IGNORED

looking for new anime recommendations

Rubin Farr

Anything by Masaaki Yuasa is gold. He's the only director trying out new things, consequences be damned. Just watched my bluray of Mind Game, and it's still amazing. IMO, no one else comes close for being creative, and not just another 'I got transported to another world!' type story.

About to watch his Yaiba for the first time, and I am excited.

The 1997 TV version of Berserk

In my opinion one of the greatest animes ever

Up there with Neon Genesis

Amazing music score by Susumu Hirasawa

Avoid the newer adaptations of Berserk, some great moments but ultimately a really poor program

Edited by ceiling

Anything by Masaaki Yuasa is gold. He's the only director trying out new things, consequences be damned. Just watched my bluray of Mind Game, and it's still amazing. IMO, no one else comes close for being creative, and not just another 'I got transported to another world!' type story.

About to watch his Kaiba for the first time, and I am excited.

fixed...

Really though, is there anything newish worth watching if you're not a 14 year old weabo? I'm thinking series here.

^ - Wow, the original OVA from '93 had way better animation:

'An oil tanker for you'. Lol not even close, loving the newer animation about fifty times more.

The art style in the new anime is way closer to the manga. The frame rate and general visual style I do not like as much in the newer anime, though aesthetics aside it is much more faithful to the source material than that OVA (the 'oil tanker' was a strange sub along with the overall breakneck pacing, oh and the introduction of Vanilla Ice:

)

The 1997 TV version of Berserk

In my opinion one of the greatest animes ever

Up there with Neon Genesis

Amazing music score by Susumu Hirasawa

Avoid the newer adaptations of Berserk, some great moments but ultimately a really poor program

I love Berserk, as I've stated on here several times. It's hard to track down if you want to buy it, but it's on Youtube in bad quality rips. Still, it's worth watching. The 3 movies retell the series, so that's an alternative to watching it on Youtube (they're on Netflix).

I don't have much of a problem with the look of the new series, unlike most people. It's jarring and looks weird some times, but it really doesn't bother me all that much. I think the next season will probably be mostly 2D, if the last episode was any evidence of what is to come.

Plus, the music is still fantastic.

zlganyqrf70z.gif

For the unaware, this is the quality of the newer version.

And while this episode and the two that followed were particularly horrible, this isn't really indicative of the look of the entire new anime. This seemed like a rush job, perhaps done by multiple people using assets from different places. It looks like total shit, which is bad because the content of these episodes was pretty great. At any rate, yeah, I can see why people hate the way Berserk 16/17 is animated, but this gif isn't really very accurate.

As far as good anime to watch, check out Inuyashiki: Last Hero. It has a weird premise, but it is executed very well and the animation is fantastic.

Also, Kyousougiga is an interesting one. It's absolutely beautiful and the story is cool, too.

Edited by flim

Oh, another one is Juni Taisen. It's a battle royale between 12 warriors that represent the Zodiac. There really isn't a lot of fighting, strangely enough, it's mostly about the people themselves and what things in their lives led them to the battle. I thought it was pretty cool.

^ - Wow, the original OVA from '93 had way better animation:

'An oil tanker for you'. Lol not even close, loving the newer animation about fifty times more.

The art style in the new anime is way closer to the manga. The frame rate and general visual style I do not like as much in the newer anime, though aesthetics aside it is much more faithful to the source material than that OVA (the 'oil tanker' was a strange sub along with the overall breakneck pacing, oh and the introduction of Vanilla Ice:

)

De gustibus et coloribus I suppose :-) the clip you posted seems very American, like honestly super close in visual style to X-men and the likes. I miss all of the pumping action, the over-the top screams, etc.

Also enjoyed this because it's genuinely funny (not because of the titmonsters in it because that honestly cringeworthy and the reason why I only share the face that I watched it with people I don't know IRL haha)

paranoia agent
space dandy
redline
dead leaves
genius party
genius party beyond
akira
noiseman sound insect (Acrid Avid Jam Shred on the ost) [MASAAKI YUASA]
kick-heart [MASAAKI YUASA]
ping pong the animation [MASAAKI YUASA]
the tatami galaxy [MASAAKI YUASA]

Edited by THIS IS MICHAEL JACKSON

Parasyte is pretty fucking cool

I remember loving the Parasyte manga & learned recently that there is an animated series as well! Have you seen it and, if so, is it worthwhile?

Edited by Goiter Sanchez

Every time I try to anime, I nope the fuck out. I think I’m allergic.

i felt the same 1st time i tried... trust me, it's a matter of getting acquainted with it... i got hooked up with evangelion about 15 years ago or such, and while there's a lot of stuff i can't stand, there's also a lot of stuff which is among my favorite things on earth... just like movies and music... there's shit and there's godlike... another thing that bugged me at the beginning and i didn't get at first was the comedy and the exaggeration in face expressions e.g. Snot Bubble and speeches, now it all makes me lol...

btw last nite  watched Masaaky Yuasa latest movie, Lu Over The Wall, i must say it is my least favorite of him, too childish...

Edited by THIS IS MICHAEL JACKSON

Parasyte is pretty fucking cool

I remember loving the Parasyte manga & learned recently that there is an animated series as well! Have you seen it and, if so, is it worthwhile?

I don’t own a tv so caught 6 episodes at a mates, yeah really cool. Said mate also has the manga and he recommended it.

Only series I watched beginning to end was Last Exile. I liked it. I watched Gundam and Dragonball Z on Cartoon Network back in the day but that doesn't really count. 

I can watch any lighthearted Miyazaki film every weekend forever for the rest of my life and I'm ok with that.