IGNORED

New Aphex Twin Album Due This Year

Joyrex

Okay, let's try this again, with a few rules:

No mention of Konklaver.

No silly multi-page nonsense posts.

You can speculate about the new album, but please don't get OT too much like what happened on the other thread.

For those not in the know - a mention was made by WARP Records' co-founder Steve Beckett that a new Aphex Twin album was due to come out 'soon' - read the full article here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/6music/news/20090313_aphex_twin.shtml

For those who are too lazy:

13 March 2009 - Experimental wizard Aphex Twin is notoriously reclusive when it comes to his music but 6 Music can reveal his new album's in the works.

Steve Beckett, founder of Aphex’s parent label Warp Records, exclusively said: “We’re definitely going to be putting out a new album by him. Hopefully it will be this year, if I can prise it out of his hands. It’s definitely on its way.”

Recently Warp has brought us music by the likes of Jamie Lidell, Squarepusher as well as bands like !!!, Grizzly Bear and Maximo Park.

It is celebrating its 20th anniversary this year with several big gigs in London, New York Tokyo and Paris and have already revealed that Richard James, better known as Aphex Twin, will be playing a show in the French Capital on 9 May.

His last release was in April 2006, titled Chosen Lords, a compilation of the Analord material."Hopefully it will be this year, if I can prize it out of his hands. It's definitely on its way."

Warp Records founder

Speaking about working with the influential artist, Beckett said: “He’s got his own unique view on life and obviously he’s just a genius musician and artist and it’s brilliant to work with him. He’s a genuine, English eccentric.”

However, the new material will be kept firmly under wraps until late in the recording process, continued Beckett.

“I don’t know a single note or anything about it,” he explained. “It will be as much of a surprise to me as anyone else.

“Basically I find out what it sounds like when we go into the mastering room and he puts it - well how it used to be, he'll put the DAT player in and there it’ll be - so that’s the first time I’ll hear it.

“Then I’ll go onto my knees and thank him and then we’ll put it out.”

Speaking about the forthcoming shows, Beckett said he is thrilled with the final Paris line-up: “The big coup there is getting Aphex Twin to play so that was the one that we were really excited to pin down.”

Georgie Rogers

LOL @ that next to last Steve quote

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>">
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">This track to be released please

type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>">
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">This track to be released please

THAT's WHAT I'M SAYING!

Guest aphelion

hi, haven't posted here in a while

so...just some thoughts i had (may generate some sort of debate)

richard seems like he is creating a new record with warp.

warp are (financially at least) probably in need of some decent "saleable" material (just my opinion).

he may be slowing/settling down with family, getting a bit middle aged etc.

drukqs was moderately/commercially successful, but critically was "a bit" slated for lacking

his previous beautiful melodies (not my opinion, his best album :beer: ).

chosen lords was critically praised for bringing back some of his trademark melodies,

and that manchester number is a right tune..

taking all this into account, + judging by his recent comments on hiphop producers, and that calvin harris tee shirt :omg:

anything thinking he might sell out a bit on the next one?

drukqs was pushed rather hard when it came out don't forget... i remember seeing pictures of that (those?) store filled with drukqs records

i don't give a shit if it sounds poppish though, i mean look at windowlicker, and it wails

warp are (financially at least) probably in need of some decent "saleable" material (just my opinion).

drukqs was moderately/commercially successful, but critically was "a bit" slated for lacking

chosen lords was critically praised for bringing back some of his trademark melodies,

taking all this into account, + judging by his recent comments on hiphop producers, and that calvin harris tee shirt :omg:

Richard takes his music too seriously to just release anything (Smojphace notwithstanding), especially if WARP begged him to, so I suspect he's wanting to do this on his own accord.

there's nothing to be discussed yet so you won't get any content from this thread. juss sayin'

People can speculate, y'know...

Its coming out this year for sure... there is no way Aphex would be doing all this touring if he didn't have something to promote.

My guess is we'll know when this album comes out after the Warp20 event in Paris.

Guest Drahken

Oh good, this will hopefully cut down on the number of Konk referenced on the internetz. Its amazing how many people blindly scooped up that album title and ran with it...well I guess not after The Tuss.

