazy is my favourite, always has been, a song of broken-heartedness. Try listening to this one on repeat if you've just broken up with a lover.

I fall to pieces is a slightly more upbeat number, still about heartbreak though.

She's Got You is another heartbreak song.

Now here's a really beautiful song, Three Cigarettes in the Ashtray. You might remember this from the GTA: San Andreas soundtrack.

I think it's tragic that Patsy died so young. She was beautiful.

Guest all_purpose_sandpaper

Skeeter Davis owned an ocelot named Fred.

Is it a romance with America Ian?

Guest Iain C

I love America. A lot of British and European people will focus on the bad things about American Culture, especially the American south, but fuck, you gave us Faulkner and Patsy Cline.

i'd rather listen to something like mississippi john hurt or woody guthrie, as far as old country-ish american music goes

I love America. A lot of British and European people will focus on the bad things about American Culture, especially the American south, but fuck, you gave us Faulkner and Patsy Cline.

When sentimental and alone, there is no greater music than Cline. She is the sweetheart of the rodeo. I love this music in bars.

patsy cline is great

glen campbell's gentle on my mind is just magnificent

as is witchita lineman (also by Glen Campbell)

the fantastic expedition of dillard and clark LP by Doug Dillard and Gene Clark

the byrds' sweetheart of the rodeo LP

and lots lots lots lots more

all these records are a billion times better than the whole world of IDM combined

edit: outrageous omission of Gram Parsons in this post

patsy cline is great

Parsons played slidey guitars on rodeo I think Ludd.

i like how Cline's singing is resigned. This is a fine sophistication.

edit : Jerry Reed

patsy cline is great

Parsons played slidey guitars on rodeo I think Ludd.

i like how Cline's singing is resigned. This is a fine sophistication.

edit : Jerry Reed

yeah.. on 1 or 2 tracks he does, but i was shocked and appalled at my omission of his Grievous Angel or GP albums

Guest Iain C

Nice Ludd. Chestnut Mare is a great tune isn't it? My beardy pal Dickon and I like to play a bit of Byrds, ISB or Fairport Convention when we can wrest control of the stereo in my house.

Nice Ludd. Chestnut Mare is a great tune isn't it? My beardy pal Dickon and I like to play a bit of Byrds, ISB or Fairport Convention when we can wrest control of the stereo in my house.

it's probably the best love song about a horse ever written

lol dickon

Anyone willing to put together a mix of country music to dl? I'd be really interested, as I've found myself oddly attracted to the stylings of Conway Twitty lately . . . totally due to the Family Guy, which made me go, "hey, this Conway Twitty shit is pretty awesome!"

But, I know fuckall about the rest of the peeps and I'm lazy, so if someone wants to put together a mix of the above that'd be the tits.

MY MATE WOODY WHO GAVE ME NEARLY ALL HIS GEAR WAS ABSOLUTELY OBBSESSED WITH FOLK AND FOLK ROCK AND TO BE FAIR, HE LOOKED EXACTLY LIKE YOUR MATE THEIR IAIN, ALTHOUGH WHILE YOUR MATES BEARD IS QUITE REASONABLY SIZED AND WELL LOOKED AFTER, HIS WAS DOWN TO HIS BELT LINE AND LOOKED LIKE IT HAD HUNDREDS OF BIRDS NESTS IN IT PERMANATELY.

woops caps

Dicky is the absolute epitome of folk and folk rock. Look at his beard:

n560956144_2760376_7964638.jpg

i hope that doesnt involve all this twee new folk gayness like devendra banhart or whatever his name is

from what i can hear, that is just twee gayness for the sake of being a fucking beardy gaylord

it has nothing to do with REAL MEN's music of broken hearts and drinking like Gram Parsons

which explains why indie fags and IDM virgins seem to like it

every song posted in this thread is worth 10 Autechre albums, or 100 nautilis albums, or 100 billion edit albums

Guest Iain C
Dicky is the absolute epitome of folk and folk rock. Look at his beard:

n560956144_2760376_7964638.jpg

i hope that doesnt involve all this twee new folk gayness like devendra banhart or whatever his name is

from what i can hear, that is just twee gayness for the sake of being a fucking beardy gaylord

it has nothing to do with REAL MEN's music of broken hearts and drinking like Gram Parsons

which explains why indie fags and IDM virgins seem to like it

every song posted in this thread is worth 10 Autechre albums, or 100 nautilis albums, or 100 billion edit albums

No, Dickon hates twee, indie folk, Belle and Sebastian and any of that sort of thing. His favourite artists are Fairport/Sandy Denny, ISB, and Jethro Tull. I think he likes Joanna Newsome but really he's not into modern music, it's one of the many things I love about him.

Guest Iain C

I feel I should add that we also make acoustic music together as the Norfolk Broads.

Very nice song by the way Ludd. I must admit I was really surprised by the reaction to this thread, absolutely no haters so far. Hooray!

• 4 weeks later...

Archived