But hes not actually promoting anything. Only a few of the tracks he has been playing lately have sounded like unreleased material, and most of it is stuff he has been playing for a few years now, along with the Tuss stuff that was released. And this interview is so uncertain sounding it makes me think that RDJ is going to have to pull some effort together to provide an LP for warp, so I'm thinking it may take some time and it probably isn't even completely finished. I'm sure he has some tracks in the works, but my impression is that these days aphex just remixes his stuff over and over, even stuff he has already released. Like the promo mixes for drukqs, or the mp3 on rephlex, or the live remixes of his tuss material. I think we have heard a lot of the raw material that may eventually evolve into the songs on the LP(?) but most of the stuff is just so raw sounding and not many of them sound like finished quality to me. I feel like if he had a bunch of amazing tracks ready to go, he would be eager to play them live.

But hes not actually promoting anything. Only a few of the tracks he has been playing lately have sounded like unreleased material, and most of it is stuff he has been playing for a few years now, along with the Tuss stuff that was released. And this interview is so uncertain sounding it makes me think that RDJ is going to have to pull some effort together to provide an LP for warp, so I'm thinking it may take some time and it probably isn't even completely finished. I'm sure he has some tracks in the works, but my impression is that these days aphex just remixes his stuff over and over, even stuff he has already released. Like the promo mixes for drukqs, or the mp3 on rephlex, or the live remixes of his tuss material. I think we have heard a lot of the raw material that may eventually evolve into the songs on the LP(?) but most of the stuff is just so raw sounding and not many of them sound like finished quality to me. I feel like if he had a bunch of amazing tracks ready to go, he would be eager to play them live.

I think its a possibility that whatever he has in store for us... might not exactly be DJ material... I didn't mean promotion in a typical sense either... for Richard, showing up is pretty much all the promotion you are going to get.

Who really knows in the end though... I just think that with WARP touting this Paris event pretty much every week in emails or on their site... and Aphex headlining... it would be kind of lame if after the event nothing about the new album is mentioned.

hmm... i'm still not 100% convinced about this.

“We’re definitely going to be putting out a new album by him. Hopefully it will be this year, if I can prise it out of his hands. It’s definitely on its way.”

basically, the big news is that a new album will come out eventually (after an 8 years hiatus since his last lp).

why all the talk about being released in 2009? facts please :S

Yes.

Also Chris Cunningham is doing something "live" at this Warp20 event in Paris... is it just coincidence that Richard and him are re-surfacing together at the same time? He has to be working with Aphex on a new video, at least I hope so.

Warp will definitely be pushing this new album in all shapes and forms. I mean no one last year really thought about a WARP/Aphex relationship again... so them scoring this is basically a big fuck you to all the doubters... though if anything it kind of concretes the idea that WARP is pretty much nothing without Aphex and the original gang (Autechre, Squarepusher, Boards)... plus them losing Prefuse 73 was kind of big in my opinion (Ampexian is amazing).

Overall though I think this relationship is about to start all over again. I think Richard came up with some sort of solution to the whole "contract ordeal.." and WARP is getting desperate for some revenues... that they both just finally moved on from the past and now know that some sort of relationship benefits everyone (fans included).

I mean the whole reason Richard left was because they were asking for "too much, too fast." But if now he can control the time of release (appears judging from the CEO quote, whenever he's fucking done with it) the amount of releases... then what the fuck... why the hell not! right?! And its not like this really hurts REPHLEX because the more attention Aphex gets, the more attention Rephlex gets, so they will be mutually beneficial.

Guest Drahken

Didn't that BBC article say something about it already being in the mastering process?

definitely disagree with you on that one; they only started releasing "saleable" material with maximo park, born ruffians, jamie lidell, !!!, battles, gravenhurst, etc.

people don't give nearly as much a fuck about idm as they do about these artists

definitely disagree with you on that one; they only started releasing "saleable" material with maximo park, born ruffians, jamie lidell, !!!, battles, gravenhurst, etc.

people don't give nearly as much a fuck about idm as they do about these artists

yes but at the same time another Druqks would probably make them more money than any LP by any of those artists you mentioned

Archived